The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Jan 28, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #3,436 of 4,308
This is a good strategy. There are many (and I mean many) aspects of an audio playback system one can improve to squeeze more performance out of it before worrying if the A sounds better than the E version... The A is only marginally better IMO. For what it's worth, I haven't seen the limit of the DT48A yet despite trying hard... It will show whatever changes/improvement in my system, down to digital filters/EMI&RFI/etc...

Quote:
I'm probably better off not knowing how good the 'A' sounds. In this case, 'ignorance is bliss'. I'm really quite happy with the 'E', and it's a lot better for my wallet to just enjoy the music and not focus on minor shortcomings of the gear. Only if a used set comes up on ebay with a 1/4" plug, then perhaps I'll take the plunge.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #3,440 of 4,308

Quote:
Is the S written on the cups? are they chromed looking cups? They could be Nagras, but so far I have only seen in it 5 Ω.

Yes, they are titled DT48S, have chromed cups, the grey pad on the headband and are labeled as 25Ω. The pads weren't the original ones though and I don't know how old they are. If I get a matching screwdriver, I could open them up and look whether there's a production date that would tell me more.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #3,441 of 4,308

Quote:
Yes, they are titled DT48S, have chromed cups, the grey pad on the headband and are labeled as 25Ω. The pads weren't the original ones though and I don't know how old they are. If I get a matching screwdriver, I could open them up and look whether there's a production date that would tell me more.

Don't bother bro, They are Nagras as long as they have that Chromed cups, normally they would just have a scribble of numbers on the drivers thats all, I think the 25 Ω could be a later model. Oh I did try listening with the back covers removed.... airier 

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #3,445 of 4,308
Just went through a couple of old posts and look what i found,

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik 
I first heard about the DT48 in a thread here about the earliest stereo headphones. I thought it was the HD414, but someone pointed to the Beyer site saying that it came out in 1937 and was still in production. Yet no one at Head-Fi ever mentioned them. A little homework showed that back in the 60s, the DT48 was used by early audiophiles and caused something of a sensation. A few searches here turned up one Head-Fi'er who had found a pair years ago, but didn't like them very much. I was still interested, but wasn't going to drop $300 to find out if they might be good for something. So when a pair in the UK turned up earlier this year on eBay, I bid and got them for a little over $60 plus shipping.

I plugged them in and was stunned. They were really good. Lousy with my rock records, but I completely blissed out with jazz, vocals and smaller classical ensembles. I posted a little about them in the Beyer Owners thread but didn't want to get worked up and come across as a lunatic in the "new toy" phase. But the DT48 continued to prove itself and then kool bubba ice, jrosenth and nikongod had similar impressions.

"Originally Posted by Uncle Erik 
Beagle, one of my reference recordings is the Bill Evans Trio's Waltz for Debby SACD. It was recorded live at the Village Vanguard. Though there are a few dropouts and other artifacts, the recording is generally excellent and captures a lot of ambient noise from the audience.

On most headphones, you hear muffled conversations, tinkling of glasses, and that sort of thing. With the DT48, you can pick up on the conversations, hear words spoken and clearly place where they are on the soundstage. The SA5000 and K-1000 pull those out sufficiently well, but the DT48 is something special.

No, I haven't done level matching or anything sophisticated like that, but what once was muffled background noise isn't on the DT48. And I know that detail is there, because I get the same clarity and microdetail from my Verhagen Ribbons (BKAA65 - Ribbon Loudspeakers) and ESS AMT-1 loudspeakers. That the dynamic DT48 pulls microdetail similar to a ribbon and an AMT is remarkable.

Give them a listen some time. The DT48 is not like the DT880, so you might like them.

Also, I believe the DT48 was sold as just the DT48 for many years. All three pairs I have are just marked "DT48"; I believe the "A" and "E" designations are more recent. I do have a 25 ohm pair, but the two others are 200 ohm."

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik 
"I love these cans.

And they're not $430, B&H's email price is $336, up from $306 the last time I checked.

The DT48 was the first dynamic headphone. It was developed in 1937, but made its first public demonstration in 1950 and went into production shortly thereafter. The DT48 has been in production ever since.

Amazing that the first headphone is hardly known at Head-Fi, isn't it? Like any classic, there's a good reason it's still with us. It is one of the most detailed, transparent headphones on the market. Detail retrieval is better than just about anything I own. I've listened to the R10, 404, O2, and HE90, but not long enough to make a fair judgment. (Loved them, though!) But if you're looking for excellent reproduction of acoustic material and vocals, you'd have a hard time finding something better. Especially at this price. The electrostats might beat it, but not at $336.

If you keep your eyes open, you can often find good, used DT48s on eBay. I found my three pairs between $50 and $80. Prices should come up a little once these catch on here, but you can score an absolute bargain right now. Also, Beyerdynamic sells replacement pads, headbands and cords for these. If you're into recabling, it's a snap the way the DT48 is set up. I haven't done it yet, but it would be easy to balance the DT48, as well.

To the OP, the DT48 would make a great pair of headphones for transcription. You might also like the Sennheiser HD-600, which is my favorite all-around headphone. And if you can find one and pay enough, the K-1000 might be to your liking, as well."

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #3,446 of 4,308
Guys, you might like this track with the DT48, the transient speed of the DT48 performs fantastically as compared to my other HPs/IEMs.
Warning note; At the climax of the track,is not for the faint of heart.
eek.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #3,447 of 4,308
For you I listened in this set up:
PC + Fiio E10 (high gain, volume 2/8) + DT48E-25

In short: thanks for reminding me how good a headphone the basic DT48E can be...

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #3,448 of 4,308

Quote:
For you I listened in this set up:
PC + Fiio E10 (high gain, volume 2/8) + DT48E-25

In short: thanks for reminding me how good a headphone the basic DT48E can be...

To all the DT48 owners, you're are always welcomed.

Have tried the same track with DT770, DT880, HD650, IE80, DD1 sounded bad and blurred or messy, probably slow, the Yamaha YH1, Skullcandy MixmasterMike and the Aviators (wee bright) were not too bad actually, Finally DT48S / A and Vintage E were all astounding,

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #3,449 of 4,308
I somehow got the idea the DT48-driver is better suited in a (semi)-open headphone configuration. Isolation is great but at home I hardly need it and I often do prefer my open AKG...

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #3,450 of 4,308

Quote:
I somehow got the idea the DT48-driver is better suited in a (semi)-open headphone configuration. Isolation is great but at home I hardly need it and I often do prefer my open AKG...

I did that too, open the back covers, you do get an airier sound. The S and A models do have a less closed in sound actually, Only my A has the New E pads, but have ordered another 2 to fit the S and the Vintage E, so let me see if its just the pads. The E is best used with the 120 Ω adapter to get it FR almost like the A and S.

Oh and one more thing, it does sound very weird on the vocals on certain amps, I can't explain it exactly, but they all sound very neutral and realistic vocals on my Meier Arietta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back