The Beyerdynamic T51p Discussion Thread
Nov 21, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #91 of 116
  Has anyone tried to re-cable these? I looked up the DT1350 recabling process and I get stuck trying to pop these open to get to the driver after I remove the sticky earpads. These are hard / impossible to open so I wonder if anyone has got there?

I'm not at all impressed with the build quality of these, the hinge was broken pretty much from the beginning then 1 month after the warranty runs out the left driver stops working... contacting the Australian distributor resulted in no reply. I'm glad we are paying extra to these guys for nothing.

A small slotted screw driver will do for opening them up, same as T50p and DT1350.  They're all using the same cups and baffle; it's the drivers, earpads, headband, and faceplates on the outside of the cups that differ.

Apr 29, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #92 of 116
Update after around 1.5 years of use. Several headphones / earphones / speakers came and left.. I am still holding onto my T51p. I use it with dragonfly DAC on my PC, and when on the move with my google pixel phone.

At the price point, and considering the size, i cannot find a better suited alternative for on the move. It is compact and not too hot (i live in HK where for 6 months, its really very hot to wear an over-ear on the move).

I think the other people were right.. it is warm (at least for an earphone). It's comfortable, well isolating, and good enough for most occasion. I carry a smaller W30 in-ear most of the time, but whenever i am bothered to take something larger, i take these with me.

Apr 29, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #93 of 116
Have the t51i. Been using these since Jan 2015. I always think about selling them but then I realize how much I use them. They're just too comfortable. I'd like a less bassy headphone but I EQ it a little and I'm good.

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #94 of 116
Haha, try DT1350.
But with T51 earpads on.

Swapping to T51 pads on DT1350 actually improves everything about the sound, though treble is hardly affected, but you lose all of the bass boost DT1350 gets from its own earpads - to the point that it sounds a little recessed in the bass! But if your music is all pretty bassy, then DT1350 will not sound so "bass-light" at all. Plus the T51 earpads are also much more comfortable than the DT1350 earpads, too.

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #95 of 116
OMG, I'm shocked at how good these t51p sound and I didn't know these even existed.
I actually purchased these my mistake think they were the dt1350.
I put them on expecting them to sound like the t50p tinny and hollow but was in for a treat.
Immediately went on the web and looked up t51p to realise these are supposed to sound different from the t50p so in a way I'm glad I get the dt1350.
The first thing that goes me what how comfortable they were then as the music played, the forward mids and bass just jumped out at me. Wow, these are sooo good.

Nov 21, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #96 of 116
I think there may variation between the drivers. I've read reviews that the mids are recessed and the treble lack sparkly with bass being muddly.
The mids/vocals on my at as forwards as my es3x and the treble are more detailed than my hd25.

Dec 1, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #99 of 116
The t51p are probably the most enjoyable on-ear headphones I've owned. As comfortable as they are, I still found my ears hurting after an hour. I can't decide whether to keep them or not.

Dec 11, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #100 of 116
Do you guys know the Beyerdynamic part number of replacement driver for T51? I'm getting these headphones (actually a T51i, but I understand the only difference is the cable) for next to nothing (less than the cost of earpads) but for repairs, one side is quieter and has weak bass. If it's not a cable problem I might need a driver, but can't find it on the Beyerdynamic website.

Dec 19, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #101 of 116
OK, I know the replacement driver part number: 912859.

I got the headphones and they work but there is a clear difference between sides. The right side is quieter and has less bass.
On pink noise I measured 2.75 dB difference, on brown noise (more bassy) there's 5.47 dB difference.
I also played normal music and the sound from both drivers is undistorted, but with the above imbalance.

I tested the cable with a DMM. Conductivity of all wires is OK, they have more or less the same resistance (slightly higher on the left side probably due to the remote, but that side is louder). So the cable looks good.
Soldering looks good too.
Phase is correct (I did a sound test, not just looked).

There is a slight difference in the driver coil resistance, but nothing that could be responsible for the imbalance I think. It's less than 1 ohm.

Did I miss anything that I should test before buying a replacement driver? I want to rule out all other reasons, because the drivers will cost me twice as much as the headphones did.

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #102 of 116
Just in case you have a similar issue: replacing the driver solved the problem. I was lucky and found a used driver for $15. Still no clue why that particular driver behaves like that. It doesn't distort, crackle or anything, it just has a bit lower sensitivity and less bass. And it is definitely a T51 driver (not from T50 or DT1350). Could be damaged, could be poor QC.

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #103 of 116
hello all!

i have been using this great t51p for almost 5 years now, and it seems that the left side is not functioning anymore

Any people here had any idea how and where to get the replacement driver

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #104 of 116
Check the cable first, it wasn't the cause in my case, but it usually is. And it's much cheaper to replace than a Beyerdynamic driver. If it turns out to be the driver after all, contact the Beyerdydamic distributor for your coutry (customer headphones not pro headphones if it's different, it was in my case) and ask for part number 912859.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #105 of 116
Check the cable first, it wasn't the cause in my case, but it usually is. And it's much cheaper to replace than a Beyerdynamic driver. If it turns out to be the driver after all, contact the Beyerdydamic distributor for your coutry (customer headphones not pro headphones if it's different, it was in my case) and ask for part number 912859.

thank you sir, will do check the cable, but i cant find any tutorial to do it by myself T__T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back