The Canon Thread
May 9, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #586 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, the focus speed was out of this world, and the images I shot with it, just playing around, had a certain nice quality. Much like my 180, it just had a niceness about people pictures, that I've not gotten from any others I've used for that purpose. Perhaps it was the nature of the bokeh, or perhaps I was being seduced by full-frame as much as I was the lens itself.

Hm, thanks for the info.

The Full Frame is a big difference. I've seen pictures taken with a budget lens on a FF canon that look better than those taken on a crop sensor with a good lens.

2x on the ergonomics. ^_^

May 9, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #587 of 2,718
Quote:

Hmm, the focus speed was out of this world, and the images I shot with it, just playing around, had a certain nice quality.

Hah, there is no way in h3ll I'd pay the going rate ($4k) for a 28 1.4.

Did you take photos with your memory card to check out later?

I don't think the 35 1.4 is the type of lens that needs fast focus. Actually this is one of the slower focusing lenses but it depends where you're coming from .
wink.gif

Yeah no kidding about the Nikon 28 1.4. I rather have the 200 2.0.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #588 of 2,718
Ergonomics is somthing you can adjust to over time. Sure it's uncomfortable at first, but you become accustomed to it.

May 10, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #589 of 2,718
Quote:

Hmm, the focus speed was out of this world, and the images I shot with it, just playing around, had a certain nice quality. Much like my 180, it just had a niceness about people pictures, that I've not gotten from any others I've used for that purpose. Perhaps it was the nature of the bokeh, or perhaps I was being seduced by full-frame as much as I was the lens itself.

~~~ snip ~~~

The 35 1.4L is a terrific lens, Peter. I am totally with you on this one, just ignore lan's attempts to put it down.
biggrin.gif

It is terrific on crop bodies, acting like a 56mm "normal" lens. These are taken with the 40D:

A severe crop of a bird, indicating sharpness ..
35-14L-Samples5of8.jpg

Couple of flowers ...
35-14L-Samples4of8.jpg

Three in low light inside a bar ...
35-14L-Samples1of8.jpg

Focus was on the bartender, not the boobies, lol.
35-14L-Samples2of8.jpg

35-14L-Samples3of8.jpg

Great colors ...
35-14L-Samples7of8.jpg

Here's one with the 5D ...
35-14L-Samples8of8.jpg

Note that all of them are just snapshots with no care to lighting, etc, and no PP except for the crop on the bird.

This lens is on my camera the most, and I know it gives me the best chance for a great image.

May 11, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #590 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 35 1.4L is a terrific lens, Peter. I am totally with you on this one, just ignore lan's attempts to put it down.
biggrin.gif

Not to be contrarian, but I couldn't tell if that was taken with a nikon + nikkor prime or a Canon + L prime lens. The 2 pink flowers reminds me of the pictures my 18-200VR produce.

May 11, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #591 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7
Not to be contrarian, but I couldn't tell if that was taken with a nikon + nikkor prime or a Canon + L prime lens. The 2 pink flowers reminds me of the pictures my 18-200VR produce.

All shots were with the Canon 35 1.4L. The first 6 on a Canon 40D, the last on a Canon 5D. As mentioned, they were just random snaps, but wanted to show my enthusiasm for that piece of glass. Totally agree that any of them, except perhaps the low natural light ones, could have been shot with many other lenses. Not offered as any kind of proof of superiority, just sharing a few examples.

Good images, in my experience, usually depend more on the photographer than the gear. It is nice to have gear that you like and have confidence in, however.

May 11, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #592 of 2,718
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Hey I own this lense too ya know
wink.gif

If you don't play to a lens' strength it'll be harder to tell what it is vs. any other lens.

May 11, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #593 of 2,718
Just shot a wedding on Saturday with the EOS 5D (which is a wonderful camera, as all of you already know), and a Tamron 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 XR IF Macro, and I thought it's critical to have that extra stop at f/2.8 or two stops at f/1.4 for available light. For available light, I was mostly shooting at ISO 1600-3200, and while the noise seemed tolerable, less of it at ISO 800 would be much better for post processing. Here's one that I thought it turned out pretty well. I was bounce flashing off the ceiling with the 580EX, which was powered by a Quantum Turbo 2X2 battery pack.

weddingforwebqj7.jpg

May 11, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #594 of 2,718
Quote:

All shots were with the Canon 35 1.4L.

Glad you like it. I'm sure it is very nice.
On a totally unrelated note, I love how much effort people put by making sure the L is red. I get a kick out of that. ^_^

May 11, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #595 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a totally unrelated note, I love how much effort people put by making sure the L is red. I get a kick out of that. ^_^

Aw, shucks ... it ain't no thang, but glad you like it.
wink.gif

May 11, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #596 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7

Aw, shucks ... it ain't no thang, but glad you like it.
wink.gif

Missed out a couple
wink.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

May 11, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #598 of 2,718
It's a sickness!!!!!!!!
Haha.

May 12, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #599 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just shot a wedding on Saturday with the EOS 5D (which is a wonderful camera, as all of you already know), and a Tamron 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 XR IF Macro, and I thought it's critical to have that extra stop at f/2.8 or two stops at f/1.4 for available light. For available light, I was mostly shooting at ISO 1600-3200, and while the noise seemed tolerable, less of it at ISO 800 would be much better for post processing. Here's one that I thought it turned out pretty well. I was bounce flashing off the ceiling with the 580EX, which was powered by a Quantum Turbo 2X2 battery pack.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4...gforwebqj7.jpg

Need faster lense to expose more ambient light!

May 13, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #600 of 2,718
Hey guys, I just grabbed a Canon 30D for super cheap with no lenses. I have a Canon A710IS already. Will it be significantly better in terms of PQ, given the much smaller sensor and age (3.3/7.1) and what should I look at in terms of a cheap starter lens or 2? I like people, macro nature and architecture photography and do a bunch with my A710IS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back