The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Dec 17, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #4,097 of 4,303
They look like some of the latest models. Since they quit making them.

IDK....I thought the newer version has a single sided cable entry and a coiled cord, but I'm no expert here. This set also has those horrible floppy...flimsy...ear pads. I put some newer pads on top of those. Someone can perhaps tell the approximate age from the Beyerdynamic logo.

Dec 18, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #4,100 of 4,303
Which brings up the question of how do you adjust the distance of the magnet from the diaphragm? No one
at Beyer here or in Germany has been able to tell me how this is done. The distance must be somewhat critical
because it is always marked on each headphone. Usually with a magic marker or a pencil line,etc.
My point is that the marks are always done in a rather informal manner using whatever seems to be handy.
Nothing that is very exotic is used to make them which implies to me that they are made when setting up the
headphones for the first time. I have read that the distance between the magnet and the diaphragm is critical
and that it should not be changed from the factory setting, but nobody seems to know what this distance
affects. So can anyone enlighten me about this mystery?

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #4,101 of 4,303
IDK....I thought the newer version has a single sided cable entry and a coiled cord, but I'm no expert here. This set also has those horrible floppy...flimsy...ear pads. I put some newer pads on top of those. Someone can perhaps tell the approximate age from the Beyerdynamic logo.

Here's the original box with the insert. On the reverse side of the insert are the specs. It's clearly got a different logo than the newer version.
IMG_4036.JPG

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #4,102 of 4,303
So it’s not a 48E....

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #4,103 of 4,303
So it’s not a 48E....
From what I read, it seems some of the older DT 48e's omitted the 'e'. It's also got a flat straight cable, as opposed to a coiled, round one. I don't know if the cable helps date it. I'm noticing lots of details in some songs I've been listening to that I never noticed before. Very revealing midrange!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #4,105 of 4,303
You can try getting answer to that by filling this form https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/company/contact/contact-form/ Give them the serial number of your pair. It worked for me.
Thanks for the tip. I will certainly do that. I have five sets of DT-48's. (Would you say I am obsessed ?) Anyhow only one of them has a serial number.
It is a pair I bought from Gotham audio in New York when I was a teenager. As I am now 76 you can see that was a long time ago!
Did you perhaps get any information as to how to adjust the magnet in relation to the diaphragm? If you did, I would be grateful if you
could pass it along.

Dec 19, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #4,106 of 4,303
Dec 21, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #4,107 of 4,303
Hello everyone,
I'm thodo and this is my first post in this forum, after having been a long time reader, in particular of this thread. Thank you so much for sharing all your experiences amd thoughts. Back in 2012, this thread made me buy the DT48E-200 when it was still available new.
FFwd to 2017. Some weeks ago, I finally found a DT48A (pink/light blue) from an ENT doctor - for only 90€! After cleaning, I added new oval E ear pads and a new head pad. It looks like new now :)
If anyone is interested, I can share my experiences, audio equipment, etc.
thodo

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #4,108 of 4,303
Hello everyone,
I'm thodo and this is my first post in this forum, after having been a long time reader, in particular of this thread. Thank you so much for sharing all your experiences amd thoughts. Back in 2012, this thread made me buy the DT48E-200 when it was still available new.
FFwd to 2017. Some weeks ago, I finally found a DT48A (pink/light blue) from an ENT doctor - for only 90€! After cleaning, I added new oval E ear pads and a new head pad. It looks like new now :)
If anyone is interested, I can share my experiences, audio equipment, etc.
thodo
Please do share! And how the two models compare....to one another....and to other phones and/or speakers you've heard. I'm still having trouble adjusting to the very weak bass. They make my AKG 240DF sound like warm and full bass monsters in comparison.....and that's not normally how I'd describe the 240DF.

Dec 21, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #4,109 of 4,303
First some background:
After an High End jouney which in the end (around 2004) led to Dynaudio Confidence 3 and T+A Tube amplifier and Tube SACD Player (V10/D10). However, I couldn't really enjoy those, because the neighbors and especially my wife did not agree to the volume levels I liked, so this hobby fell asleep and the equipment was only collecting dust. [I owned this stereo system already BEFORE I had met my wife...] Then I remembered the other dust collector, the Stax Sigma Pro / SRM-T1 from ~1992, which I did enjoy for awhile, until I didn't even have time to listen to that. My interests had changed and I started my new hobby, i.e. digital photography, a whole other story and also time consuming. So, listening to music actually stopped completely after ~2006.

I stumbled over the DT48E in 2011 while reading about recording equipment, after having bought the DT1350. Then, I just wanted to know more, since these DT48s looked sooo oldschool! Searching further, I found HeadFi and this thread... It took me about a year to decide to actually buy the DT48E, I usually make my decisions very thoroughly.

Now in 2017, I still own the following devices, besides the stereo system mentioned above, in order of purchase:
DT770
Stax Sigma Pro / SRM-T1
DT1350
DT48E
DT150
OPPO HA-2se
DT48A
My source is an iPad connected to the HA-2se.

Some thoughts on the sound and comparisons will follow soon.

thodo

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #4,110 of 4,303
Been listening to old Billie Holiday recordings as well as Maria Callas singing Puccini tonight and comparing the DT48 to my HD580. They both are amazing with vocals, but with these two singers I think I prefer the DT48. At least how it portrays the voice. The DT48 comes closest in my memory to the sound of hearing a live opera performance. It just makes me feel like I'm actually there. The HD580 is wonderful on female vocals, but doesn't give me the feeling of actually being present at the performance as the DT48 does. But the HD580 is superior in other ways....the low end, for one...and you hear more subtle nuances in some vocals. And being open its got an advantage with sound stage. Just some thoughts while listening tonight. Maria Callas with the DT48....just so freaking lifelike! Tomorrow maybe I'll take a listen to Sinatra....and the Beatles. Listened to Paul McCartney singing "Yesterday" with the DT48, and I don't see how the HD 580 could beat that amazing sound, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back