The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Jun 14, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #1,022 of 4,303
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amp did you pair it with... I am beginning to think amp synergy will play a very important role to enjoy those. If your amp is not plain transparent, the DT48E will simply show it effortlessly. I made some short comparison between the Lavry internal amp and the Rudistor NX-33 single ended (not really at its best since it is a lot better when used balanced). The differences are obvious, with the Rudi adding some softness and warmth to the sound, and at the same time, unprecision or lack of focus (bass is floppy and highs are definitely tuned down). Through the Lavry, they do shine and seem to be much faster, with increased resolution and control. Voices then really come alive. Again, I believe the Lavry internal amp is a trully magnificent amp to drive low impedance cans.

doesnt KBI power his with a PS3? did he ever get around to getting an amp?

Jun 14, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #1,023 of 4,303
PS3 as my CDP and Yamaha 1800 reciever..The Yamaha has a pretty good headout.. But am looking into the DAC1, or a seperate amp/DAC. My recable is first though.. Looking for a good bump in clarity and detail.. Everything little thing helps.. The V3.

Jun 14, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #1,024 of 4,303
Quote:

What amp did you pair it with... I am beginning to think amp synergy will play a very important role to enjoy those. If your amp is not plain transparent, the DT48E will simply show it effortlessly.

Headamp GS-1 and Glite with DPS, Gilmore design, as transparent as it gets. You can always check profile if don't see info in user's signature.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #1,027 of 4,303
Acix - a bit off topic, but nice new avatar!

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #1,028 of 4,303
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acix - a bit off topic, but nice new avatar!

Thanks Kukrisna.
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #1,029 of 4,303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headamp GS-1 and Glite with DPS, Gilmore design, as transparent as it gets. You can always check profile if don't see info in user's signature.

Indeed
icon10.gif
Then amping is not the issue. But we seem to agree highs might lack some sparkle, while still retaining good extension and definition.

Thanks for the advice. I never filled mine and never know if people do or not.

I'lll also try them straight from the iTouch, to see how much they change.

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #1,030 of 4,303
Quote:

But we seem to agree highs might lack some sparkle, while still retaining good extension and definition.

I can agree with this too. But, to revisit something that was also addressed earlier in the thread: is 'sparkle' realistic? Do instruments like cymbals, triangle, tubular bells or even acoustic guitar really have the kind of sparkle in real life that they get when heard through most headphones? It's been a while since my last (classical) concert, but from memory I don't think they do, or at least not to the extent that most headphones (and speakers) deliver.

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #1,031 of 4,303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can agree with this too. But, to revisit something that was also addressed earlier in the thread: is 'sparkle' realistic? Do instruments like cymbals, triangle, tubular bells or even acoustic guitar really have the kind of sparkle in real life that they get when heard through most headphones? It's been a while since my last (classical) concert, but from memory I don't think they do, or at least not to the extent that most headphones (and speakers) deliver.

absolutely correct

this goes back to the old point about natural vs. neutral

KBI likes the neutral and the detail

i, and perhaps you too drosera, like the natural

apparently...neutral is closer to that which the engineers 'intended'

though, with regard to classical music, i would say that natural is closer to that which the composer intended (you know...during the age before recording technology...)

i guess you could say i care more about the music and its emotional realism over neutrality, detail, and 'physical' realism

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #1,032 of 4,303
Not sure I got your point Kukrisna, but I would say it is actually a matter of realistic vs unrealisitc sound instead of natural vs neutral. And I very much agree with Drosera's last statement.

At least to my ears, Realistic sound can be achieved through the DT48E with properly mastered recordings.

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #1,033 of 4,303
Quote:

absolutely correct

this goes back to the old point about natural vs. neutral

KBI likes the neutral and the detail

i, and perhaps you too drosera, like the natural

I guess I enjoy both and enjoy being able to alternate between them. That said, I think it's one thing to describe as 'natural' for example an amplified lower range in headphones to compensate for the lack of physical lower range-impact of headphones vs speakers, but quite another to also describe a phenomenon as sparkle as 'natural', although you won't actually get to hear such a thing anywhere in real life (IMO). I certainly think sparkle is enjoyable (very much so, in fact), but at that point 'natural' can probably be better termed 'enjoyable'. (i.e. "not corresponding to reality, but I don't mind, because I like it that way")

Quote:

apparently...neutral is closer to that which the engineers 'intended'

I still haven't quite figured what engineers and producers 'intend' and whether that should be a concern for me.
smile.gif
For example, I see here in my Mozart symphony set (Prague Chamber Orchestra, Mackerras, Telarc) that they used B&W 801 speakers for monitoring. I'm sure these are pretty neutral speakers, but completely neutral? And did the production team intend the recording to sound good on those speakers, similarly (un)coloured speakers or more coloured equipment? I guess at this point it just turns into a guessing game.
icon10.gif

Quote:

though, with regard to classical music, i would say that natural is closer to that which the composer intended (you know...during the age before recording technology...)

i guess you could say i care more about the music and its emotional realism over neutrality, detail, and 'physical' realism

Ha, I certainly would be interested to know what the reaction would be if I plonked a pair of headphones on Beethoven's or Brahms' head (be it a DT48 or a HD600). I'm sure they'd be shocked.

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #1,034 of 4,303
Quote:

Not sure I got your point Kukrisna, but I would say it is actually a matter of realistic vs unrealisitc sound instead of natural vs neutral. And I very much agree with Drosera's last statement.

At least to my ears, Realistic sound can be achieved through the DT48E with properly mastered recordings.

I had to read through it couple of times too, but I think we actually all do agree on this point. It's just difficult to put it in words.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #1,035 of 4,303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You are right on this Drosera. Live concert hall experience seems almost trebley-muted compared to many head/home systems. I couldn't help but notice that even front row center seats at NY Philharmonic and Royal Philharmonic were not as bright as many systems I have heard...

It's OK to prefer this, and many feel it compensates for lack of the visual aspect of live concert-going, but it's food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back