The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Dec 14, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #1,276 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second that. I had very little time with K701, but heard them for a few hours in my system, and thought they were at least as resolving as my old (very old) pair of DT48S. My DT48S have the new E pads as well, and a new DT48E stereo cable. But the DT48S rules when it comes to overall frequency balance compared to K701.

However, and I know some of you will strongly disagree with me, but I found the newer DT48E vastly superior to the DT48S in terms of resolution and transparency. I even found the DT48S a LOT more forgiving than DT48E. For example, they do not show sibilances the way DT48E resolve it.

So I am definitely keeping my DT48E
tongue.gif

I think part of the DT48 resolving power owes itself to the the cast steel closed cups which I think give the music a very dark background which certainly shows up the much decried 701 lower treble spike.

I certainly want to buy my own DT48 and hear more of the various versions, especially the newer DT48E maybe even DT48A. From all the whining about how the bass is so anemic and they were so harsh sounding which painted a picture of a headphone for occasional use at best but to me they just sound like pure music flowing into my ears and I would use them daily, so I suppose I may be the newest addition to the DT48 fanatic club.

So anyone who finds the DT48 too honest for them send them my way
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #1,278 of 4,308
Thanks a lot Mobbadict to point me towards that post. I hadn't seen it. They really seem interesting, at least well worth checking out. I think they can be had for $200 from Play Japan, which don't seem to be a bad price.

Give me a few days to sell some stuff, and I will probably order a pair. I would love to make a serious comparison between those CD900ST and the DT48, before going for the T1...

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #1,279 of 4,308
That will be really interesting: studio like, more weight in the bass, nice mids and a little rolled off highs (a darker DT48?). The only issue is the even narrower soundstage but, if it's for bettering the image and focus, that would be welcome.

(Just looking for a low impedance headphone to pair with the output of my -neutral, but slightly bright- Mytek).

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #1,280 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by franatium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think part of the DT48 resolving power owes itself to the the cast steel closed cups which I think give the music a very dark background which certainly shows up the much decried 701 lower treble spike.

I certainly want to buy my own DT48 and hear more of the various versions, especially the newer DT48E maybe even DT48A. From all the whining about how the bass is so anemic and they were so harsh sounding which painted a picture of a headphone for occasional use at best but to me they just sound like pure music flowing into my ears and I would use them daily, so I suppose I may be the newest addition to the DT48 fanatic club.

So anyone who finds the DT48 too honest for them send them my way
biggrin.gif

Bass is anemic compared to bass heavy headphones.. The DT48a is bass anemic though, not the E version!! Harsh? Maybe people with um 'sensitive ears.' They are no bright, neutral, & no treble emphasis.. How is this harsh? They are not smoother then my planar headphone or DT880, but harsh is extreme.. & since 10/08 I been listening to the DT48 for 90% of the time.. So, yes, they are everyday headphones..

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #1,281 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by vermellfort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That will be really interesting: studio like, more weight in the bass, nice mids and a little rolled off highs (a darker DT48?). The only issue is the even narrower soundstage but, if it's for bettering the image and focus, that would be welcome.

(Just looking for a low impedance headphone to pair with the output of my -neutral, but slightly bright- Mytek).

The DT48a also has a extremely narrow sound stage.. Stock cable.. Still confused how a headphone with such a small sound stage could have such amazing separation & coherent placement of the instruments.. The CD900ST!! Maybe even better!!
atsmile.gif
regular_smile .gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #1,282 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot Mobbadict to point me towards that post. I hadn't seen it. They really seem interesting, at least well worth checking out. I think they can be had for $200 from Play Japan, which don't seem to be a bad price.

Give me a few days to sell some stuff, and I will probably order a pair. I would love to make a serious comparison between those CD900ST and the DT48, before going for the T1...

I will help you. How much for the DT48s in us dollars? Already sent you a PM. And yes, If I get some cash the T1 are mine. I want the pinnacle of Beyer engineering. I need to compare Beyers first flag ship headphone to their latest.

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #1,283 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will help you. How much for the DT48s in us dollars? Already sent you a PM. And yes, If I get some cash the T1 are mine. I want the pinnacle of Beyer engineering. I need to compare Beyers first flag ship headphone to their latest.

Got it and answered
wink.gif
Thanks for your help
tongue.gif

I will probably wait for a few months before going for the T1, when most reviewer have spent sufficiant time with them. The long term impressions are the most valuable to me especially for a HP of this price. And the DT48E are still terribly convincing.

I let you know when I order my pair of CD900ST
smile.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #1,284 of 4,308
Yes at least someone here will have the CD900
tongue_smile.gif

And if you happen to sell them for any reason please let me know, i might be interested. I hesitated for a long time between it and Staxes but figured out speed would be most important to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

But the Sony might be great for portable use. I could have joined the DT48 club if they didn't need any amp.

Dec 15, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #1,285 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes at least someone here will have the CD900
tongue_smile.gif

And if you happen to sell them for any reason please let me know, i might be interested. I hesitated for a long time between it and Staxes but figured out speed would be most important to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

But the Sony might be great for portable use. I could have joined the DT48 club if they didn't need any amp.

Sooner than later indeed
very_evil_smiley.gif
I already placed the order, couldn't resist.

But I trully hope they are NOT great for portable use, if they are as revealing as the DT48E... To me, it makes little sense to have such accurate monitoring HP for portable use, since they should only show you the limitation of the hardware...
redface.gif

The SR-003 must be very hard to beat for portable use
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #1,286 of 4,308
Haha you're right actually most people seem to find them too revealing with average sources
evil_smiley.gif

The SR-003 sound very good even with MP3 but i've realized lately how the source quality seems to impact soundstage with certain headphones. Or maybe it's the cable i'm using that's crap (looks like it's 30 years old), i need to check that...

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #1,287 of 4,308
Finally found a used DT48 on ebay within my price range. I've been wanting to try a pair for so long, but wasn't willing to spend over $300+ for the opportunity to try and perhaps not like them. Since I cancelled my Amazon order for the $99 Triple Fi 10s in order to buy them, here's hoping they are as fascinating to me as some others who own them here on Head-Fi.
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #1,288 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally found a used DT48 on ebay within my price range. I've been wanting to try a pair for so long, but wasn't willing to spend over $300+ for the opportunity to try and perhaps not like them. Since I cancelled my Amazon order for the $99 Triple Fi 10s in order to buy them, here's hoping they are as fascinating to me as some others who own them here on Head-Fi.
biggrin.gif

Can't say.. But I will soon have 6.. All various models.. Would kill for the original 1937 DT48..

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #1,290 of 4,308
Guys, just get new pair of DT48E from my local store yesterday and they are amazing! Compared them to Sennheiser HD380Pro, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, German Maestro 8.300 (which are renamed MBQuart QP805HS), and these were obviously the best! Thanks to that thread, I know about them.
Have a couple of questions though. First, do you know, which size velour embouchures would fit them, cause I got my ears laid down every time I wear them. And second, do you know, if the bass increase with burn in? Hope so.
Thanks to your answers.

And please forgive my english, which is sometimes poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back