The Canon Thread
May 19, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #631 of 2,718
smily_headphones1.gif
We now return you to our regularily scheduled non-arguing Canon thread!

Got a Canon 35-70mm f3.5 w/macro on the way! Huzzah for cheap lenses.

May 19, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #632 of 2,718
Sounds cool. Post some pics when you get it.

Ok new topic.....

What's a very nice (very slim, pocket size) point and shoot that can shoot RAW (hack or mod, whatever)?

I just need something to carry around everyday when I can't lug my slr around. Even with my tamron 17-50 it's a bit bulky. I'd prefer canon, as I like the quality and features. I'd also like to pack as much optical zoom in as possible, but it's not a necessity.

Actually a fast lens that would be decent in low-light would be much more important than zoom.

So features need to be:
1. Compact as possible.
2. fast lens that's good in low light. Zoom not a necessity, but would be nice.
3. Can shoot RAW. I read about hacks that can enable this.

What do you think?

May 19, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #633 of 2,718
Give the Panasonic DMC-LX2 a test-drive if possible. It's near identical to the Leica D-Lux 3, but much cheaper. I've played around with my brother's and the noise performance is a step up from the previous generation of Panasonic Lumix cameras.

May 27, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #635 of 2,718
Returning to the thread here. Used a Canon 10D and Rebel XT in the past and thinking of grabbing a 40D with the rebates.

Also planning on going with the body alone then adding a Tammy 17-50, Canon 85 1.8 (owned and loved it in the past) and then a Canon 70-200L f4 IS. I should be pretty covered with that set up right??

My areas to shoot would be portraits, landscapes and daylight sports for the most part. Maybe some macros later on.

Thanks for any advice.

May 27, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #636 of 2,718
Do you still own the 10D and XT or are they sold or are you selling them?

40D sounds like a good plan. Those 3 focal lengths and lenses you chose would work well.
smily_headphones1.gif
One thing though, why do you want f4 IS vs. 2.8 though? For sports, you may want a faster shutter speed.

May 27, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #637 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you still own the 10D and XT or are they sold or are you selling them?

40D sounds like a good plan. Those 3 focal lengths and lenses you chose would work well.
smily_headphones1.gif
One thing though, why do you want f4 IS vs. 2.8 though? For sports, you may want a faster shutter speed.

I have nothing now. Sold all my Canon stuff. Wish I had kept my Tamron 28-75mm XR Di as well as my Canon 85mm f1.8.

Yeah I am thinking the 2.8 would be better for all sports but the size and weight may matter. I will probably take a trip to NYC to handle the gear at B&H Photo. The shots I have seen coming from the 70-200mm f4 IS have been incredible. I have not seen such color and richness.

May 27, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #638 of 2,718
Wow. Going all the way to B&H. That's pretty hardcore. I cannot handle the 5 hours train ride from Boston though. It's a bit too much for me.
tongue.gif
If you're going to go to B&H, it's closed early on Friday, closed on Saturday, and Sunday is a madhouse. Weekdays is probably best. Are you going to make a day excursion out of it? If so I might be able to meet up with you and we could actually shoot with these lenses as I have both 70-200s. I hang out at B&H often.
tongue.gif

May 27, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #639 of 2,718
Quote:

Wow. Going all the way to B&H. That's pretty hardcore. I cannot handle the 5 hours train ride from Boston though. It's a bit too much for me.
tongue.gif
If you're going to go to B&H, it's closed early on Friday, closed on Saturday, and Sunday is a madhouse. Weekdays is probably best. Are you going to make a day excursion out of it? If so I might be able to meet up with you and we could actually shoot with these lenses as I have both 70-200s. I hang out at B&H often.
tongue.gif

I did not notice you were from NYC. I would probably take a bus early on a weekday since I usually have those off. I have not been to the city in some time and would love to hit some sites. Thanks for the invite dude.

EDIT: Aren't you in the Nikon camp though?? or shoot both systems which is kind of odd?

May 27, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #640 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So features need to be:

1. Compact as possible.
2. fast lens that's good in low light. Zoom not a necessity, but would be nice.
3. Can shoot RAW. I read about hacks that can enable this.

What do you think?

Sd1000 with cdhk works for 1&3 for myself, but there is a version of the sd1000 that can't use the hack. As for 2 I don't think low light sensitivity and portability travel in the same circles.

May 27, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #641 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sd1000 with cdhk works for 1&3 for myself, but there is a version of the sd1000 that can't use the hack. As for 2 I don't think low light sensitivity and portability travel in the same circles.

I think Fuji has the low light/high ISO thing down pat when it comes to P&S cams.

EDIT: The Fujifilm FinePix F50d looks to be pretty solid. I forgot this was a Canon thread. No RAW with this camera and it is not a Canon. My bad.

EDIT 2: That Fuji is pretty impressive. 12MP and it is pretty fast in operation, with pretty low noise levels at elevated ISOs. Not bad for a $200 camera.

May 27, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #642 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not notice you were from NYC. I would probably take a bus early on a weekday since I usually have those off. I have not been to the city in some time and would love to hit some sites. Thanks for the invite dude.

EDIT: Aren't you in the Nikon camp though?? or shoot both systems which is kind of odd?

Yeah. New Yawk. Couldn't you tell by the accent?
tongue.gif
Weekdays (except Friday) are definitely less hectic at B&H.

I have no brand loyality. I'm in 3 camps
tongue.gif
I just use whatever is unique and has special look to it. I'll also give you an unbiased opinion about each.
wink.gif

May 27, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #643 of 2,718
Quote:

Yeah. New Yawk. Couldn't you tell by the accent?
tongue.gif
Weekdays (except Friday) are definitely less hectic at B&H.

I have no brand loyality. I'm in 3 camps
tongue.gif
I just use whatever is unique and has special look to it. I'll also give you an unbiased opinion about each.
wink.gif

Which brand for the 3rd camp? Olympus or Pentax?

May 27, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #644 of 2,718
3rd brand is Minolta. I like them and Fuji also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back