The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Jul 14, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #901 of 1,323
Once the bands are loosened (you can do this by hand, gently) they are extremely comfortable. Not when new. The PVC leather on the Sony were giving some folks rashes. That was really bad.

In terms of sound, that is where things get interesting in discussion. I would consider the DT1350 a "modern sounding" headphones. The Sony were so "outdated" but many studio guys still love them to bits, so it is up to you to make that decision as you audition them. Sound is so subjective and personal. I don't think the DT1350 is accurate, but neutral. I like how they work for me in my studio. I wouldn't mix with them though they make great reference cans against your studio monitor loudspeakers. The low mids are a little scooped so they clean up the muddiness. I think that really works well for tracking. At least in my workflow.

Nothing beats going to a retailer that you are familiar with and ask them to allow you to audition a set in your own studio. "Rent" their demo for an evening and that would probably be the best way to judge if they are the ones that would work for you.

I am also looking for more new cans to add to the studio and believe it or not, I am going to audition the Oppo PM-3s against the DT1350 to hear the difference. Just curious on how the PM-3s sound. Might end up sticking with the DT1350s instead. The new "CC" models seems to have some improvements for comfort as they are using the larger ear pads. I only hope the sonic signature does not change.

Nevertheless the DT1350s are really enjoyable and provide an alternative voicing for the studio to check the mixes. You should like them. They reference closely to the more modern sound equipment out there.

Thanks for answering my questions. I think I'm going to definitely get the DT1350 CC's if it sounds the same as the regular 1350's. I really appreciate your advice since I was initially unsure about some possible issues with the 1350's. Thanks again! :)

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #902 of 1,323
Thanks for answering my questions. I think I'm going to definitely get the DT1350 CC's if it sounds the same as the regular 1350's. I really appreciate your advice since I was initially unsure about some possible issues with the 1350's. Thanks again!
smily_headphones1.gif

You are most welcome.

Audition them or borrow them to test out in your home studio. You should then be able to make a decision.

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #903 of 1,323
Personal reminder: don't read kleedurd's 1350 impressions - they make me lust for them all over again lol!

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #904 of 1,323
Jul 14, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #905 of 1,323
Thanks for answering my questions. I think I'm going to definitely get the DT1350 CC's if it sounds the same as the regular 1350's. I really appreciate your advice since I was initially unsure about some possible issues with the 1350's. Thanks again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeh theres no audible difference between them, just the different cable option, the coiled version does feel a little heavier on the head.

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #906 of 1,323
For all you more recent owners, I have a question. I was searching through this thread and online to make sure the only difference between the DT 1350's and the DT 1350 CC's was the headband, earpads and cable (essentially, no difference in sound). However, I came across search results and such for a "facelift" version of these? I'm unsure if this was simply a revision done by beyerdynamic or it's just another term for the CC version. These "facelifted" DT 1350's have cushier headbands and larger and more comfortable earpads than the original, just like the CC's. So if this was simply a revision and the only actual difference between the 1350's and the 1350 CC's is the cable, then I plan to get the regular 1350's. I've tried looking around for an answer but I didn't find anything, so some clarification would be nice.

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #907 of 1,323
In terms of sound, that is where things get interesting in discussion. I would consider the DT1350 a "modern sounding" headphones. The Sony were so "outdated" but many studio guys still love them to bits, so it is up to you to make that decision as you audition them. Sound is so subjective and personal. I don't think the DT1350 is accurate, but neutral. I like how they work for me in my studio. I wouldn't mix with them though they make great reference cans against your studio monitor loudspeakers. The low mids are a little scooped so they clean up the muddiness. I think that really works well for tracking. At least in my workflow.

I tend to think the other way round in that they are accurate, but not entirely neutral. I find the bass is a touch exaggerated for studio use. IMO they perform at their best as an outside monitoring solution where the slightly exaggerated bass makes up for the typical lack of isolation at low frequencies - making them sound pretty damned neutral in that environment. That's not to say the bass is bad on these, in fact I would consider the quality of bass from these is exceptional and easily the best I've heard from an on ear design.

If tracking for long periods then I'd go for the Beyer DT770. They're not neutral, but I tend to place comfort above absolute sound quality in that scenario, and the over ear design manages to remain more comfortable for me over time than on ear designs. For mixing, well I know that the general opinion is that you shouldn't mix on headphones, but given that these days the vast majority of music consumption takes place with headphones I don't think it's the taboo it once was. So for mixing, and possibly mastering, I'd say that the Beyer DT880 Pro offers the best bang for the buck, with the AKG K/Q 700 range coming in a close second. The DT880 sounds fuller, but with peaky treble. Of the AKG K/Q 700 models that I've heard they sound thinner, but with more rounded treble. You'd need to hear both to decide which one would be right.

Of course there are no hard and fast rules. If the DT1350 works for you in the studio then great. Let's face it there are very few small on ear headphones that even begin come close to what the DT1350 is capable of.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #908 of 1,323
I tend to think the other way round in that they are accurate, but not entirely neutral. I find the bass is a touch exaggerated for studio use. IMO they perform at their best as an outside monitoring solution where the slightly exaggerated bass makes up for the typical lack of isolation at low frequencies - making them sound pretty damned neutral in that environment. That's not to say the bass is bad on these, in fact I would consider the quality of bass from these is exceptional and easily the best I've heard from an on ear design.

If tracking for long periods then I'd go for the Beyer DT770. They're not neutral, but I tend to place comfort above absolute sound quality in that scenario, and the over ear design manages to remain more comfortable for me over time than on ear designs. For mixing, well I know that the general opinion is that you shouldn't mix on headphones, but given that these days the vast majority of music consumption takes place with headphones I don't think it's the taboo it once was. So for mixing, and possibly mastering, I'd say that the Beyer DT880 Pro offers the best bang for the buck, with the AKG K/Q 700 range coming in a close second. The DT880 sounds fuller, but with peaky treble. Of the AKG K/Q 700 models that I've heard they sound thinner, but with more rounded treble. You'd need to hear both to decide which one would be right.

Of course there are no hard and fast rules. If the DT1350 works for you in the studio then great. Let's face it there are very few small on ear headphones that even begin come close to what the DT1350 is capable of.

I think the correct word in place of "neutral" would be "clinical", that is probably due to the missing lower mid frequencies that tend to mud things up. There was a frequency response chart somewhere in this forums showing what Beyer did to "clean up" the voicing of these headphones.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will go have a listen to the DT880 when I find the chance. I might have auditioned them before, because I remember going through a whole bunch of Beyer headphones before deciding on the DT1350. But like I have mentioned, sound is very subjective, and so far it has worked well for those whom I have worked with, so I am not complaining. I don't get much leaks and that is a good thing.

I never had good results working with headphones while mixing, and have invested quite a bit with monitor loudspeakers, and I think for me it will be like that for a while, though I do check the mixes on headphones whenever I can, just to get a "second opinion". Otherwise, I never work on mixing and mastering with headphones. They don't work for me at all.

Again, I am old school having been in the studio for more than two decades doing the same thing for so long it is already habitual. I once met a Taiwanese music producer that surprised me with what he can do with a pair of Sony headphones, and even double checking the mixes on the monitor loudspeakers, I have to say he has totally "climatised" himself to work only on headphones and still produces very professional sounding results. That was very impressive.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #909 of 1,323
  For all you more recent owners, I have a question. I was searching through this thread and online to make sure the only difference between the DT 1350's and the DT 1350 CC's was the headband, earpads and cable (essentially, no difference in sound). However, I came across search results and such for a "facelift" version of these? I'm unsure if this was simply a revision done by beyerdynamic or it's just another term for the CC version. These "facelifted" DT 1350's have cushier headbands and larger and more comfortable earpads than the original, just like the CC's. So if this was simply a revision and the only actual difference between the 1350's and the 1350 CC's is the cable, then I plan to get the regular 1350's. I've tried looking around for an answer but I didn't find anything, so some clarification would be nice.

Nevermind. Now currently debating whether or not the extra $100 for the CC version is worth it.

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #910 of 1,323

Yep they revised a few of the aesthetic details like the headband and earcups and they also modified the earpads for better comfort and seal. You can tell by looking at the headband and earcups if its a revised version, the original model has a grey beyerdynamic logo on the cups and the headband padding does not fully cover the headband. The revised version has the padding fully covering the headband and the beyerdynamic logo is black, the earpads also stick out a bit more from the cups.

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #911 of 1,323

I jsut wanted to add one detail to @chailee80 s answer: the older version was available just with a straight cable, the facelift is available with straight or coiled (DT1350 CC), apart from that they are both identical, i.e. wider outer diameter pads, better headband cushioning and different cup/logo design. There were no changes to the driver in the facelift revision, only difference in sound might come from the bigger pads sealing a bit better (after some usage).

Stretching out the headband like @kleefurd mentioned is a good idea for sure if you want to wear them for longer periods.

I don't know any other on-ear that small that even comes close in sound quality (the T51p is a bit too warm to my taste).

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #912 of 1,323
When the updated DT1350 was announced, the coiled cable was the only way to get the beefier padding, at first.  Then the standard trickled down later.  I think people associated the CC variety as updated simply because at first that was the only way to get it...

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #913 of 1,323

Yep they revised a few of the aesthetic details like the headband and earcups and they also modified the earpads for better comfort and seal. You can tell by looking at the headband and earcups if its a revised version, the original model has a grey beyerdynamic logo on the cups and the headband padding does not fully cover the headband. The revised version has the padding fully covering the headband and the beyerdynamic logo is black, the earpads also stick out a bit more from the cups.

I jsut wanted to add one detail to @chailee80 s answer: the older version was available just with a straight cable, the facelift is available with straight or coiled (DT1350 CC), apart from that they are both identical, i.e. wider outer diameter pads, better headband cushioning and different cup/logo design. There were no changes to the driver in the facelift revision, only difference in sound might come from the bigger pads sealing a bit better (after some usage).

Stretching out the headband like @kleefurd mentioned is a good idea for sure if you want to wear them for longer periods.

I don't know any other on-ear that small that even comes close in sound quality (the T51p is a bit too warm to my taste).

Ah, thank you very much. I assumed that based on online searches the facelift/CC version were the same thing.
  When the updated DT1350 was announced, the coiled cable was the only way to get the beefier padding, at first.  Then the standard trickled down later.  I think people associated the CC variety as updated simply because at first that was the only way to get it...

That explains a lot.

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #914 of 1,323
Hmm, I contacted beyerdynamic customer support, and they said the opposite. They said the CC's had a coiled cable and larger earpads and a better headband than the regular DT 1350's. In that case, I'll just get the CC's.

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #915 of 1,323
  Hmm, I contacted beyerdynamic customer support, and they said the opposite. They said the CC's had a coiled cable and larger earpads and a better headband than the regular DT 1350's. In that case, I'll just get the CC's.

They told you nonsense. Both current product versions, regular and CC, are exactly the same besides one having a coiled cable. I've seen the facelift model with straight cable, it most definitely has the changed headband and the wider pads. If you take a look at Beyers website both models are listed as facelift:
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/djs/dt-1350.html

For mobile use I'd prefer the straight cable as its lighter and easier to handle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back