The BMG Thread
Apr 14, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #76 of 103
For those who love classical piano: "The Wlliam Kapell Edition," a 9-cd set which usually retails for over $125 is on clearance at the BMG site for about $35. I can't vouch for the quality of the recordings, however, Kapell's death at a fairly young age was considered to be a loss for American musicianship. I have one vinyl recording of him playing a Brahms sonata - worth the detour IMO and the compelling reason that I ordered this set.

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #77 of 103
Offered for your consideration:

D1448687 Jorma Kaukonen "Blue Country Heart"-Jorma is the former lead guitarist for Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna. This is an excellent acoustic Americana-type music album. Guest appearances by Bela Fleck and Sam Bush. Highly reccommended.

They also have five remastered Jefferson Airplane albums and the remastered first Hot Tuna album.

Does BMG still give referral credits? I haven't signed up with them in years, but now I'm tempted again. PM me if you are a member and the referral system is still around.

Apr 24, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #78 of 103
I recently cancelled my membership with BMG, then they called offering me an additional 5 free cds if I restore my account and buy 1 more at full price, so now I'm back on board.

Also, are all the CDs re-manufactured by BMG? I've gotten some that look just like the original and don't say "Manufactured for BMG" anywhere on them, but rather have a regular barcode. 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' comes to mind.

Finally, here are some of my picks:

New Order - Substance (counts as 2 free cds)
Blur - Parklife
Talking Heads - Remain In Light
Weezer - Pinkerton

Apr 29, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #79 of 103
Most of what I picked up are already on the list, but I also got Beth Orton: Daybreaker, The Raspberries: Collectors Series, and Delaney & Bonnie and Friends: D & B Together.
Thanks for the info, by the way -- I've been able to pick up some quality CDs I probably would have never gotten around to buying by browsing in a store.

Apr 29, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #80 of 103
how long is it taking everyone to receive their shipments? feels like i've been waiting forever. i'm spoiled by tower, i guess, which seems to get here in less than a week plus no shipping charges at this time when ordering $20 worth or more.

Apr 29, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #81 of 103
My CDs shipped on the 23rd and got here today, so six days total.

Apr 30, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #82 of 103
I've updated the list again. A couple ideas on what might make this thread even more useful:

1) Please try to make your submissions in the format:

#Dxxxxxxxx [artist name - last, first, the] - [album title]

2) If members wrote a little bit on why they chose an album, what the style is and all that kind of stuff. It could probably easily be researched... but it might be nice to have it in the thread to just read through and get ideas. Then again, the thread might become too exhaustive in time. I don't know. For now I'll just leave the list as it is, and accept any and all submissions.

May 1, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #83 of 103
Okay, to make my list easier to read, according to LobsterSan's suggestions:

D111006 Dylan, Bob - Blood on the Tracks //A lot of these albums were to filll up some of the "classic" holes in my collection.
D110575 Dylan, Bob - Blonde on Blonde
D131071 Flaming Lips, The - The Soft Bulletin //Don't know their music well, figured I'd see if I like it. HDCD.
D102093 Waits, Tom - The Heart of Saturday Night
D148370 Bowie, David - Low (Remastered)
D130088 Kottke, Leo - One Guitar, No Vocals //This guy's a walking masterpiece.
D165004 Beatles, The - Abbey Road //This is the one I "bought"
D148029 Delaney & Bonnie and Friends - D & B Together //70's roots rock classic. Guests include Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, Leon Russell, Billy Preston, and lots more.
D123252 Williams, Lucinda - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road //HDCD
D102048 Raspberries, The - Capitol Collectors Series //If you like the Kinks, check this album out.
D148289 Orton, Beth - Daybreaker //Beautiful, lush.
D118337 Simon, Paul - Graceland //I would buy a CD player just to listen to this album.

May 28, 2004 at 12:45 PM Post #84 of 103
Too bad it's a US-only offer
frown.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #85 of 103
The current BMG deal is buy one get three free. This is includes their sacd hybrids. They've recently added some Miles, Wes Montgomery, Coltrain and the In Session - SRV/Albert King title.

To see what they have, search on Title with SACD as the keyword.

Jul 9, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #86 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by earful
For those who love classical piano: "The Wlliam Kapell Edition," a 9-cd set which usually retails for over $125 is on clearance at the BMG site for about $35. I can't vouch for the quality of the recordings, however, Kapell's death at a fairly young age was considered to be a loss for American musicianship. I have one vinyl recording of him playing a Brahms sonata - worth the detour IMO and the compelling reason that I ordered this set.

Well, how is the quality or the recordings? Is there hiss? William Kapell is the conmposer??

I am asking because I love classical piano.

Jul 10, 2004 at 11:40 AM Post #87 of 103
Is there a way to search BMG for SACDs only?

Aug 19, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #88 of 103
Damn! I can't believe they finally cancelled that 15 for 1 promotion... and I'm four months late, hah.

Anyway, I've done the BMG thing at least five times thanks to this thread. I just came here to get the promotional link for my next sign-up. Oh well!

-Ash

Aug 19, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #89 of 103
uh, you know what i was thinking? dont they always have some sort of referral promotion?

i'm thinking about signing up. i just haven't because i haven't decided which 7 cds i want to get. but when i've made up my mind, i wouldn't mind saying one of the members here referred me. that way he can get some free cds. maybe other new people who are interested can start doing this. or maybe make a list of who gets the next referral if someone wants to sign up. thsi way, more free cds for us.

just a thought.

Aug 19, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #90 of 103
What about Columbia House? I just signed up with them and the deal was start with 12 free (plus the ridiculous $2.97/CD shipping) then buy 5 at regular price within 2 years. Right now they are doing a "buy 2 get 5 free" deal. Opinions on which club is better? I'm thinking about doing the BMG deal also. Is there a BMG member out there interested in Columbia House who would like to trade referrals?

[EDIT] My CDs arrived yesterday and they all have bar codes and do not say "Manufactured for Columbia House Music Club" or anything like that.

I'm still potentially interested in joining BMG, so if anyone wants a referral, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back