The Black Cube Linear - wow!!!
Jul 16, 2007 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
I wasn't sure what to expect going into this amp, I largely got it on a whim that told me I had to experience all the AC-powered home-based solid-states out there!
tongue.gif
(Curse this addiction to solid-states!)

Frankly, I'm blown away. Well ok first things first. It doesn't dethrone the GS-X as my favorite amp, the GS-X is just way up there for me, and there are so many sonic qualities about it that I love.

But that doesn't really matter, this amp is mind-blowing on its own! I think I might dissent that it's transparent, because it doesn't really sound like it is. I definitely feel like I'm listening to an amp. Music just sounds so much more...alive with this amp. There's such a huge tonal richness on it - as if it's giving you eye-popping color. Extremely vivid, and instruments like drums sound that much more tactile with so much more texture. Completely effortless sounding too, and it's clear that it's powerful enough to drive demanding headphones. A very good partner for the K701, really brings it to life. I also have to add that as soon as a track starts, the sound just hooks you right away, it's immediately engaging!

Everyone should hear the Black Cube Linear!!! I'm also now convinced that I need to hear even more solid-states like the RSA HR-2, PS Audio GCHA, and the new Graham Slee Solo 2007!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 21
pics of the innards? =) was always curious about BCL, but never considered it because of the price tag

then I got a gcha...

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 21
Congrats on the BLC you are sure to enjoy it and let us know what you find with other SS amps.

Check out the AT-HA5000 in my gallery to see its internals....All MOSFET Class A pulling 30 watts of power out of the wall all the time. Beautiful wood face with a great sound. SS can be great, yes.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 21
wow, you got a BCL? nice! congrats!

I've always wanted to hear one of those, hopefully i'll be able to make it to the next meet.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 21
I'm very impressed with the quality of the audio-technica amp! are those pins sticking out for measuring biases?

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always wanted to hear one of those, hopefully i'll be able to make it to the next meet.

I'm not 100% certain I'll still have the BCL for the August meet, time will just have to tell. I rotate through amps way too much.
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting your impressions ASR.
How did you find the BCL fared with the ATH AD-2000?

I don't have an AD2000 with me at the moment, sorry.

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 21
I sold the CanAmp to help fund the BCL.
tongue.gif
Initial impressions are that it definitely sounds different. Narrower, more focused but it still retains a very 3D soundstage. The CanAmp was definitely wider. And the CanAmp wasn't this energetic, it's like a party's going on!

Wouldn't say I'm deviating from the wire-with-gain camp, just exploring the world of solid-states.
wink.gif
Because there are so many out there and I've gotta hear them all now!

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #12 of 21
I dunno, Asr, I still liked your GS-X better when I tried both on Saturday :p

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..., just exploring the world of solid-states.
wink.gif
Because there are so many out there and I've gotta hear them all now!

Did you experience Rudistor`s RPX-33 Dualmono yet?

evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

A very good partner for the K701, really brings it to life.

Ya got me very excited for this amp
rs1smile.gif
, couple questions if you would be so kind :

How well does it synergize with a HD650?
Does it sound just as good at medium to lower volume?

...I wonder if this amp would do anything special for the D2000...hrmm

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

..... I'm also now convinced that I need to hear even more solid-states like the RSA HR-2, PS Audio GCHA, and the new Graham Slee Solo 2007!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds like you're having some fun.

Besides the RSA HR-2, you should hear the RSA Apache! That's an eye opener. I was never really that enthused about the Sony R-10 phones until I heard Ray's pair through the Apache (in the quiet environs of their hotel room, not during the noisy meet). Same goes for the Grado PS-1, with both the Apache and the B-52. Of course Ray's custom mil cables on the phones helped a bit, too.

The Apache handled the K1000 pretty well, too, though it wasn't the K1000 revelation that the uber-pricey Zanden amp was. For all the other phones that I heard, though, Apache had a lot to offer.

Anyway, though it is a bit pricey at $3k (modest compared to Zanden's retail of $15k, I think) -- Apache is a solid state amp that's a must to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back