The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Apr 2, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #3,046 of 4,308
I think my ears have fully accustomed to their sound signature. Even electronic music becomes listenable.

What I don't understand in here is why everyone is trying to scare people from even trying them out. First you need to have experienced that quantities of bass are less important than its tightness and texture. Second that bass in general is less important than natural highs and refined mids. Third you need to have spent 24 hours listening with them every genre possible. Then you'll become attached to that sound signature because of the laws of psycho acoustics.

Just need to sell the DT150s to a friend of mine for 100€ and then I'll never experience the need to buy any other headphones. Except if a completely new looking NAGRA DT48S from the 50s appears, then I'd reconsider :D

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #3,047 of 4,308
Those are indeed in great conditions ! Almost no sign of use expect for the cable and pads. They are older than me that is for sure
eek.gif

And I have to agree with you regarding quality and texture of bass beeing more important than just quantity, allowing psychoacoustic and your brain to recreate a natural bass experience... More to come on this point.

Quote:
The condition from those is almost like new. The only thing I would exchange would be the cable and the pads. I don't have any other comparision headphones except for the DT150s, so I can't really say id their mids are any better or worse than the ones from the regular consumer editions nowadays.

I've written an e-mail to the seller to obtain the fotos from him again. Here is a photo gallery: Click. Currently I'm listening to "Lady in Satin" and am definitely amazed.

And about that move from basshead to detail-appreciator: There still is bass, just not the one below 50hz. And these mids, speed and clarity make me enjoy the music even without the usual amounts most people outside of headfi expect "good headphones" to have. So yeah, I've fully understood the meaning behind the tale of inexperienced audiophiles searching for bass, intermediate ones searching for highs and exceptional ones searching for mids. Although it takes a good amount of masochism to enjoy that amount of comfort in combination with the killer sound.

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #3,048 of 4,308
I found the first DT T1 & DT48 comparison on this DT48 facebook site..

http://dt48a.blogspot.com/2011/04/t1-vs-dt48a.html

T1 VS the DT48A

Some early impressions so far after 3 days with the T1...

There are some pluses and minuses...

Pluses:

- Spot on tonal balance, with no frequency emphasis over the all range. Great continuity and subjective linearity. Better than HD800 in this respect (no tilted highs).
- Total absence of distortion even at high volumes, leading to a very clean sound and perfectly focused imaging. Instrument separation is trully amazing with each instruments perfectly identified in its spatial position. Total absence of blurring. Quite impressive. Returning to the DT48A feels like congested haha. The first time I ever experience that. And I never thought I would write that !

Minuses:
-The voicing of this headphone is simply way off. Nothing sounds like real life. Highs feels metallic (cymbals, violins), with a continuous impression of artificial metallic sound (tzing tzing). Even voices are rendered with a clear touch of metallic presences, appearing colder and harder than what they should. I really have no clue to what is causing that. Internal material used maybe (high rigidity plastic, etc...). Forget about the true blue sound. What a shame when we both know Beyer can perfectly do it. But I guess selling is the main point and Beyer did sacrifice true sound for a more attractive and impressive "hifi" sound.
- Low end is lacking clearly texture and microdynamic. Good presence and linearity, extends well, but lacks refinement. Feels like a subwoofer not properly set up. Listening to a double bass with the T1 is frustrating... It is sucked out of its life and seem to play just a handfull of notes and variations. Really disappointing. I'll pick the DT48 shy bass response any day over this.
- Details is fair and above average but nothing to write about. Lacks the ultimate sense of space in recordings and reverbs of studio, or even subtle variations and texture of instruments (microdynamic ?)... Maybe because it is an open design and will inherently offer less low level details than a good closed headphone. But I feel there is something lacking in the low resolution level, just as if engineers have focused more on the big picture (lack of distorsion, play loud without blurring) of the music rather than small nuances in it.

Neutral:
- Soundstage is not very wide in the center with many instruments packed together but extends a lot as you move further from the center I guess due to the inclination of the drivers. Good depth but the soundstage feels stretched from right to left. A bit difficult to adujst mentally to the overall picture, as it feels acoustic dimensions are not well preserved. But I guess this is something you can get used to in the long run. On the other side, within its limitations, the T1 is able to convey the different dimensions of recordings wether they are intimate recording with very close up mics or large scale orchestra which appear pushed back further on the scene. Not a true chameleon like DT48 is this respect, less coherent image, but still more faithfull than many headphones I have tried (including the HD800).

So overall impressions are not overwhelming... Quite a disappointment in fact. Beyer had the opportunity to combine the strengths of the DT48 (low level details, timbrical accuracy) with the strengths of the T1 (absence of distortion, precision in imaging), and could have hit a home run. But no, they preferred listening to their marketing department.

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #3,049 of 4,308

Quote:
I found the first DT T1 & DT48 comparison on this DT48 facebook site..

http://dt48a.blogspot.com/2011/04/t1-vs-dt48a.html

T1 VS the DT48A

So overall impressions are not overwhelming... Quite a disappointment in fact. Beyer had the opportunity to combine the strengths of the DT48 (low level details, timbrical accuracy) with the strengths of the T1 (absence of distortion, precision in imaging), and could have hit a home run. But no, they preferred listening to their marketing department.

Maybe the DT1350 are better matched with the DT48 than the T1.

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #3,050 of 4,308
Even if so, if Drosera's recabled DT48E already sounded improved I shy away from buying the new toy. Modifying the DT48E seems more worthwhile to me.

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #3,051 of 4,308
I just received my DT48e's today and am getting used to them.  They do sound a lot different than my DT880's.  From the short time I've had them on I can tell that I will like these more and more.  The detail in the mids is almost scary even with my setup.  I can't wait to get a couple of dacs finished and here them then.  Right now I'm just going from the phone jack of my Macbookpro to my SSMH to the phones but I already hear things that were not there before.  It not big things I'm noticing either, hearing the guitar players fingers sliding across the strings or fret buzz that was no heard before just makes it worth the price to me.  I'm one of those people who likes to here exactly what was recorded, whether good or bad.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #3,052 of 4,308
I bought these knowing that there was a problem with bass extension in the right channel.  I'm not sure at what frequency it starts but it is definitely there.  I measured the resistance at the plug and there is about a 1 ohm difference between the two drivers.  Could this cause that problem?  I'm also wondering if re-cabling would make much difference also?  The pads need replacement as well but they are not the reason for the bass problem. 

Other than that I heard a marked difference when I put on my DT880's.  They almost sounded "muddy" compared to the DT48's.  I had to stop what I was doing to make sure there was nothing wrong with my setup.  I know I will be using these a lot more in the future.  Although they do put a stain on my neck after a while.  Heavy suckers!

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #3,053 of 4,308
One suggestion that was mentioned to me was to flip the cables at the Y-split (i.e. make the left channel turn into the right, etc), and see if the bass extension problem follows the switch. If it does, then the issue lies in the cable and a recabling would most likely fix the issue.

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #3,055 of 4,308
Damn I want to try the dt48 again, just to hear what cymbals are supposed to sound like, that clear, high crispy sound :D.
If they had more bass, I tell you they would be the perfect solution for mixing when you can't use a monitor.
Im so tempted to buy them for 230 euros right now, the 200 ohm version. But I suppose they don't have more bass then the 25 ohm version :frowning2:.

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #3,056 of 4,308
That's why great vintage cans like the HP1/HP2 would be more Ideal for mixing.. From what I gather, the DT48 isn't great for mixing heavy bass music & will usually come out sounding more bass heavy.. If you read more in this thread, pads seem to play a major role in the bass along with proper fit.

Quote:
Damn I want to try the dt48 again, just to hear what cymbals are supposed to sound like, that clear, high crispy sound :D.
If they had more bass, I tell you they would be the perfect solution for mixing when you can't use a monitor.
Im so tempted to buy them for 230 euros right now, the 200 ohm version. But I suppose they don't have more bass then the 25 ohm version :frowning2:.

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #3,057 of 4,308
I doubt it's good for mixing any music that features bass... period. There's not enough of the low bass frequencies to mix accurately....and that's with good pads and a proper fit.  If there's excess low bass in the mix, you very will might miss it with the dt48. But for the mids they can be a great mixing tool. I use them along with the k240DF and speakers

Quote:
That's why great vintage cans like the HP1/HP2 would be more Ideal for mixing.. From what I gather, the DT48 isn't great for mixing heavy bass music & will usually come out sounding more bass heavy.. If you read more in this thread, pads seem to play a major role in the bass along with proper fit.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #3,058 of 4,308
I swapped the the leads in the Y connector and the problem stayed on the right side.  So I took the cover off the driver.  I took the screws out of the driver connectors and both kind of popped out.  Then I noticed this.

It did not seem strange at first because I thought that the blade with the screw hole was a terminal for the connector.  I put it back together and nothing.  Started measuring and had continuity from the plug to each lead but not across the two.  Took it apart again and saw this:

It's not real clear but you can see a piece of fine copper wire coming out of there.  It seems that the actual leads are those two hair-like wires and the screws just hold the terminal in place.  I'm pretty frustrated right now with this.  Can it be fixed?  I don't see any way to get the driver out of the cup at all.  Is there even a remote chance of it working again?  What are the chances of getting another driver from Beyer? 

Today was going great until this.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #3,059 of 4,308
Ick...those are the voice coils, You could probably get them fixed, but it'll be damn hard. Beyerdynamic has replacements though. I'm not sure which version you have, but the 25 ohm version is part [size=11pt]955438, and the 200 ohm version is part [/size][size=11pt]902938. The parts manager said the 25 ohm driver is $529,00, but I think the decimal needs to be moved over to the left or something[/size][size=11pt]. [/size][size=11pt]The 200 ohm is $89 each.[/size] And I was told you need to order them in pairs.

It appears only the early ones have the connection from the wire to the coil separated, which makes no sense. The signal was transferred between pieces of metal by force, which doesn't really degrade the sound, and makes recabling much easier. No idea why they would change that. I successfully redid a faulty connection the way that I said it'd work (and I really really hope that this situation isn't my fault...)

Hope this helps somewhat. Bummer that it happened though.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #3,060 of 4,308
It's a real bummer if those really cost $529.00 each.  If that's the case I'll just buy the T1's.

I could not figure out how to get the voice coils out.  It looks like they are glued in and I could see no way of getting it loose.  Anyone take them out before with success?  I've fixed things like this before and it's always hit or miss.  I look at it like this, it's already broken so I can't really make it worse. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back