The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Jun 10, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #886 of 1,323

Thank you for the reply.

I will not have the option to try-before-I-buy due to where I live (Western Australia).

Like I said, I am not an audiophile, so if there would be something more suitable, I am open to suggestions. I am also starting to consider the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x as they get a lot of positive reviews, however, I feel they may be a little large for me to wear on the train.

I've heard good things about the M50x a well, so definitely worth consideration. And as chailee80 mentioned, the m500's are really nice (except that they don't stay on the head very well).

If you are looking for portable headphones, this thread might be helpful:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-25-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #888 of 1,323
dt 1350 are not a good choice, if you're sensitive to microphonics. m50 suck in the isolation department, which IMO is paramount to enjoying music on public transport. IEM's are usually so much better in this regard.

agree on this, if isolation is the main consideration, iem is the way to go...best is CIEM.. :)

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #889 of 1,323
Thanks for the replies. I found out that Jaben in Perth have the T51 for demo, and available in stock, so I am going to make a trip to Perth this week and test them out. :)

The KEF M500 also look good, so that is another pair to consider.

I can keep my Apple earbuds for the train if needed, but really need something for home now. Having said that, since I am making the trek to Perth I may test a few IEM out while at Jaben and grab a pair while I am there.

I have set myself a budget of $750 Australian dollars for both.

Many thanks once again. :)

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #890 of 1,323
I wish I could join the massdrop deal on the revised DT1350, I'll just have to wait until the next time.

Anyone here tried the DT1350 CC yet?  I'm curious as to how the sound may have changed with the earpad revision.

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #893 of 1,323
  The deal for the Beyerdynamic DT 1350 CC on Maassdrop will be ending soon, is it worth the purchase for the current price?

To me the DT1350 is still worth its MSRP, so getting it any cheaper is even better.

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #895 of 1,323
How are these for studio use, particularly tracking and recording? I'm a bedroom artist looking for a pair of neutral tracking headphones in the $200-300 range and I recently bought a pair of HD 600's and a Schiit Magni 2 Uber to drive them for mixing and mastering. I'd prefer the headphones to be over-ear, closed-back and with a fairly neutral frequency response. However, I've seen the staggeringly positive impressions and reviews for these phones, and their analytical response seem perfect for recording (amazing isolation) AND monitoring, however, I don't know if these are only highly recommended as an on-ear, or they can sound just as good as other over-ear closed headphones for recording. Any impressions and comparisons would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jul 14, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #896 of 1,323
  How are these for studio use, particularly tracking and recording? I'm a bedroom artist looking for a pair of neutral tracking headphones in the $200-300 range and I recently bought a pair of HD 600's and a Schiit Magni 2 Uber to drive them for mixing and mastering. I'd prefer the headphones to be over-ear, closed-back and with a fairly neutral frequency response. However, I've seen the staggeringly positive impressions and reviews for these phones, and their analytical response seem perfect for recording (amazing isolation) AND monitoring, however, I don't know if these are only highly recommended as an on-ear, or they can sound just as good as other over-ear closed headphones for recording. Any impressions and comparisons would be appreciated. Thanks!

I used these in the studio to replace the Sennheiser HD25s. The brighter high end gives the singer and guitarist more clarity when they are singing/playing. Those who have tracked with the DT1350 loves them so far. Especially the vocalists.

Jul 14, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #897 of 1,323
I used these in the studio to replace the Sennheiser HD25s. The brighter high end gives the singer and guitarist more clarity when they are singing/playing. Those who have tracked with the DT1350 loves them so far. Especially the vocalists.

That's great to hear! In the studio, is it preferable to use over ear or on ear headphones while recording? I know over ear headphones generally sound better but I know the Sony 7506's (I consider them on ear since many people say they don't completely cover their ears) are used frequently.

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #898 of 1,323
That's great to hear! In the studio, is it preferable to use over ear or on ear headphones while recording? I know over ear headphones generally sound better but I know the Sony 7506's (I consider them on ear since many people say they don't completely cover their ears) are used frequently.

The Sony are pretty much "industry standard", but I really like the extra brightness for the vocalists' use especially with the female vocals. They tend to cut better into the headphones mix. The smaller can footprint on the DT1350 makes it easier to wear over long sessions as compared to the Sony though, as according to those who have to track for hours on end. Something to also consider. The more comfortable the artistes, the better they perform. I have long abandoned the Sony. The last set of headphones for the studio was the ATH-M50s instead of the Sony.

One thing about the DT1350, when they are not worn properly, might leak. The last thing you want is to have a good track recorded and you can hear the metronome in the recording!! It happened to a few guitarists while they were tracking.

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #899 of 1,323
The Sony are pretty much "industry standard", but I really like the extra brightness for the vocalists' use especially with the female vocals. They tend to cut better into the headphones mix. The smaller can footprint on the DT1350 makes it easier to wear over long sessions as compared to the Sony though, as according to those who have to track for hours on end. Something to also consider. The more comfortable the artistes, the better they perform. I have long abandoned the Sony. The last set of headphones for the studio was the ATH-M50s instead of the Sony.

One thing about the DT1350, when they are not worn properly, might leak. The last thing you want is to have a good track recorded and you can hear the metronome in the recording!! It happened to a few guitarists while they were tracking.

Really? I heard the DT1350's were kinda uncomfortable. In any case, do you consider these the best neutral studio headphones for $200-400 in terms of sound? Or do you prefer another over ear or on ear option?

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #900 of 1,323
Really? I heard the DT1350's were kinda uncomfortable. In any case, do you consider these the best neutral studio headphones for $200-400 in terms of sound? Or do you prefer another over ear or on ear option?

Once the bands are loosened (you can do this by hand, gently) they are extremely comfortable. Not when new. The PVC leather on the Sony were giving some folks rashes. That was really bad.

In terms of sound, that is where things get interesting in discussion. I would consider the DT1350 a "modern sounding" headphones. The Sony were so "outdated" but many studio guys still love them to bits, so it is up to you to make that decision as you audition them. Sound is so subjective and personal. I don't think the DT1350 is accurate, but neutral. I like how they work for me in my studio. I wouldn't mix with them though they make great reference cans against your studio monitor loudspeakers. The low mids are a little scooped so they clean up the muddiness. I think that really works well for tracking. At least in my workflow.

Nothing beats going to a retailer that you are familiar with and ask them to allow you to audition a set in your own studio. "Rent" their demo for an evening and that would probably be the best way to judge if they are the ones that would work for you.

I am also looking for more new cans to add to the studio and believe it or not, I am going to audition the Oppo PM-3s against the DT1350 to hear the difference. Just curious on how the PM-3s sound. Might end up sticking with the DT1350s instead. The new "CC" models seems to have some improvements for comfort as they are using the larger ear pads. I only hope the sonic signature does not change.

Nevertheless the DT1350s are really enjoyable and provide an alternative voicing for the studio to check the mixes. You should like them. They reference closely to the more modern sound equipment out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back