The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Dec 21, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #4,051 of 4,303

I just ordered these, and something intrigues me about them. This is the 25 ohm version, but instead of the full Beyerdynamic logo it just shows BEYER. I looked around some more, but was unable to find what exactly the model I have is.

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #4,052 of 4,303

I just ordered these, and something intrigues me about them. This is the 25 ohm version, but instead of the full Beyerdynamic logo it just shows BEYER. I looked around some more, but was unable to find what exactly the model I have is.

What you have is a DT48E with a 1960 DT48 side plates. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #4,054 of 4,303
So much has been written in those last 5 years ! It is wonderful to see that the passion for the DT48 remains alive !

I was about to put my DT48A for sale, when I realized that they have been discontinued by Beyer... Even though I barely use headphones now, I will surely keep mine for later days.

I am now in search of a all purpose closed monitor headphone which could replace the DT48A (if that is possible at all !) while being less picky with the amplification, and more gentle on my head (less clamping) for casual listening, while retaining enough resolution and speed. I have ordered some Audio-Technica MSR7 which have a frequency response somewhat similar to that of the DT48, both apparently tuned towards a Free Field response.

I am curious to see what recent technology development has to offer compared to a 75 years old design
smile.gif

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #4,055 of 4,303
  So much has been written in those last 5 years ! It is wonderful to see that the passion for the DT48 remains alive !

I was about to put my DT48A for sale, when I realized that they have been discontinued by Beyer... Even though I barely use headphones now, I will surely keep mine for later days.

I am now in search of a all purpose closed monitor headphone which could replace the DT48A (if that is possible at all !) while being less picky with the amplification, and more gentle on my head (less clamping) for casual listening, while retaining enough resolution and speed. I have ordered some Audio-Technica MSR7 which have a frequency response somewhat similar to that of the DT48, both apparently tuned towards a Free Field response.

I am curious to see what recent technology development has to offer compared to a 75 years old design
smile.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #4,056 of 4,303
tongue.gif

And we shall call the DT48 a killer headphone
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #4,057 of 4,303
So I finally decided to remove the dust on my DT48A
tongue.gif
and had a listen this week end. I am now using an Audio GD NFB-28 for convenience. I immediately felt home, with this speed, attack and dynamic that I really enjoyed. Details and soundstage imaging were really neat to me. However, I have also been surprised to notice some slight sibilances especially with female vocals on the DT48A. That is not something I remembered. It confirmed my suspicion that the DT48 can be very picky with amplification matching. I had trully great results, very musical, out of the Graham Slee Solo Ultralinear.

I am now looking for a good sounding all purpose headphone, for casual listening, be it either music (80%) or movies (20%). Obviously, the DT48 won't be suitable for this with its weak low end. I ordered the Audio Technica MSR7, but returned them after a month. A bit shouty, with what seemed a serious lack of dynamic to me, despite a good tonal balance. Not very enjoyeable. I have now the Nad viso hp50 home, which is much better, but still lacks some weight (meat) in its sound. It remembers me the electrostatic sound. Bass extension is trully fantastic, but has no weight to it. Sounstage is maybe too big and diffuse for me. Not sure it will convice me. And then I remembered that Beyer had an old but excellent sounding DT150 (a younger relative of the DT48) which just might do the trick for me. I will try to share some impressions when they are home...

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #4,058 of 4,303
So I finally decided to remove the dust on my DT48A :p and had a listen this week end. I am now using an Audio GD NFB-28 for convenience. I immediately felt home, with this speed, attack and dynamic that I really enjoyed. Details and soundstage imaging were really neat to me. However, I have also been surprised to notice some slight sibilances especially with female vocals on the DT48A. That is not something I remembered. It confirmed my suspicion that the DT48 can be very picky with amplification matching. I had trully great results, very musical, out of the Graham Slee Solo Ultralinear.

I am now looking for a good sounding all purpose headphone, for casual listening, be it either music (80%) or movies (20%). Obviously, the DT48 won't be suitable for this with its weak low end. I ordered the Audio Technica MSR7, but returned them after a month. A bit shouty, with what seemed a serious lack of dynamic to me, despite a good tonal balance. Not very enjoyeable. I have now the Nad viso hp50 home, which is much better, but still lacks some weight (meat) in its sound. It remembers me the electrostatic sound. Bass extension is trully fantastic, but has no weight to it. Sounstage is maybe too big and diffuse for me. Not sure it will convice me. And then I remembered that Beyer had an old but excellent sounding DT150 (a younger relative of the DT48) which just might do the trick for me. I will try to share some impressions when they are home...

DT 480's maybe?

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #4,062 of 4,303
While not exactly related to this thread, different headphone but same driver as the DT 48. I've been working on modding my recently acquired DT 480 - 25 ohm. I let family members and friends listen to them compared to the DT 1990 and the Amiron Homes on a variety of songs. Their impressions were that the DT 480 were on a completely different level and they were hearing things they didn't hear on the other headphones. The other two headphones were liked but when they listened to the DT 480 last they were taken aback as the sound was so different yet so good. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #4,063 of 4,303
I too have modded my DT 480 and i now prefer it to DT 48. Ordered pair of DT 150 earpads, put some felt and sorbothane damping inside earcups. Also cutted some felt around front grill and made 5mm long papertubes to make sound more directional. Transient response is now insanely natural and bass kicks harder. Sound is so smooth and detailed. Much better than DT 48 or Nighthawk. I can´t believe what i´m hearing. DT 150 earpads are a must, because original ones are so flat that they squash my ears and also don´t fit properly so they leak. Maybe some of us should create DT 480 appreciation thread.

DT 48 can be seen on 0:30 and 0:48

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #4,064 of 4,303
  I too have modded my DT 480 and i now prefer it to DT 48. Ordered pair of DT 150 earpads, put some felt and sorbothane damping inside earcups. Also cutted some felt around front grill and made 5mm long papertubes to make sound more directional. Transient response is now insanely natural and bass kicks harder. Sound is so smooth and detailed. Much better than DT 48 or Nighthawk. I can´t believe what i´m hearing. DT 150 earpads are a must, because original ones are so flat that they squash my ears and also don´t fit properly so they leak. Maybe some of us should create DT 480 appreciation thread.

DT 48 can be seen on 0:30 and 0:48

Is it possible to provide pics. I have difficulty picturing the paper tubes (we all have different learning styles); Yeah you could make a thread and put detailed mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back