The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Jul 21, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #931 of 1,323
Ok so after spending time outside all night last night recording the lake sounds where I work, i can`t comprehend how the designers failed to take into account the obscene micro phonics of the cable. Other than that everything is just fantastic. Unfortunetly recording birds at dawn in an uber quiet environment was quite difficult at times.Seeing the impeccable design in all other areas(and the fact that this headphone has been around a while and re-issued, improved upon etc) this oversight is baffling.

I agree - the cable microphonics are the worst aspect about these HPs.

I'm generally out and about wearing a shoulder bag, and I find that if I feed the cable underneath the shoulder bag strap and then pull the cable up so that there's some slack on the headphone end then that seems to cure the microphonic problems for me.

That said I tend to listen to music as opposed to recording ambient sounds, which probably means that I'm listening to a generally higher volume level and that will also do something to mask the microphonics.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #932 of 1,323
I agree - the cable microphonics are the worst aspect about these HPs.

I'm generally out and about wearing a shoulder bag, and I find that if I feed the cable underneath the shoulder bag strap and then pull the cable up so that there's some slack on the headphone end then that seems to cure the microphonic problems for me.

That said I tend to listen to music as opposed to recording ambient sounds, which probably means that I'm listening to a generally higher volume level and that will also do something to mask the microphonics.

Continued rant
angry_face.gif
:

The persistant obstinance of Beyer`s refusal to put easily replaceable cables on most of their best headphones confuses me to no end.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #933 of 1,323

Continued rant
angry_face.gif
:

The persistant obstinance of Beyer`s refusal to put easily replaceable cables on most of their best headphones confuses me to no end.

I threw money at the problem.  Its reduced but not all the way gone.  A fabric cover on the cable would have done the trick...

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #935 of 1,323
This headphone is the first I`ve encountered that may compel me to replace a cable before it was broken.

I also couldn't stand the cable noise and wanted to use a cable with remote, so I popped in a 3.5mm jack and put some paracord sheath over the stock cable. My post on the mod is somewhere in this thread but hard to find using my phone right now.

Cable noise is much improved with the soft cloth covering. I can now swap in any V-MODA Crossfade or Beats Solo compatible cable.

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #936 of 1,323
I also couldn't stand the cable noise and wanted to use a cable with remote, so I popped in a 3.5mm jack and put some paracord sheath over the stock cable. My post on the mod is somewhere in this thread but hard to find using my phone right now.

Cable noise is much improved with the soft cloth covering. I can now swap in any V-MODA Crossfade or Beats Solo compatible cable.

This looks like an interesting solution.

In addition to the cable noise, I`ve been tramping about in the night recording forest and lake sounds.
At one point, as it`s dark, the cable got hung up on a tree branch and gave me a bit of worry when it was pulled upon.

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #937 of 1,323

perhapss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

gixxerwimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This looks like an interesting solution.

In addition to the cable noise, I`ve been tramping about in the night recording forest and lake sounds.
At one point, as it`s dark, the cable got hung up on a tree branch and gave me a bit of worry when it was pulled upon.

Here's my post in this thread with a link to my mod tutorial.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/564273/the-beyerdynamic-tesla-dt-1350-fan-club/870#post_11450289
The cable in that photo is a a 1-button Android remote cable for a Sennheiser HD598 from here: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4764. I swapped the Senn 2.5mm male connector with locking groove for a 3.5mm jack.

One side effect of the 3.5mm jack into the cup, for better or worse, is that it pulls out pretty easily if you catch the cable on something. This may be a good "safety" feature for you when tromping around in the wilderness in the dark.

Obviously, one could use a 2.5mm socket and then have access to other cables (I think). A bit more work and you could put a 2.5mm socket in each side, then wire it up balanced for HiFiMAN/OPPO/Sennheiser compatlible cables with connectors like these: http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=167

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #938 of 1,323

Here's my post in this thread with a link to my mod tutorial.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/564273/the-beyerdynamic-tesla-dt-1350-fan-club/870#post_11450289
The cable in that photo is a a 1-button Android remote cable for a Sennheiser HD598 from here: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4764. I swapped the Senn 2.5mm male connector with locking groove for a 3.5mm jack.

One side effect of the 3.5mm jack into the cup, for better or worse, is that it pulls out pretty easily if you catch the cable on something. This may be a good "safety" feature for you when tromping around in the wilderness in the dark.

Obviously, one could use a 2.5mm socket and then have access to other cables (I think). A bit more work and you could put a 2.5mm socket in each side, then wire it up balanced for HiFiMAN/OPPO/Sennheiser compatlible cables with connectors like these: http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=167

Thanks for the info!

A bit ambitious for me at the moment as I don`t trust my own skills in this respect.I need the headphones for the summer which makes sending it off to someone else right now is impractical.

I`ll take a close look though and assess from there.

Thanks again 
smile.gif

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #939 of 1,323
Does anyone here know where i can get the EDT 1350 SL Ear Pads in Australia or somewhere that ships to Australia? Ive been searching for ages and i just cant find them stocked anywhere and if they are stocked they don't ship to Australia.

Also, are the "EDT 1350 SL" the best ear pads to get to lessen the clamping force with the DT1350's?

Cheers.

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #941 of 1,323
  (1) Does anyone here know where i can get the EDT 1350 SL Ear Pads in Australia or somewhere that ships to Australia? Ive been searching for ages and i just cant find them stocked anywhere and if they are stocked they don't ship to Australia.

(2) Also, are the "EDT 1350 SL" the best ear pads to get to lessen the clamping force with the DT1350's?

Cheers.

(1) Buy them from Beyerdynamic direct or from the regional distributor. For some weirdest reasons, they don't make their dealers stock parts. 

(2) Lessen the clamping is best done so by "brute force", so to speak. Physically bending the headband gently but with force. Or use a basketball and let the basketball "wear" the headphones for a week. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #942 of 1,323

I`m hoping someone on this thread could answer my questions:

My dt1350 is about 3 weeks old and I`m wondering about the swivel bits on the headband.
The left side has never swiveled and the right side swivels but is very loose, clunky and sometimes sticks.

How loose should they be?
Should I be worried about the right side breaking off?
Is the left side just stuck? I`d rather not force it and break it off but isn`t is designed to swivel?

Any clarity on this issue would be greatly appreciated.....

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #943 of 1,323

I`m hoping someone on this thread could answer my questions:

My dt1350 is about 3 weeks old and I`m wondering about the swivel bits on the headband.
The left side has never swiveled and the right side swivels but is very loose, clunky and sometimes sticks.

How loose should they be?
Should I be worried about the right side breaking off?
Is the left side just stuck? I`d rather not force it and break it off but isn`t is designed to swivel?

Any clarity on this issue would be greatly appreciated.....

If you mean the swivel bits right above the earcups then yeh on one pair of dt1350s i had the difference was noticeable. I just kept on turning the stiffer side until it loosened up. Being made of metal I doubt the loose side is going to snap unless its defective. If you mean the hinge further up the headband that let you swivel the entire headphone arm then yes they can be quite tight out of the box and can be a bit tricky to move initially. Unless you really need to be able to swivel it i wouldnt even worry about it.

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #944 of 1,323

If you mean the swivel bits right above the earcups then yeh on one pair of dt1350s i had the difference was noticeable. I just kept on turning the stiffer side until it loosened up. Being made of metal I doubt the loose side is going to snap unless its defective. If you mean the hinge further up the headband that let you swivel the entire headphone arm then yes they can be quite tight out of the box and can be a bit tricky to move initially. Unless you really need to be able to swivel it i wouldnt even worry about it.

I`m not worried about swiveling the left side.

The problem is the right side seems to be gradually coming apart.
So much so that I can see through the mechanism from the side.

You state that it`s "made of metal"; actually a good bit of the connecting bits are plastic.Hence vulnerable to breakage IMO...

If anyone has pictures of this thing in pieces I`d be curious to see them so I could form a better view of my situation.

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #945 of 1,323

I`m not worried about swiveling the left side.

The problem is the right side seems to be gradually coming apart.
So much so that I can see through the mechanism from the side.

You state that it`s "made of metal"; actually a good bit of the connecting bits are plastic.Hence vulnerable to breakage IMO...

If anyone has pictures of this thing in pieces I`d be curious to see them so I could form a better view of my situation.

Yeh i was referring to the earcup swiveling mechanism, you're right the hinge one further up is made of plastic. Just compare it to the other side and if it looks defective i'd return them if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back