The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Mar 28, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #1,771 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by H-ermes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello guys,

I would like to know what would be your advicesabout recabling. I would like to get a new cable because I noticed that with mine, I do have some "grrezfzzrfgzg" when I touch the cable.

Any ideas ?

Thanks for your inputs,

H.

What version do you have? I ask, cause it it's the a version it comes bare ended, so anyone could have recabled it.. Ie un skilled & shotty work.

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #1,772 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What version do you have? I ask, cause it it's the a version it comes bare ended, so anyone could have recabled it.. Ie un skilled & shotty work.

It's the 25 Ohms version. It's a second hand headphone and the original owner bought it in 2001 or 2002.

Thanks.

H.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #1,773 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by H-ermes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the 25 Ohms version. It's a second hand headphone and the original owner bought it in 2001 or 2002.

Thanks.

H.

I'd just get it recabled.. The stock cable cost around 40.00.. I hear it's easy to recable the DT48.. You can ask a DIYer to do it, or just get a better revable from a 3rd cable maker..

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #1,776 of 4,307
Quote:

They look great.. Price is 'fair' if you consider their MSRP is 449.. But for a used, vintage DT48A 285 is too much.. I already have 3, & my oppo broke me for a month.. But Kevin might be interested!

What is the differences between the new A, and the vintage 48A?

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #1,777 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the differences between the new A, and the vintage 48A?

I have 3 & all are a bit difference.. My Fav is the one from Asia.. It has all black cups which doesn't fit the audio metric standard of one blue/ one red cup.. The black cup DT48a has a smoothness the other two lack..& matched well with your CD.. I will bring that DT48a if we get together for a mini meet.. Truly reference stuff with your CD.. Maybe it's do to your beat selection, a lot of bleeps, blips, etc.. Since these were made for hearing test maybe they sync better in that regard.. Narrower sound stage then the other two.. More reverb extraction from studio/recording.. The recable has 'eagle' on it..

My oldest is from 51 or a bit later.. Serial number is 109 I believe.. The cups have a gloss to them that my 05 DT48a don't.. & deeper color saturation then my 05 model.. Headband is pretty barbaric & feels like a midevil torture contraption..Albeit, comfort isn't too bad.. These are the most harsh & unrefined out of the bunch.. But are a bit more detailed with a resolution that goes slightly further then my other two..

My 05 model has bright Cherry red cups, & bright blue cups.. Lacks the harshness of mt 50's DT48, & more refined in all areas..

as a note.. my 50's 05 model have been recabled with a APS 3 cable.. I noticed a increase in the overall size of the SS, but still heavily titled to Left & right.. & they seem to be louder.. Not sure why.. When it comes to the DT48a, they are bare ended, so you have no idea how skilled the person is who cabled the DT48a. I know my 50's DT48a cable was spliced according to Alex.. Think Single power/R10.

I wouldn't recommend the DT48A for 285 unless you really know what you are getting into..

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #1,778 of 4,307
Quote:

They look great.. Price is 'fair' if you consider their MSRP is 449.. But for a used, vintage DT48A 285 is too much.. I already have 3, & my oppo broke me for a month.. But Kevin might be interested!

Indeed Kevin was
very_evil_smiley.gif

I know I am going crazy, but I am determined to get to the bottom of this headphone thing
wink.gif
. I missed a pair of DT-48a here a week ago for $200, so I wasn't going to let another get away (though I probably overpaid a bit).

Now for some stats. I know.

But I am 57 yrs old and finally making some decent $$$, so what the hell, let's go and blow it all...

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #1,779 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed Kevin was
very_evil_smiley.gif

I know I am going crazy, but I am determined to get to the bottom of this headphone thing
wink.gif
. I missed a pair of DT-48a here a week ago for $200, so I wasn't going to let another get away (though I probably overpaid a bit).

Now for some stats. I know.

But I am 57 yrs old and finally making some decent $$$, so what the hell, let's go and blow it all...

Don't feel too bad Kevin. I paid 275 for my first pair. Channel balance is the best I heard. Each transducer is hand selected/matched like the T1. With a deviation of less then 1 db. Mine came with a personal FG, since, from my understanding, they are all a bit different like the FG sen issues for the HD800. Beyer claims their DT48a lacks colorization and distortion (forgot the rest of the sentence.) Just check the wiki DT48 site.. I have DT48a data there. Expect a bit more rid range emphasis, better acoustic reproduction, narrow sound stage and less bass. The audio metric sound is even more different sounding the the DT48e, and makes them sound a bit colored in comparison. For technical merit these are my reference cans. As much as you like the DT48, you might wind up not liking these at all. They are that different sounding. They sound like a hi rez AM station.. Thats the best way to describe them.. And very limited for genres. Voices. Jazz, chamber music, and small orchestra recitals.

Ok.. Now how bout the CD3000!!! Are they really prat monsters?? I'm liking my 83se more and more.. I know Hotel CA by heart, but with this player I couldnlt believe all the little nuances and nooks and cranny I was missing.. And no noise floor to speak of.. Add my GP V5 with upgraded heat sinks for a lowered noise floor, then add in the very low distortion of the DT48, and I came away with a listening experience I never heard before. This betters the Cambridge 640/GS1/701 combo I heard at a meet.. Same song. Hotel CA. The Focus on this player is incredible. Matches best with my Cardas recabled vintage DT48e 8ohm with 120 adapter. I'm still very skeptical of burn in.. But does seem to sound 'better' after 10 hrs. I still feel this player needs a headphone with a wide, deep, and spacious SS. The HD800 with this player would turn my brain cells into a uphoric mush. Getting a HD800 is no longer an option. It is now my #1 priority. Ithink I could live with the HD800/83SE/GP V5 or auditor without the urge to upgrade for a loooooooooong time.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #1,780 of 4,307
The new DT48e is a wonderful headphone. True, this is my first headphone in this range, or anywhere near it, but it will probably be the only one. They reproduce my piano like nothing I've heard before, save the piano. Well satisfied, but hoping clamping force will lessen a little and bass will come out a bit more with time. Thank you for you recommendations, I look forward to using these more.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #1,781 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by duke11235 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new DT48e is a wonderful headphone. True, this is my first headphone in this range, or anywhere near it, but it will probably be the only one. They reproduce my piano like nothing I've heard before, save the piano. Well satisfied, but hoping clamping force will lessen a little and bass will come out a bit more with time. Thank you for you recommendations, I look forward to using these more.

Clamping force does ease up a bit.. Not sure what model you have but the newer DT48e has more bass weight & impact... Glad you like them... Let us know further impressions..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #1,783 of 4,307
All separate very well, minus the 60's DT48S, which I feel tries to compress the music to the center.. They are my least favorite DT48, but has one of the better mid ranges I heard compared to other DT48's.. The original NAGRA DT48 from the 50's has the cleanest sound with the best clarity.. This headphone makes me want to try out a good STAX system since they are known to have better clarity then dynamic headphones..2nd, or on par would be the DT48a.. But they sound a bit different being audio metric, extreme high fidelity, & sounds like a very clear AM station, & some might feel the sound is 'tiny,' or like talking in a tin can..Albeit, I would completely disagree.. If true, they would be pretty useless for what they were made for..

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #1,784 of 4,307
Thanks to kool bubba ice for all his help and guidance, as well as everyone else in this thread and others who have offered such great descriptions and advice.
atsmile.gif

They are due here on Friday, so I'll be doing a lot of comparing with my old AKG's and Senn's, and just plain listening and listening...

So many speak of 'break-in'... would that hold true for these?

shane

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #1,785 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to kool bubba ice for all his help and guidance, as well as everyone else in this thread and others who have offered such great descriptions and advice.
atsmile.gif

They are due here on Friday, so I'll be doing a lot of comparing with my old AKG's and Senn's, and just plain listening and listening...

So many speak of 'break-in'... would that hold true for these?

shane

Hard to say.. 7 of the ones I have are at least 5-55 yrs old..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back