The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Jul 16, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #1,201 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had more time to listen to the DT48a...definitely genre specific phones. You can definitely forget about rock music..they are the anti-grados in that regard. Jenny Lewis sounds wonderful with these, as I'm sure many other female vocals will as well. The mids are definitely the clearest I've ever heard, very organic and lifelike, while the rolled off treble is something I'm learning to deal with. While soundstage is small, seperation of instruments is amazing, probably even better than the K501

Funny about the anti Grado remark.. When I first got my DT48A, I said the same thing.. They are about as lively as a corpse musically, but have a magic about them with certain genres that make you keep coming back.. Try various amp/source combo's.. They can literally sound like 20.00 ear buds if the source calls for it.. I bought a new CD yesterday.. Trash. Alice Cooper. Only 4.00 new. Sounded nice on my mothers cheap PC speakers.. Took the CD home & played it.. Very bright, muffled & congested.. Played another track.. A bit better, but still lacking.. Then I start to question myself, & think, maybe the detractors are right.. They are no good.. Then, I put in Fleetwood Macs greatest hits.. Bam, instant bliss.. The transducers are really geared towards acoustics, un amped & instruments & vocals.. Try a SACD with heavy acoustics..

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #1,202 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The holes in the screw are round, and this key looks square.
The hole point is not to damage the screw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I was wondering about that too. Still, they are being sold as fitting for these type of screws.
Anyway, I think I'll replace the screw with another type to make access in the future a bit easier.

Yup, you're both right. It's the right one for this screw but it will damage the holes of the screw head very slightly. I couldn't really care though, because obviously a previous owner had already done the same thing to mine. But if you want to keep 'em absolutely pristine...
I find it curious that Beyerdynamic would use such an uncommon screw type. After all, since it will be used in the studio or in the field you can basically trust that it will need a recable at some point.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #1,203 of 4,308
The are flat and fast, they would be good for things that are mixed well and not mixed for radio/crappy car speakers (or mixed for mp3s... uck).

Acix, also try modding the opening between the driver and the ear, change in hole size and position will effect the highs and can really change the phones (having the holes closer to the edge or center can change things up, and opening them up can bring in more highs, just make sure what you place there is dense enough that it will actually reflect/absorb some waves). A large back can make the bass appear more extended, but many times it tends to just add a boost to the already present ones (which is ok if you want to boost the bass, but could throw off the flatness). Finally stuffing the back the right amount (when there is a gap in there) can lower the resonant pitch for the back.

Can't wait for more pictures and results!

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #1,204 of 4,308
I did a simple mod to get more body to the bass below 80hz.

The ingredients, pad foam from my old Sennheiser eh 2270, and some nice felt.
3734682560_a6171a6927_o.jpg

Stacking the felt in the empty canals around the driver.
3733884057_b5b111c600_o.jpg

First the Senn foam, also keeps the felt hairs from going into the driver.
3733884129_d0cce691a9_o.jpg

The last step in this simple mod is the felt on the foam.
3733884213_960e5ebd46_o.jpg

Fast mod and effective, the cold low mids warm up nicely, and I even can feel some air in the sub area moving around the 20hz.

FourierMakesFunk, you're basically right, but before I start to drill the holes I want to try to replace the cap that close the driver with some wood or plastic.

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #1,205 of 4,308
Basically your added a high frequency attenuator it looks like. But with the great transient response and a flat FR, a little warmer sounding never hurt no one.

Finally I will have the cash to get a pair, and then this year I'll rebuild everything but the drivers. I'll post it once I get around to it. Any votes for features people would like added? Anyone looking to sell a pair of A, E or S?

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #1,206 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by FourierMakesFunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically your added a high frequency attenuator it looks like. But with the great transient response and a flat FR, a little warmer sounding never hurt no one.

Finally I will have the cash to get a pair, and then this year I'll rebuild everything but the drivers. I'll post it once I get around to it. Any votes for features people would like added? Anyone looking to sell a pair of A, E or S?

wouldn't it be better to just get a tube amp for added warmth? Seems like a lot of work. I wish Beyers would create a open DT48 that was made for 'fun' first and for most.. But I'm sure there would be compromises made unless it sold for over 500, but less then a grand. I'm going to try SACD for the first time. I just won the Denon 2930ci for under 200. They retail for 849, so I can't really complain if the sound isn't 'great.' My receiver should have a solid analog section. Yamaha 1800. Plus, the 2930ci is known to have a good analog section. I just hope the 2930ci mates well with my DT48. I hear the player sides on neutral, so maybe that will be over kill?

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #1,207 of 4,308
They make open headphones for fun, they are rather popular too. A fun headphone designed from a flat FR field headphone is like trying to make the ATH-W1000 into a studio monitor.

Overly neutral?

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #1,210 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by juleha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are many stores in japan sell DT48 for about $417 same as Grado's SR325is price ($400).
kakaku.com - beyerdynamic DT 48 E/25

what is the best pair (between DT48 25ohm and SR325is 32ohm) for my iPod Touch 2nd gen without amp?

my current headphone is SR60 and i'm listening chillout/lounge music.
.thanks from newbie.

Easy. The 325i. The DT48 really under performs with PCDP & Ipods.. & they are 400 grams... Which is heavy by headphone standards..

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #1,212 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also buy the 325i used in the states.. 400 is way too much..

yes, sr325is overpriced here (not officially to sell in japan) and only few JP online stores sell it.
thanks for your advice.

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #1,214 of 4,308
can new pads be purchased for vintage DT48's?
I've seen a DT48, but the ears pads look pretty beat up.

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #1,215 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can new pads be purchased for vintage DT48's?
I've seen a DT48, but the ears pads look pretty beat up.

Yes, I'd just google it or check ebay & ebay uk.. The only thing that will need replacing is the pads & cable..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back