The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Feb 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #3,452 of 4,303
Hmmm, still awaiting the arrival of my Earpads, wonder how long does Priority mail take. Had the chance to try out the Lehmann BCL (USB) didn't work well though, too warm, better with the Arietta, my HD650 Equinoxed did sound extremely good on the BCL, like a different beast with luscious mids, like an upgrade from back row seats to front row, not laid back anymore.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #3,455 of 4,303

Quote:
The DT48 are in a different class altogether. Once you know why, you know.

Never heard the 650, but I can understand why you might say that. For listening to good vocalists I still choose them over the hd580, which I also love, but for different reasons. I picked up some old Sarah Vaughan recordings and the dt48 with that voice is totally mind boggling....even out of my Clip.

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #3,456 of 4,303
Hi Guys,

I already have a pair of bayerdinamic T1, which I like (but don't love!)!!
I would like to try a pair of dt48 200 ohm (I'he a nice tube amp for high impedance). Please can someone tell me how it sounds with classic music making a comparison with the t1?

Thanks a lot!!

Marco

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #3,457 of 4,303
What system will be hooked to the DT48 ?

The T1 has a much better soundstage/imaging capacity, especially with classical music. But on the other hand, low level details, harmonic integrity, texture and resolution is hand down for the DT48. It depends what you value most.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I would like to try a pair of dt48 200 ohm (I'he a nice tube amp for high impedance). Please can someone tell me how it sounds with classic music making a comparison with the t1?

Thanks a lot!!

Marco

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #3,458 of 4,303

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot!!

Marco

If your making music and monitoring recordings, the DT48 is the obvious choice for its isolation and no glamour type sound. They work amazing as reference monitors.  

But for translating mixes, you will want to use speakers such as the NS10 or Auratone 5C. What you hear in headphones simply won't sound the same on speakers. 

For normal music listening, the T1 will sound better to most people. Dont expect the DT48 to impress you in the same sense that the T1 does. Different design goals...

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #3,459 of 4,303

Quote:
If your making music and monitoring recordings, the DT48 is the obvious choice for its isolation and no glamour type sound. They work amazing as reference monitors.  

But for translating mixes, you will want to use speakers such as the NS10 or Auratone 5C. What you hear in headphones simply won't sound the same on speakers. 

For normal music listening, the T1 will sound better to most people. Dont expect the DT48 to impress you in the same sense that the T1 does. Different design goals...

The DT48 was made for monitoring vocals, like field recording, movies, radio, and audio interviews...some studio engineers used them as well in the 70's. You can get better hps for monitoring in the studio today, the DT's have some roll-off on both sides this why is hard to use them as studio reference monitor. But DT's are still one of the best for vocals.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #3,460 of 4,303
X2...awesome with vocal music. But you're right, they were designed mainly for the purposes you stated, and the bass has significant roll off compared to most other phones. Interesting fact....a three time Oscar winning location sound engineer used them exclusively...or so I was told by the guy who worked under him. 

Quote:

The DT48 was made for monitoring vocals, like field recording, movies, radio, and audio interviews...some studio engineers used them as well in the 70's. You can get better hps for monitoring in the studio today, the DT's have some roll-off on both sides this why is hard to use them as studio reference monitor. But DT's are still one of the best for vocals.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #3,461 of 4,303
What roll offs?? I compare them to my speakers and they seem to sound similar less the sub 20hz vibes. Fitting the new E pads, the treble is much better. Running from a good matching amp, does it wonders. Some thing to ponder as well, they were made for audiometric tests, so why would they make one with roll offs??

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #3,462 of 4,303

Quote:
What roll offs?? I compare them to my speakers and they seem to sound similar less the sub 20hz vibes. Fitting the new E pads, the treble is much better. Running from a good matching amp, does it wonders. Some thing to ponder as well, they were made for audiometric tests, so why would they make one with roll offs??

For audiometric testing maybe it's not so important to have accurate sub 50hz.or above 10khz. But I'm referring to the dt48E which was not the model designed for audiometric testing....that was the 'A', I think. I compared my dt48E to the k240DF, which is no bass monster, and the DT48 has had less lower bass than the DF....and way less bass overall than the hd580. Could very well be the amp, but most listeners, even those with very good amps, have noticed bass roll off below 60hz or so with the 'E'.

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #3,463 of 4,303

Quote:
For audiometric testing maybe it's not so important to have accurate sub 50hz.or above 10khz. But I'm referring to the dt48E which was not the model designed for audiometric testing....that was the 'A', I think. I compared my dt48E to the k240DF, which is no bass monster, and the DT48 has had less lower bass than the DF....and way less bass overall than the hd580. Could very well be the amp, but most listeners, even those with very good amps, have noticed bass roll off below 60hz or so with the 'E'.

I think there is still a misconception about linear sound and the non-linear capabilites of our human hearing. Check out the Fletcher Munson curves, this depicts the decibel of each frequency that has to be boosted to get an equal volume of each frequency and also the perception of equal loudness at different decibels, ie at around 80 decibels or more, our human hearing is more linear.
http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #3,464 of 4,303
It would be interesting to put this "bass roll off" in context and say "compared to...".

IMO, it depends a lot on subjective references of each individuals. If you compare the bass response of the DT48 to what you perceive during an unamplified acoustic performance, you might find there is not that much difference. Remember the DT48 was designed some 70 years ago... I would bet acoustic music is all people had as subjective reference at that time. This has changed a lot.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #3,465 of 4,303
It would be interesting to put this "bass roll off" in context and say "compared to...".

IMO, it depends a lot on subjective references of each individuals. If you compare the bass response of the DT48 to what you perceive during an unamplified acoustic performance, you might find there is not that much difference. Remember the DT48 was designed some 70 years ago... I would bet acoustic music is all people had as subjective reference at that time. This has changed a lot.

Well I did say as compared to my speakers or did I, the bass frequencies loudness is similar, lest the bass that vibrates the house, so I'm going on audible bass only. Another thing is that why insist that the newer headphones with its bass emphasis like a build in loudness should be accurate on even bassier new amplified music? Did sound frequencies also change during that 70 odd years? A zero point is the reference no matter what or how many years have gone by. If going by that said i can conclude if you answer this, in your home speaker system, do you add a Subwoofer or subwoofers several times over? I'm talking audiophile systems, do they even have an over kill of subwoofers? Which acoustic performance doesn't use amplified systems for sound recordings? I really don't see the difference in your case. Have you tried Vantage isle by Deepchord on the DT48? You can hear the lower bass more clearly there due to its emphasized and extension in bass in the recordings, one way to check if the recording has emphasized bass is to use the foobar output frequency monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back