The Beta22/Sigma22 amp has arrived Review added!
Oct 10, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #17 of 82
what type of pot/attenuator does it sport?  

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #18 of 82
Quote:Originally Posted by kboe 

"Ok... Umm... The headphones are not plugged up... Why?"

I had to unplug the headphones to turn off the amp. I turned off the amp because the blue LEDs were making any usable picture difficult. It's on now and the HD800 is plugged in.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm watching both the Phillies and Eagles so music will have to wait. I have my priorities.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #19 of 82

Confused, why would you have to unplug the headphones to turn off the amp?

NOTE: Do NOT unplug the headphones while the amp is ON, this is a good way to blow the output mosfets.
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by kboe 

"Ok... Umm... The headphones are not plugged up... Why?"

I had to unplug the headphones to turn off the amp. I turned off the amp because the blue LEDs were making any usable picture difficult. It's on now and the HD800 is plugged in.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm watching both the Phillies and Eagles so music will have to wait. I have my priorities.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #20 of 82
Quote:Originally Posted by m1abrams 

"Confused, why would you have to unplug the headphones to turn off the amp?
NOTE: Do NOT unplug the headphones while the amp is ON, this is a good way to blow the output mosfets."

I had the volume turned all the way down and no music playing. If that's wrong, then I'll turn it off first. I didn't want to blow the HD800 either.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #21 of 82
Looks like you made the right call by watching the game first, buddy.  And again, we flubbed our line.  It's more acceptable if the game is close, the timing favors the other team, and you can't do anything about it.  But if you have possession in the last four minutes or so, and you can't close it out, that's a problem.  We were in a even better situation this week, under two minutes, the opposition is **** bricks (Kolb on the sideline), time for a nice and composed two minute drive.  Instead, we had a very meek and timid drive, which did nothing to enhance Alex Smith's reputation.  To be perfectly honest, at 30 seconds to go, I would have taken a field goal.
tongue.gif
  Anyway, congratulations on the win and the amp.  Looks awfully powerful.

Oct 11, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #22 of 82
congrats on the pick up Ross!  

Oct 11, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #23 of 82
I think output MOSFET could get blown if unplugging phone while B22 is powered on. But in reality, I haven't heard anyone blowing their B22 yet. Turn pot down, and unplug/plug fast.  If B22 is that picky to operate, it would have manifested itself long time ago (especially at meets where ppl plug/unplug stuff all the time).

B22 with DACT >> B22 with Alps (noticeable improvement in transparency, IMO)

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by m1abrams 

"Confused, why would you have to unplug the headphones to turn off the amp?
NOTE: Do NOT unplug the headphones while the amp is ON, this is a good way to blow the output mosfets."

I had the volume turned all the way down and no music playing. If that's wrong, then I'll turn it off first. I didn't want to blow the HD800 either.

Oct 11, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #24 of 82
Quote:Originally Posted by chesebert 

"I think output MOSFET could get blown if unplugging phone while B22 is powered on. But in reality, I haven't heard anyone blowing their B22 yet. Turn pot down, and unplug/plug fast.  If B22 is that picky to operate, it would have manifested itself long time ago (especially at meets where ppl plug/unplug stuff all the time).
B22 with DACT >> B22 with Alps (noticeable improvement in transparency, IMO)"

All is still well. I will take more care from here on out. The attenuator is a 24 step with plastic "cogs". I'm not sure who's it is. The modular makeup of this amp should make additions/upgrades fairly easy I would believe.

Oct 11, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #25 of 82

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by chesebert 

"I think output MOSFET could get blown if unplugging phone while B22 is powered on. But in reality, I haven't heard anyone blowing their B22 yet. Turn pot down, and unplug/plug fast.  If B22 is that picky to operate, it would have manifested itself long time ago (especially at meets where ppl plug/unplug stuff all the time).
B22 with DACT >> B22 with Alps (noticeable improvement in transparency, IMO)"

All is still well. I will take more care from here on out. The attenuator is a 24 step with plastic "cogs". I'm not sure who's it is. The modular makeup of this amp should make additions/upgrades fairly easy I would believe.

just make sure the volume is turned down all the way.  

as long as you like the "feel"/steps of the attenuator and the amp is noiseless, you're set.  the B22 is a DC-coupled amp, meaning there are no capacitors "directly" in the signal path.  as long as the amp was built per spec, i doubt there would be any upgrades.  however, if you believe that resistors and wires make a difference...

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #27 of 82
Quote:Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis 

"I really wish I could have had a fully balanced b22 with high gain for the k1k's "

Hey Ricky! I didn't really get electrocuted! LMAO!!! Thanks again.

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #28 of 82

Quote:
I think output MOSFET could get blown if unplugging phone while B22 is powered on. But in reality, I haven't heard anyone blowing their B22 yet. Turn pot down, and unplug/plug fast.  If B22 is that picky to operate, it would have manifested itself long time ago (especially at meets where ppl plug/unplug stuff all the time). 

There have been several blown B22 at meets reported in posts here at Head-fi. All were evidently caused by attendees jacking/unjacking TRS terminated headphones while the B22 volume was turned up and playing. It is a known defect of the TRS jack design and the B22 is proven to be vulnerable. Just don't jack/unjack with the volume up and music playing and the B22 will have no problems. Or better yet, convert to a 4 board balanced set up and have no worries. The XLR jack doesn't have the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back