The BMG Thread
Dec 10, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #61 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by Earwax

The bad news is only I only got 6 titles that I ordered, one is the wrong title. I filled out the form on the BMG site and sent it to customer service. Not sure what happens now....

I got the replacement CD last week, no muss, no fuss, they even said I can keep the "mistake" CD. That's very nice of them, but what the heck am I supposed to do with "50 years of Bluegrass hits" ?
blink.gif

Dec 10, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #62 of 103
BMG offered me a phone deal where I bought three selections at full price and they sent me 9 more free.

So I took them up on it, and two of the three selections ended up being tolerable: The Pianist soundtrack (very, very good actually), and Classic Yo Yo (don't care for Yo Yo but this is a good curation of his best stuff). The third was intolerable: Charlotte Church (ick! way too immature of a voice!), so I gave it to my grandparents.

Worst part of this deal: had to order the free selections by mail. Who uses snail mail to order things anymore
confused.gif

--Chris

Dec 14, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #63 of 103
hmm, out of curiousity...

For the cds that say, "members only" can one of those count as the single cd purchase? also, once you're a member (and have received the first 7 cds) do you get access to the full catalogue for the remaining 7 "free" cds? I'm looking to getting the first 6 Zeppelin albums (led 1-4, houses of the holy, physical grafitti) but they're members only...

Dec 16, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #64 of 103
Some of the Dylan hybrid SACDs, along with Heart's "Alive In Seattle" hybrid SACDs, are available at BMG Music Service. Currently, BMG is running a sale on these titles for members....I picked up the Heart SACD for $9.98. The Dylan hybrid SACDs for $4.99/each!!! And if you order over $30.00, no shipping charge.

Dec 18, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #65 of 103
Just got my first shipment from BMG, and I'm pleased with just about all the recordings. I think there may be some truth to the claim that BMG's pressings are inferior. The Missa Solemnis CD with Klemperer skipped on its first playback on a nearly new CD player -- not good.

Dec 18, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #66 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by Earwax
I got the replacement CD last week, no muss, no fuss, they even said I can keep the "mistake" CD. That's very nice of them, but what the heck am I supposed to do with "50 years of Bluegrass hits" ?
blink.gif

Heck man, listen to it. Even if you don't like bluegrass you'll get an overall feel for the genre if it really covers a period of 50 years... can't hurt.

Dec 18, 2003 at 4:59 PM Post #67 of 103
I have been with BMG Music Club since the mid 80s, when they were known as the RCA Music Club. On the whole, their CDs are the same as the store-purchased versions, except for the lack of bar code and that imprint "Manufactured for BMG Music Club". Otherwise, the prices generally comes to about $8.00 per CD including shipping and taxes. Not bad at all.

And hempcamp, sign up for e-mail only at BMG's website.

Dec 19, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #68 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
And hempcamp, sign up for e-mail only at BMG's website.

I did
smily_headphones1.gif
but they called anyway to tell me of this special offer... oh well, still waiting on the snail mail request.

--Chris

Dec 19, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #69 of 103
lol, of course to audiophiles BMG cds sound inferior! In a world of $20 per foot cables, the cds are too cheap!

*end sarcasm*

So, for the final 7 "free" cds, does one get access to the entire BMG catalogue?

Dec 19, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #70 of 103
karmypolitics, you illiterate person!

All kidding aside, I don't have issues with audio quality, but I've read that their pressings are inferior and more prone to failure. I have never had a CD that skipped on me on the first playback before, so I'm thinking that there might be some truth to what I've read.

Dec 19, 2003 at 6:23 AM Post #73 of 103
Sorry, misread your question...

A long time ago, I remember talking a BMG rep into letting me choose a box set as multiple 'free' selections. I'm not sure if you can do that now, but it might be worth a try. You can find their phone number on the website.

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #74 of 103
As a bump to the thread, just pointing out that the $1.99 deal is on right now (buy 1 at regualar price get unlimited $1.99 CDs) is on right now. If you have a bunch of CDs to buy, now is the time.

I'd like to add Paul Simon's self-titled first album as well as Graceland to the list.

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #75 of 103
After a long absence, I am back and the list is updated with your suggestions. Let me know if you spot any inconsistencies or if you have anything new to add. Please give any suggestions you might have to make the list better or more useful as well.

If you are going to submit a selection, please also give the selection number and put it in the format that I have used. It would help me greatly as I can then just cut and paste it into the master list.

Now that I'm in Japan, It's difficult for me to take advantage of this offer. But I'll be happy to continue curating it for when I return (and I promise I'll be better about updates).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back