The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Feb 2, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #2,731 of 4,308
Cool lejaz I also saw the Count Basie Orchestra live, pretty cool experience, I don't have any albums though

Thanks for reminding me Shamu about the unterminated cable, luckily I have a fp-704 plug that I never ended up using for an extension chord I was planning to make. Was removing the stock pads difficult at all? I don't want to mangle a perfectly good pair of dt48's.

Hopefully I'll get those T1s soon, thats what I'm most interested in comparing.

Quote:
Look forward to your impressions of the dt48a. My impressions of the dt48e are very similar to yours. I compared them head to head with the k702 and the akg sounds REALLY bright compared to the Beyer, which sounds more 'flat' and true to life. Was listening to Sinatra Live at the Sands which features some great orchestrations by Quincy Jones, I think, and the Count Basie orchestra. The horn sections with the dt48 are exactly like I remember hearing them when I heard horns live. The 702 added a brightness and thinness that was unnatural. In some ways I DO prefer listening with the 702 though. The bass is warmer and fuller and goes lower and they have that huge sound stage....they produce more of an 'audiophile' type of sound IMO. Plus the 702 is way more comfortable to wear for long periods. They're very different animals for sure

Quote:
What an exciting competition round for the DT48A. Now I am really interested in reading your impressions... The Prehead with the 120 ohm output impedance should be perfect indeed, at least technically. And I also second using DT48E pads on the DT48A instead of the original rubber pads which are a real pain for the ears. Funny that your longest post ever is DT48 talk, the headphone that probably gets less attention in forums !

PD: the DT48A comes usually bare ended... You might have to reterminate it with a proper plug.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #2,732 of 4,308
Removing the rubber pad of the DT48A is extremely easy, no worry. They just come out as you pull them out. You might want to pay attention to align properly the new E pads though. The E pads - unless the rubber pads - are sticky and won't be removed without damaging them. Oh, and I also use the FP-704 on mine
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #2,733 of 4,308

When I first got the DT-48, circa 1975, based on Stereophile's recommended components, I couldn't believe it. It sounded like a five dollar transistor radio. After some listening, I was able to hear slightly more range, but still there was no bass or highs like a modern headphone, like the Koss ESP-9 electrostatics or the Stax SRX models. So I got a Soundcraftsman Equalizer and moved the levers this way and that until the bass and highs were as similar as I could get them (to the Koss and Stax), and that was a radical equalization that left peaks and dips that couldn't be addressed with just a 10 or 12 band equalizer. The DT-48 was made for hearing tests of mid and mid-high frequencies, not for high fidelity.

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #2,734 of 4,308
Perhaps you didn't get a good seal with the pads? The dt48a was made for audiometric testing I think, but should have a very flat frequency response throughout the midrange at least...without dips and peaks... or it would be a very poor tool for testing hearing. The 48e that I have (80's vintage) is not at all as you describe, though it's no bass monster. Not the best choice for electronica or bass-centric music, but I've been around live music for several decades now, and the dt48 sounds a lot more true to life with acoustic instruments than most other phones i've heard. Just my $.02...you obviously may hear them differently.

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #2,735 of 4,308
Well I received the DT48a yesterday, on my head right now. The rolled off bass isn't as bad as I remember from when I had the dt48e, I'm finding I get used to it pretty quickly, and also I'm not noticing the treble to rolled off as much as people say. As far as the rest goes, clarity and instrument separation are top notch, the only headphone I've heard thus far that rivals it is the Stax SR-507. In fact I'd say the dt48a has a lot in common with the SR-507, at least to my ears.  The sound stage on the dt48a is a bit narrow giving a bit of in-your-head feeling which is a bit fatiguing for me, but doesn't detract from the excellent placement of each instrument. The SR-507 had a wider sound stage, but wasn't exagerated the way it is on some headphones such as the D7000, The instruments seemed to come from all around you on the sr-507, creating a less in-your-head feeling making it probably the least fatiguing headphone I've heard in that respect. The main reason I didn't stick with them was because I found them to be a bit treble tilted, with some harshness in the upper mid range which made it not suitable for a lot of the music I listen to.

Back to the dt48a. So how does it handle that upper mid range(about 2.5khz) that seems to plague all the headphones I listen to? Very well, its detailed and precise without being hard on my ears, very little 'harshness' or brightness. This is a revelation for me, it basically handles every genre of music I listen to including metal and remains very interesting to listen to due to its incredibly detailed and 3D mid range. On Sam Prekop's self titled album it picks up every nuanced detail with the vocals guitars and keys, surreal is the word I'd use with how it can make vocals sound, precise and smooth at the same time. Some of its weaknesses: obviously its lack of bass, these cans aren't for bass-heads by any means. I don't consider this a weakness but it could be for others: I find nothing to be exagerated with the dt48, it doesn't add coloration to the music, which for me I think is what I want but for others I could see how it may not appeal. Also music that has lots of bass and treble with little mid range can sound pretty average on these phones due to the fact that its sweet spot is the mid range. And then I already mentioned this but the soundstage is very articulate but a bit closed in making them a tad fatiguing for me.

Its hard for me to compare to other headphones such as the LCD-2 or D7000 because those sound so different to my ears. Hopefully I won't get flamed for typing this but I actually found the tonality of the LCD-2 a bit dull in comparison to dt48 or the sr-507. The mid range or instrument separation wasn't nearly as interesting to me. I could just tell right away the LCD2's weren't for me.

Anyhow that's all for now. I'm hoping I found my sound with the DT48as as odd as that may seem. Maybe more impressions to follow when I receive my T1's. Also this is my first attempt at any sort of impressions or 'review' so take it easy on me. cheers

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #2,736 of 4,308
Nice review! "surreal is the word I'd use with how it can make vocals sound, precise and smooth at the same time."
That's indeed a good description of the way Sinatra can sound with the dt48. My other phones have their strong points, but they can't do vocals like that.

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #2,737 of 4,308

Very nice impressions RTF and interestingly, I fully share your views on the DT48A. Now, I have been able to compare the E and A versions side by side, and I concur with the DT48A having very little if none treble roll-off... On the other hand, I remember the E version roll off was slightly more pronounced. 

Quote:
The rolled off bass isn't as bad as I remember from when I had the dt48e, I'm finding I get used to it pretty quickly, and also I'm not noticing the treble to rolled off as much as people say.

I feel the DT48A responds very well to crossfeed, much more than the Fostex T50Rp for example. With crossfeed on, the soundstage does not appear as closed-in and is layered in a much more coherent way with placement of instruments virtually moved towards front-center while retaining this fantastic separation ability. I use the Redline Monitor crossfeed software and do not look back. Since then, I can relax and even enjoy the DT48A for casual and distracted listening.

Quote:
The sound stage on the dt48a is a bit narrow giving a bit of in-your-head feeling which is a bit fatiguing for me, but doesn't detract from the excellent placement of each instrument. [...] And then I already mentioned this but the soundstage is very articulate but a bit closed in making them a tad fatiguing for me.

I had the SR-303 for more than one year and can relate their sound to your impressions of the SR-507. I personnally got tired of their diffuse and wide soundstage, as well as lack of weight in notes.

On the other side, that you find the tonality of the LCD2 a bit dull - as opposed to sheer realism or true blue sound of the DT48 midrange -  is exactly one of my concerns after getting to know well the Fostex T50Rp, as well as proper soundstage imaging ability.

I will be very interested to hear your comparison with the T1... Beyer audiophile flagship vs their own monitor flagship...

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #2,738 of 4,308
From my understanding & reading the DT48 was made to meet NAGRA standards.. So they probably are not up to snuff for most audiophiles.. I like a rich, warm, & lush sound. Artifical or not.. I just want a pleasing sound which my ortho's give me in spades..

Quote:

When I first got the DT-48, circa 1975, based on Stereophile's recommended components, I couldn't believe it. It sounded like a five dollar transistor radio. After some listening, I was able to hear slightly more range, but still there was no bass or highs like a modern headphone, like the Koss ESP-9 electrostatics or the Stax SRX models. So I got a Soundcraftsman Equalizer and moved the levers this way and that until the bass and highs were as similar as I could get them (to the Koss and Stax), and that was a radical equalization that left peaks and dips that couldn't be addressed with just a 10 or 12 band equalizer. The DT-48 was made for hearing tests of mid and mid-high frequencies, not for high fidelity.

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #2,739 of 4,308
New owner of the DT48 here.

Having read this entire thread, plus the other appreciation-thread, I decided to give these a try.  First thing I'd like to mention is:  I'm no audiophile.  And another point is, this is actually my very first over-ear pair of headphones.  I'm totally objective here (at least trying to be), as I'm writing this in order to help others make their right choice about the DT48 specifically.

What I have is a vintage DT-48 E (dual cable-entry), 25 ohm model.  It is mono-terminated.  No signs on the screws lead me to the conclusion that they haven't been recabled.  Most probably the original cabling and plug (with some digits and letters on it).  They have the flatter pads - therefore only decent isolation, and not the best seal.  They're on my head for 1-1.5 hours now, and the clamping force isn't that bad, but it might be due to their age (looks really old).

For an amp, I'm using the Aqua Head, I see no reason why anybody would know it, so just for the sake of getting a perspective - it is very well-regarded among local audiophile communities, specifically for its transparency (hence 'Aqua').  In case it adds something to the 'perspective', I'd tried the LCD  2 with this Aqua amp, and it sounded terrific, out of some small DAC that I regret for not being able to specify now (it was a small thing, 350 dollars unit, if this helps).  I couldn't ask for more - outstanding soundstage, absolutely no distortion (or hiss for that matter), even at very high SPLs (though, when connected directly to a PC headphone-out, soundstage turned very narrow and there was significant distortion in high SPLs, couldn't reach even half I listened to, through the DAC).  Alright this was for the amp, maybe a bit too much - sorry !

A word about my musical taste - I like hard rock and metal (not typical for a DT48 signature), I mainly listen to Rammstein.

Now for the impressions... I'll try to organize it into some points.  Let's see how it turns out.

Physically

1.  First thing is to put them on your head for the first time, and I immediately noticed that a good fit is the key for getting a good sound (signature) out of them.  Note that 'fit' has a few factors:
  1. the headband (screw-adjustable);
  2. the pads (probably the new ones will be better);
  3. the pads are also circularly-adjustable;
  4. the ear-caps (adjustable too; they can move 'forward' or 'backward');
  5. and, how you place it on your head of course.

(Just look for anything moveable and play with it.) 

2.  Sweat - I do feel it's getting hot inside there, and (just checked) it does have signs of sweat on it.

3.  Clamping force - as I mentioned, not too bad.  I'd say, if you're looking for it, you'll definitely find it.

4.  The flat pads are indeed not comfortable - but I can live with it.

Sound [bare in mind:  going PC soundcard out > amp (no DAC) > DT48, mono terminated]

1.  For the first 0.5h it sounded like a radio, but it didn't took too long until I started to appreciate what I heard (2 hours now).

2.  As most had said, I do have noticed things I never heard before.  The music sounds really 'deep' sometimes, in a very natural way.  It's like the sounds have a 'background', or a small 'shade' behind them, that makes them richer and realistic.  You do hear things differently with these, in a purely good way.

3.  Electronic guitars that usually are produced with distortion (aka a highly appreciated factor in the hard rock / metal genre) - no significant distortion here on one side, but - I do hear the guitars playing where I never heard before.  It kind of 'reveals' them, even though not producing the desirable and enjoyable distortion.

4.  It clearly brings everything forward, feels like every aspect of the sound is pronounced just as it's supposed to be pronounced, nothing left behind, nothing is brought too forward, including the mids, in my opinion.  As someone said before, if you're expecting to get no bass, you will find no real bass.  Because it's not over-pronounced like in most sound-producing devices today.  However, as far as I know my music (years) it is, more or less, just about fine, pretty much the ideal bass / lows / low mids for my music (I mainly listen to Rammstein).  Others may think differently of course.

5.  Echo / reverb - when it's there, you clearly hear it.  Fantastic is how I'd describe it.

6.  Another note about the bass - there might, or there should be a deeper bass impact due to likely better isolation, with the new-gen. earpads.  I have a pair, but still haven't figured out how to remove the older flat ones - anyone can advise me on it please ?

Technically

Driven very well (volume-wise) by my Sansa Clip+.  With an adapter I made (1/4 > right angled 1/8) I can go fully portable with them.

So far so good, I like the DT48 very much.  Hopefully I'll replace the earpads soon, and will eventually recable or re-terminate them (to stereo).

Thank you to anyone who contributed to this thread by the way.  Long, but worth reading (including interesting external links).

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #2,740 of 4,308

Quote:
From my understanding & reading the DT48 was made to meet NAGRA standards.. So they probably are not up to snuff for most audiophiles.. I like a rich, warm, & lush sound. Artifical or not.. I just want a pleasing sound which my ortho's give me in spades..

The music itself is not warm and lush and 'pleasing' enough for your taste? Perhaps it wasn't produced to be warm and lush. You're probably not a candidate to try the dt48 since they for sure won't add any warmth and lushness. My own preference is to hear it the way it was recorded/produced with as little added 'color' as possible so I try to listen with the most 'neutral' and transparent phone I can afford. But nothing inherently wrong with adding warmth and 'lushness'. 'To each his own', as they say.

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #2,741 of 4,308
I was wondering if anyone has any idea if the beyerdynamic dt880 pro 250 or the akg k701 come close (or atleast near) the detail and highs of the beyers dt 48e? 
In regard of hearing textures of hihats (cymbals) etc, things you don't hear with your average headphone. I am addicted to those dt48 highs, they are amazing.

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #2,742 of 4,308

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has any idea if the beyerdynamic dt880 pro 250 or the akg k701 come close (or atleast near) the detail and highs of the beyers dt 48e? 
In regard of hearing textures of hihats (cymbals) etc, things you don't hear with your average headphone. I am addicted to those dt48 highs, they are amazing.

That's interesting, because usually the highs aren't what people love most about the DT48.  If you are starting to get obsessed with the DT48, the ideal place to head next would be some orthos or electrostatics.  They are also (when properly damped) delightfully detailed, and have this incredible midrange and a tendency to be quite detailed, along with this remarkable sustain in the high end that makes them (like the DT48) really, really fast and nimble.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #2,743 of 4,308
I had the SR-303 for more than one year and can relate their sound to your impressions of the SR-507. I personnally got tired of their diffuse and wide soundstage, as well as lack of weight in notes.

On the other side, that you find the tonality of the LCD2 a bit dull - as opposed to sheer realism or true blue sound of the DT48 midrange -  is exactly one of my concerns after getting to know well the Fostex T50Rp, as well as proper soundstage imaging ability.

I will be very interested to hear your comparison with the T1... Beyer audiophile flagship vs their own monitor flagship...

303 is not like 507 at all. The former is a lot brighter and the bass is boomy/flabby/not very deep. 507 is a lot more balanced

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #2,744 of 4,308
Hmm, those are some expensive alternatives. I don't have that kind of money to spend unfortunately. I suppose neither the k701 nor the 880 wil come close?
Those stax electrostatics looked tasty to me, but in the netherlands they are way overpriced.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #2,745 of 4,308
The K701 and DT880 demand a good amplifier and a clean signal. Try a search on old studio headphones and you could be in for a surprise. Old AKGs sometimes turn up, old Pioneers and other brands too.

However, a K702 for about 300 euros seems reasonable to me. Finally the prices went down.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back