The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Mar 23, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #1,758 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by duke11235 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by"extension" You mean the treble drop is less for the newer. Isn't the bass flat already? You now anywhere you can get vintage DT48?

The treble has more extension with the newer model.. It extends further. Sorry if I'm explaining it wrong. Less treble roll off. This is based on comparing both models. I don't have a new frequency graph to compare the new and old. The bass is flat, no emphasis or boost in any region. But the bass does have a bit more impact, weight, and fullness that the vintage models lack.. To my ears the bass extends a bit further on the newer models. The new models sound more like modern headphones and are a bit more conventional then past DT48e models. You might prefer the sound of the newer models. They are more 'fun' and engaging then the vintage pair, while still maintaining the core strengths of the DT48, but lose some of the magic that makes the DT48, the DT48.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #1,759 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I have been on a mini-quest to educate myself recently (actually since I got my tax refund check
biggrin.gif
Yes, I know, sorry about my wallet
redface.gif
)

Wow, Kevin, all I can say is: that must have been some tax-return!
wink.gif

That's some really lovely (vintage) gear you have there. I'm especially curious how the Revox would sound, and how it would measure up to more modern equipment.

What brought about this sudden interest in high-end headphones, apart from "I gots to know"?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #1,760 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, Kevin, all I can say is: that must have been some tax-return!
wink.gif

That's some really lovely (vintage) gear you have there. I'm especially curious how the Revox would sound, and how it would measure up to more modern equipment.

What brought about this sudden interest in high-end headphones, apart from "I gots to know"?
smily_headphones1.gif

I have been interested over the last 30 years on and off, for example, I have owned Stax stuff, DT-990, K-1000 and lusted mightily over Sony R-10 when they first hit the market and a friend distributed them.

But the emergence of portable audio (and a 3 hour train commute every day) re-kindled and stepped up my interest in phones and my moderate case of obsessive-compulsiveness took over from there
confused_face.gif

The Revox is quite a nice 100 watt integrated, both sonically, where it is a very good sounding amp and in terms of facilities and features. A Stereophile writer friend of mine cued me into it, I use it in my bedroom system. It is especially nice for phones as it has two speaker outputs (I use one for my speakers and the other is for my K-1000) and two headphone jacks with a seperate fine level adjustment so you can adjust the other phones to match the K-1000 in level for comparisons.

Kevin

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #1,761 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Kev.. What language are you speaking in? I'm not native in DIY/ hi end audiophila..
tongue_smile.gif

The gainclone amp is a "clone" of an 25 watt/channel amplifier made by a company called 47 Labs that they called a Gaincard. Thus, Gain+clone. The original amp's selling point was that it had a very small parts count and that was what made it sound so good.

It used a National Semiconductor audio amplifier IC (that's how it had such a low parts count) and eventually was reverse-engineered and a schematic posted on the internet (you can Google "gainclone" and find it). Because of it's low parts count, it's pretty easy to build and does sound pretty good. Mine has a volume control and a headphone jack, so it makes a nice headphone amp with enough power to drive the K-1000. It became a popular amp to build, there are blogs and websites devoted to it. You can even find home built gainclones on Audiogon from time to time.

Kevin

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #1,762 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is a better place on Head-Fi to ask this question, please point me in the right direction. Bought a used DT48 of undetermined age off Ebay in December. I replaced the cable on the phone (intermittant problems) with what appears to be the stock one. Now I'm no expert at soldering, but I did a continuity test on the cable after the solder job and the cable itself checks out OK. The problem is that I now get no sound at all. Any thoughts on what I did wrong or need to check? It seemed too easy at the time.
frown.gif

I should add that when I soldered the cable, I unscrewed the little brass connection from the phones, so they were not connected to the transducers at the time.

That may have been a mistake. I don't remember how the wires from the transducer connect to the tabs, you may have broken the wires to the transducer itself removing the screws. When I worked on mine, I left the screws in and just soldered to the tab. Take your meter and measure between the two tabs on each transducer, you should measure a low resistance. If not, oops. I don't know if the connections can be remade or not. If worse comes to worse, you could send them to me and I could assess the situation if you like.

Kevin

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #1,763 of 4,307
I did it.. I bought the OPPO83SE.. Damn CA tax was 84.00.. Total was 994.00..( But I get to hear the cutting edge DACS!! Whuppie!! 4 for each changel, L/R analog! More detail!! More clarity!! Yippy!! Next is the HD800..ugh.. I will give you my impressions..

The Oppo BDP-83SE player incorporates ESS Technology’s state-of-the-art Sabre DAC, widely acknowledged as one of the industry’s best. The 7.1 multi-channel unit employs a single 8-channel Sabre DAC. The stereo channels’ dedicated Sabre DAC is achieved by stacking four DACs per left and right channel for utmost transparency and dynamic range.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #1,764 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That may have been a mistake. I don't remember how the wires from the transducer connect to the tabs, you may have broken the wires to the transducer itself removing the screws. When I worked on mine, I left the screws in and just soldered to the tab. Take your meter and measure between the two tabs on each transducer, you should measure a low resistance. If not, oops. I don't know if the connections can be remade or not. If worse comes to worse, you could send them to me and I could assess the situation if you like.

Kevin

With the probes from the multimeter on each side of the tabs, I do get a reading on each transducer. I'll have to fiddle with them some more when I get so free time (wife was in surgery yesterday, doing fine). Hope these are not going to be relegated to becoming an expensive paperweight. Thank you for the offer to look at these; I may take you up on it in a week or two.

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #1,765 of 4,307
That is a very nice DAC bubba. You wont have DAC upgratis for awhile, thats for sure.

My next upgrade will be a DAC I think. My MacBook Pro actually does 96khz/24 bit sample rate with no artifacts. There is an obvious difference in sound with different sample rates. The DT48 ruthlessly reveals this. So I bet a DAC upgrade will be great for me.

But I am still very exited about the sound im getting, especially with my new amplifier. It makes me smile in every song and shake my head in disbelief. I never knew how much the amp made a difference.

I will eventually get a DAC, but for now mine isnt half bad atleast.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #1,766 of 4,307
Can't wait to hear this cutting edge DAC, especially since the DT48 are so transparent. I heard the mids are sweet on the 83SE, which would be good.. I hear the DAC is very detailed, plus my very detailed DT48 & GP V5.. I will hear nuances in my audio & films I never heard before.. Can't believe theres gear even more revealing.. How far does the rabbit hole go.. To I take the red or blue pill.. I think I already made that choice.. My next big budget item is the HD800..

The ES9016 Sabre(32) Ultra DAC claims to differ from conventional sigma-delta DACs, incorporating patented circuits specified to provide up to 128dB dynamic range and 0.0003 percent (-110dB) total harmonic distortion, and freedom from clock jitter. Some of the patented circuits in the Sabre(32) DAC include the 32-bit HyperStream modulator, said to be capable of 100 percent modulation and unconditional stability, the Revolver Dynamic Element Matching which ensures the highest performance over an exceptionally wide audio dynamic range, and a Time Domain Jitter Eliminator to remove the digital jitter that causes distortion.

I also read it supports DSD to HDMI with DSD to analog not converted to PCM. Hope I got that right.

Eyedrop, a good 2-4 hundred dac would be great if you have the money

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #1,767 of 4,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't wait to hear this cutting edge DAC, especially since the DT48 are so transparent. I heard the mids are sweet on the 83SE, which would be good.. I hear the DAC is very detailed, plus my very detailed DT48 & GP V5.. I will hear nuances in my audio & films I never heard before.. Can't believe theres gear even more revealing.. How far does the rabbit hole go.. To I take the red or blue pill.. I think I already made that choice.. My next big budget item is the HD800..

The ES9016 Sabre(32) Ultra DAC claims to differ from conventional sigma-delta DACs, incorporating patented circuits specified to provide up to 128dB dynamic range and 0.0003 percent (-110dB) total harmonic distortion, and freedom from clock jitter. Some of the patented circuits in the Sabre(32) DAC include the 32-bit HyperStream modulator, said to be capable of 100 percent modulation and unconditional stability, the Revolver Dynamic Element Matching which ensures the highest performance over an exceptionally wide audio dynamic range, and a Time Domain Jitter Eliminator to remove the digital jitter that causes distortion.

I also read it supports DSD to HDMI with DSD to analog not converted to PCM. Hope I got that right.

Eyedrop, a good 2-4 hundred dac would be great if you have the money

Congratulations and enjoy. I know you can't wait...

The Sony CD-3000 should come tomorrow, we shall see.

Kevin

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #1,769 of 4,307
Just got my OPPO.. Will give listening impressions when I get home.
bigsmile_face.gif

The 1/2 hr impression. Was looking for a night and day difference , didn't get it. To be fair, I play my Pink Floyd the wall SACD on default settings. So a huge difference is still possible. I really believe a more conventional headphone would help me to evaluate the player better. Have yet to try SACD or DVDA..But dsd over HDMI without being out put to pcm is a nice touch.

The the that hits you the most is the extreme focus of the music. It's like being on Retalin in a sense, my GP V5 amp has this quality, but not to this extent. It's like being in a minor Zen state or hypnotic trance. Your attention is totally focuced on the music. No wavering. Ialso notice air in areas I normally wouldn't expect like individual plucks of strings, and the bass is really tout and tight. The SS isn't huge but precise and pretty accurate in accordance to the other instruments.

Another notable. Midrange. Voices are more audible, clearer, more coherent and easier to under stand. This was most evident in the last portion of the wall song. The noise floor feels a bit like a free fall. Like there is no floor to speak of. the music is just suspended and tightly controlled. Micro nuances are more abudent hrough out with a hightened sense of resolve to the music in general. I like what I hear, but expected more of a wow factor. Still. I haven't fiddeled much and has yet to touch the manual, so more improvements can arise. Overall, I'm impressed with CD play back, but expected more improvements due to the cutting edge dac.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #1,770 of 4,307
Hello guys,

I would like to know what would be your advicesabout recabling. I would like to get a new cable because I noticed that with mine, I do have some "grrezfzzrfgzg" when I touch the cable.

Any ideas ?

Thanks for your inputs,

H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back