The Beyerdynamic T51p Discussion Thread
Jul 15, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #77 of 116
Just ordered a pair of these on sale in the UK for a good price. Was debating between the HD25 Alu and these. Could not try the Alu, but did try the 25SP and quite liked it. I thought it had a wider and deeper sound stage, and sounded fairly neutral. The 51P (actually the demo unit was a 51i) seemed a bit thicker, maybe a little more bass than I like, but it sounded very nice all the same. I felt it was more comfortable and had stronger isolation, so it won out. Should arrive tomorrow. I could have taken the 51i right there and then, and I would have liked the inline volume, but the P was £50 cheaper.

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #79 of 116
I had a momentum 2 wireless over ear for a few days and returned it as the worst headphone I'd ever bought over £100. I hated it. Boomy bass. Terrible.

I quite liked the sound of the Momentum 1 over ear.. The T51p is in another league as far as I'm concerned. Both in sound and significantly in terms of isolation.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #81 of 116
I was the same. I'm a rocker and the HD25 was probably a little better in that regard but the T51p was more comfortable and better isolating and has a really rich sound that I just liked. The HD25 were slightly boxy sounding despite being more recessed with a wider sound stage. Maybe the ones I tried were off. Indoors I find there's a tad too much bass in the 51, though never bloated, it just stops the guitars from really crunching. However out doors the bass seems to be more balanced, combined with the isolation, it's working well for me so far. I'm pretty happy. Still curious about the PM3 though.

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #82 of 116
I was the same. I'm a rocker and the HD25 was probably a little better in that regard but the T51p was more comfortable and better isolating and has a really rich sound that I just liked. The HD25 were slightly boxy sounding despite being more recessed with a wider sound stage. Maybe the ones I tried were off. Indoors I find there's a tad too much bass in the 51, though never bloated, it just stops the guitars from really crunching. However out doors the bass seems to be more balanced, combined with the isolation, it's working well for me so far. I'm pretty happy. Still curious about the PM3 though.

hehe excellent, i think that i'm decided so i'm going to purchase the Beyers :D

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #83 of 116
Listening to ACDC, Back in Black. These things make the drums spectacular.

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #84 of 116
Listening to ACDC, Back in Black. These things make the drums spectacular.

I just came home from some weeks of travelling and plugging in the T51 made me think that they make everything spectacular. Vocals, drums, guitars, bass. I love these little headphones. 

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #85 of 116
Has anyone tried to re-cable these? I looked up the DT1350 recabling process and I get stuck trying to pop these open to get to the driver after I remove the sticky earpads. These are hard / impossible to open so I wonder if anyone has got there?

I'm not at all impressed with the build quality of these, the hinge was broken pretty much from the beginning then 1 month after the warranty runs out the left driver stops working... contacting the Australian distributor resulted in no reply. I'm glad we are paying extra to these guys for nothing.

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #86 of 116
Hi guys,
I've been using these cans for nearly a year now and I love them.  I use them mostly on the go with my iPod or Samsung S6 paired with a FiiO E11K headphone amp.

I'm thinking about setting up an at home listening station based around my existing PC with an external DAC / headphone amp (I have been considering the FiiO E10K).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a full sized equivalent headphone to these, which will match the sound characteristics and provide added comfort.  I'm assuming here that full sized headphones will be more comfortable than on ear?  However, I have no issue with the comfort of the T51p.

Or would you recommend I stick with this one pair of cans, and put the extra money into a better DAC / amp?  
I have also been looking at the Audioengine D1.

Thanks,
Nik.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #88 of 116
I just bought these.

Yesterday, 

I accidentally applied firm pressure with both my thumbs on the inner lining of each ear pad, just over the drivers.

I felt them give a little, and I'm worried i may have damaged something.

Is this possible ?

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #89 of 116
  I just bought these.

Yesterday, 

I accidentally applied firm pressure with both my thumbs on the inner lining of each ear pad, just over the drivers.

I felt them give a little, and I'm worried i may have damaged something.

Is this possible ?

Not really. The drivers in the T51p are protected behind hard plastic. Do they sound different? If not - then no harm done.

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #90 of 116
No worries. Checked the drivers, and all is fine.

I did notice that after about 100 hours burn in at moderate to high volume, the low end really extended. 

What used to be really tight and well defined bass is now much more relaxed and in some instances quite boomy.

Anyone else experienced this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back