Aug 5, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like the Bond films more.
wink.gif

no arguments from me
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #48 of 56
Saw it. Loved it, as I did the first two.

One mistake I detected was during the final chase in NYC. At one point he is on his way to East 71st, and looks up at a street sign that says "East 48th". So, he only has to go ~twenty blocks straight uptown.

Then a few seconds later, a radio communicae describes him as heading "East to Port Authority". There is no way he would be traveling in that direction to get to his desired destination. It would have taken him almost ten blocks south & several blocks West to get to Port Athority! Why would he go that way (which would be West, not East)? I guess they had to have that scene on the top of the Port Authority parking garage
tongue.gif

Aside from that, I still enjoyed it a lot. I love how he takes everyday items (newspaper, plate, book, whatever) and turns it into a hand-to-hand combat weapon. So cool!

Julia Stiles looked pretty good too. I never found her attractive before, but she is maturing into her look nicely.

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I'll bite. What's "really idiotic sounding" about the three words The Bourne Ultimatum?

it sounds like Bush's address to Iraq no offense. I don't really remember the plot of the series but what exactly is his ultimatium? Tell me my identity or I'll kill you? Stop chasing me or I'll kill you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did the director of these movies buy your girlfriend a drink at a bar and end up taking her home or something? I've never heard of anyone who simply hated these movies. You sir, are truly original!

Hmm oddly enough. When I watched the first movie I was left with the impression of, wow what an incredibly boring and predictable story line. Its an action movie/summer flick that you watch and immediately forget. I've seen some pretty bad action movies, and strangely I can remember every single one of them, including at least a handful of characters. Examples are the tuxedo with jackie chan, or the one with jet li or even paycheck(or something like that) with ben affleck. I cannot for the life of me remember a single character other than matt damon in the bourne series, nor can I remember a single scene from the movie.

When I learned that it was based on a book (after reading this thread) I was kind of shocked. I really feel sorry for the author that such a bad rendition of his novels was created. Or was print series bad as well?

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #50 of 56
For those interested, opening weekend box office:

The Bourne Identity $27.1 million
The Bourne Supremacy $52.5 million
The Bourne Ultimatum $70.2 million
Bratz $4.3 million

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #51 of 56
Saw it tonight. Horrible, horrible camerawork.

I don't like it when the shaking camera is used in television shows (NYPD Blue) to display "gritty reality" and it screws up action movies too. I haven't seen that much shaking of the camera throughout a movie (both action and dialogue moments!) in a long, long time (maybe ever). It pulls me OUT of the moment, not into it, as I'm reminded someone is trying a film technique.

Just keep the camera steady, so I can see what's going on.

I even tried going into the aisle leading into the theater (all the way back), but it didn't help.

Outside of that, I thought it was the best in the series. Good acting, good story, plenty of adrenaline fueled action. I won't see it again because of the camera issues, however.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #52 of 56
Am a fan of the previous two.
just saw it and worth my 10.50 and I haven't thought that in a long long time...
I'd rank the 1 and 3 a tie with the 2nd just a little behind.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #53 of 56
I just finished watching it; it was a super-rush for me because I just watched Heat before it.
icon10.gif

The shaky camera WILL get people sick if they got dizzy in the second movie. Zomg, the car chase and fight scenes...the camera did make sense, but still a bit too much shaking imo.

Very good movie, with lots of suspense. It is best to get a quick recap of the last two to re-familiarize yourself with the characters and situation, but it's all good if you don't.

At least watch this over that Bratz junk.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #54 of 56
I saw it yesterday and loved it. It's very helpful to watch the other movies in order to piece it all together. I loved how this one tied into Supremacy.

The shaky camera didn't bother me at all, and I think it's effective in displaying the chaotic and impulsive nature of what's going on.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #55 of 56
Got a chance to see it this past weekend and throughly enjoyed it. Probably the the best movie I've seen this summer so far. No doubt it's action packed from beginning to end. The camera work didn't pose a problem for me but I can see where it will bother some. Definitely recommend seeing it.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #56 of 56
I really liked the first movie and thought the second one was okay, but Ultimatum was just bad:

Action. The whole reason the first Bourne movie was something special was that it's action was somewhat believable. Boom-boom-boom, it's over, and Damon's standing there with that oh-****-I'm-still-alive look on his face. Highly trained super-spy, yes, but every fight scene felt like he'd got away with something, like it was just survival.

This time around, CIA Goon #1 sticks his gun through the doorway, Bourne beats the crap out of him; CIA Goon #2 sticks his gun through the doorway, etc. Or CIA Goons #3-8 converge on Bourne, Bourne beats the crap out of them. It just felt coregraphed this time around, more Jackie Chan than real life.

Repetition and poor story. There just wasn't much new and cool in this one. The action was more over the top, but not in any way new. The big fight scene with the hit-man in Morocco was pretty much the same as the fight scene in Bourne's apartment in the first movie, or at the assassin's house in the second movie (but without the bad guy's hands tied). More household props as improvised weapons.

Some scenes were just way too reminiscent of scenes from the prior films: the hair-dying scene, the Bourne's-watching-Pam-through-her-window scene. Recurring themes: sweet little Nicky turning up again, Pam's territorial pissing contest with some big bad out-of-control male colleague. A whole new set of recovered memories for Bourne. The same annoying semi-flashback sequences of overlaid images of past and present as in the second movie.

The story line was more out there. The whole CIA is evil; it water-boards its own employees and kills them off by the dozen, along with other Americans and the odd British journalist. General incoherence: do we ever figure out what Bourne was doing in Moscow in the beginning? Wasn't Bourne's dead girlfriend German? -- why then was her brother distinctly American, and what was the point of the scene where Bourne visited him anyway?

Cinematography. Camera shakes and close cropping have their place. But this was truly ridiculous. I mean, it was Blair Witch in Manhattan. Hey, cameraman, you lost 'em about a half mile back! You can stop running! How does a scene that turns into one long motion blur translate as "exciting"? Especially when it's the whole damn film. It's not gritty and realistic. It's just blurry. Really, really blurry.

Same for the countless cuts that each last, oh, two tenths of a second. Seriously, a lot of these shots had to have been just a couple of frames apiece. Were Greengrass and his editor paid by the cut? Did someone lock them in the editing room with nothing but a bottle of amphetamines and a buzz saw? (Also on the editing, I didn't think the temporal jumps were handled very well. Big jumps in time and place from scene to scene.)

Shake-cut-sh-sh-shake-shake-cut-cut-cut-c-c-c-cut-shake-cut!

Soundtrack. Must it have the same drum-'n'-bass track for the whole two hours?

Anyway, I guess it's about what's to be expected of the third movie in an action series. But I don't understand at all why so many critics liked it.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back