The Canon Thread
May 18, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #616 of 2,718
Of course that was an overstatement. I understand your confusion though, since it might be I seemed to make a mini-rant there.

I still think that photography is an art form that's over-infested with people with no skill, or at least I can't filter it out the same way I can avoid amateur writing for example.

I think the point here might be the same that's has been said before in this thread, too. Having great equipment doesn't make you a great photographer. I don't have a problem with people shooting photos for their own enjoyment, I just feel the (art) photography field has more amateurs producing meaningless pieces of work than any other field of culture.

May 18, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #617 of 2,718
Alright, I agree to that. Thats why I got myself a nice P&S to learn first. With the lowering price of DSLR there are alot of people who really shouldn't have them, leaving them on auto and taking the same shots they could get with a P&S, that every other tourist is taking.

May 18, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #618 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I agree to that. Thats why I got myself a nice P&S to learn first. With the lowering price of DSLR there are alot of people who really shouldn't have them, leaving them on auto and taking the same shots they could get with a P&S, that every other tourist is taking.

A nice DSLR on auto will take a better image than a P&S on auto.
I claim there is no such thing as a person who 'really shouldn't have them'.

May 18, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #619 of 2,718
I don't know, I really don't think that spending the money on capabilities you aren't going to use really makes sense. I also don't think people should drive SUVs or Jeeps that never go offroad, that a 61" HDTV is a good idea when all you're watching is SD cable or that you should buy an Xbox360 when all you really want to play is ikaruga and contra. But as always, thats simply IMO.

May 18, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #620 of 2,718
Quote:

I don't know, I really don't think that spending the money on capabilities you aren't going to use really makes sense. I also don't think people should drive SUVs or Jeeps that never go offroad, that a 61" HDTV is a good idea when all you're watching is SD cable or that you should buy an Xbox360 when all you really want to play is ikaruga and contra. But as always, thats simply IMO.

If it makes them happy, that's all that matters.

May 18, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #621 of 2,718
Quote:

You make valid points, but your examples aren't quite the same:

A SUV or Jeep will not drive better on tarmac than any other four door saloon.
A 61" 1080p HDTV will not show SDTV better than a 480p TV. If anything, it'll look worse.
[size=xx-small](I don't really know what ikaruga and contra is so can't argue that point
tongue.gif
)[/size]

However, a DSLR in Program or Auto will nearly always deliver better results than a P&S regardless of subject. I can get lower noise performance, more vivid colours, less barrel/pincushion distortion, sharper edges and less camera shake shooting "P&S" (aka auto everything) with a D300 and VR2 lens than my Panasonic P&S. Overkill for your average Joe? Maybe... but in the hands of even the least experienced but mildly enthusiastic shooter, the DSLR will still come out on top.

Unless you really need an ultra-portable, cheap and/or discrete solution (eg black-tie events, weddings, clubbing, etc), I can think of no other reasons why one shouldn't go for a basic DSLR kit.

May 18, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #622 of 2,718
I admit, as photofinisher, sometimes I do question why customers would want a certain picture to be printed, especially if the lighting is poor/overly bright, composition is off, out of focus, elements that are important to making a solid photograph. I have to remind myself of the reason why people take photographs in the first place: to enjoy a certain moment of life by preserving it as much as possible. While I'm a gear nut myself, it is more important to capture things than to worry about what you have in your hand/bag (Although those who shoot for a living have to do both.)

May 18, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #623 of 2,718
Having shot with both a high-end P&S and a DSLR I can honestly say that for the vast majority of picture usages, it's overkill. Joe Schmoe who shares pictures on facebook and prints out the occasional 8x10 glossy isn't going to notice that 4x $ difference in any of the things you mentioned. But hey, I'm glad you enjoy yours and can appreciate the difference. Perhaps you have much different non-technical friends than I do.

May 18, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #624 of 2,718
ISO400 and up is quite a difference regarding P&S vs. DSLRs though. Less shutter lag is another reason why I'd use DSLR.

May 18, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #625 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ISO400 and up is quite a difference regarding P&S vs. DSLRs though. Less shutter lag is another reason why I'd use DSLR.

Not to mention that your standard kit lens is going to let in more light than most of the P&S cameras out there today.

There is no comparison, your standard DSLR is going to trounce the P&S. I have not seen a P&S that I would rather have over my old D50 and kit lens.

To say that some people do not deserve it is, in my opinion, just ignorance. It goes against the whole idea of free choice!

May 18, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #626 of 2,718
@RedLeader

Ah yes. I never said the user would necessarily notice the difference, but the differences are there, some very obvious too! eg. most point and shoots have very obvious barrel distortion at the wide end but I guess the average person wouldn't care about or notice it. If you're only going to be posting candids on facebook, then I wouldn't even suggest shelling out a few hundred for a DSLR.

May 18, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #627 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To say that some people do not deserve it is, in my opinion, just ignorance. It goes against the whole idea of free choice!

Please don't make things up and then insult me. Thank you.

May 18, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #628 of 2,718
Quote:

Please don't make things up and then insult me. Thank you.

Sorry friend, but your comment is what I call: a statement from ignorance.
Don't worry, lots of people make ignorant remarks...... the real trick is to learn from it and try and see things form a different perspective before making similar comments in the future. Good luck with that.

May 18, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #629 of 2,718
Which part was ignorance? When did I say people don't "deserve" to own them. When did I say I don't believe in free choice?

Don't worry, lots of people misread things.... the real trick is to learn from it and not make things up.

May 19, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #630 of 2,718
Quote:

Don't worry, lots of people misread things.... the real trick is to learn from it and not make things up.

Haha! I can't deny, that was good.
^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back