The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Dec 8, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #3,917 of 4,308
Great share maniacal... some precious pads in them Kudeskis. Keep them the best you can as I don't think you can get them anymore. I wish I could grab a pair for myself 
frown.gif

Tech! Great vid and enjoyed it immensely. I can tell "you got it" with those DT48Es... hope you grab a pair of DT48As next time. It will be worth it.

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #3,918 of 4,308
There is a DT480 on Sale (from Germany) - http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/kopfhoerer-beyerdynamic-dt-480-sound-juwel-vintage-in-ovp/266956483-172-6426?ref=search

It has all the stuff you need and the guy is letting them go for just 75 Euros, I would get them in a heartbeat but the guy isn't shipping to my Country, I'll try my luck when I visit the Beyer factory in some months.

Okay, he is now shipping to India, so guys..please don't buy it :p

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #3,920 of 4,308
You didnt like them? Tell us what was wrong with them to your ears. There isnt much joy in any hobby thst can be easily bought off the shelves without the chase for improving them (not exactly right) but of playing a part in helping to fit the pieces of the big jigsaw puzzle, learning and sharing its secrets.

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #3,921 of 4,308
Just bought that DT480 from Germany, I think it may take some time to get here but that's fine. I can't believe how I managed to get one considering how RARE those guys are but I'm extremely happy about it.

It appears to be in good condition, I'll restore them the best I can when I get them. They come with all the paperwork and most importantly the Leather Box which is very reminiscent to the DT48's box from the 60s I think?
Has anyone here compared the DT48 to the DT480?

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #3,922 of 4,308
DT48 drivers in a DT100 frame?

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #3,923 of 4,308
DT48 drivers in a DT100 frame?

That's what's assumed, but they didn't sound like it. I had a pair for a bit and they were pretty forgettable. They didn't have much dimension to their sound but were slightly aggressive, I think. I honestly don't really remember how they sound because I barely used them before tossing them to the classifieds.

That said, I didn't like the DT48 either.

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #3,924 of 4,308
  Folks, any one spotted the DT48A in Vario Cup 2 on Ebay.de ? It seems the Vario Cup 2 is some kind of Peltor Ear defender. Very intersted in hearing this. Don´t have the money. SOmeone should try it, it seems quite nice. Don´t think you have to pay the whole amount though, buyer accepts Preisvorschlage.

The Vario Cups are indeed based on the Optac Vario Vol SD ear defenders, with DT48 drivers inside the ear defenders. Unfortunately it has a 5-pin DIN connector, which is only used on German audiometers. If it had regular 6.3 mm jacks it could have been more interesting.

That said, there's also an original DT48A audiometry-version on Ebay Germany:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-48-Kopfhorer-Headphones-HiFi-Raritat-5-Ohm-/301426098109

Does this headphone totally sound different from its studio counterpart, or is it just the impedance and ear cushions that differ ?

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #3,925 of 4,308

That's what's assumed, but they didn't sound like it. I had a pair for a bit and they were pretty forgettable. They didn't have much dimension to their sound but were slightly aggressive, I think. I honestly don't really remember how they sound because I barely used them before tossing them to the classifieds.

That said, I didn't like the DT48 either.

A wise decision, Sir!
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #3,926 of 4,308
My 23 month-old son had his first taste of Head-Fi today (at VERY low volume levels, of course!).

System:

iMac / iTunes / Audirvana Plus / Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Audio-gd NFB-1P / Nordost Blue Heaven / Audio-gd SA-31SE / DT48E (25 Ohm)

Albums (ALAC CD rips using a Plextor CD drive):

Norah Jones: Feels Like Home

Dorati Conducts Respighi: The Birds (from the recent Mercury boxed set)

I think he may be hooked....

My wife is a little concerned about having another audiophile in the family!

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #3,927 of 4,308
Something special happened 2 days ago, I was contemplating if I should share it or not but since this is our great DT48 family, why not.
2 days ago the man himself, KBI contacted me with an unexpected surprise. KBI watched my DT48 Technology and History video. He liked it enough to gift me his personal DT48A. I still can't believe it, its impossible to measure how much this means to me. I don't think I could ever pay back KBI in any way.

So, Michael..If you happen to read this. Thank You!

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #3,929 of 4,308

I just received Michael's (KBI's) secret gift and BOY has Michael sent me something priceless.
I'll talk about it more, first some initial STOCK pictures before I fully restored it.

SNr.40!

The driver says - "39" - 1939?

Drying the parts after I washed them.

Testing with what KBI sent me.

Burnt my finger while  installing the Amphenol KS3P.

Crosstalk was all over the place, took me some time to figure out the ground. Its all RAW Copper in there.

The only thing I did was add a KS3P and made it Stereo, Added a brand new set of EarPads which I lucky had, I also had the headband pad but I didn't install it because the headband frame is the Franken frame without bolts, also it looks more civilized like this.
KBI gifted me a priceless item, I'll never be able to pay him back in anyway. I honestly don't know if I deserve to have this. Out of all DT48 fans KBI chose me, that's one the the best things that has happened to me in my life. Thank you Michael!

Update - The cups are indeed Pink. That's one of the peculiarities, this makes this DT48A quite Rare.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #3,930 of 4,308
Nice Xmas gift! If you ever move to Europe you must bring those babies with you. Would love to have a listen. By the way... how do they sound?

Huge Karma points to KBI 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back