the best sounding live albums you know
Apr 10, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #92 of 111
I'll just come in here and mention alive 2007 again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #94 of 111
I don't have many live albums, but my favorite has go to be The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Live from the Middle East. It sounds great, and it's filled with awesome songs.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #95 of 111
Saw this great thread needed reviving; these are specifically listed for their sound quality (and great musicianship) and as far as I can see have not been listed before:

Cream - Live 2005 Royal Albert Hall. Such a great, airy sound from the "best" power trio ever. Jack's bass is so good!
Clapton & Winwood - Madison Sq Gardens - just superb sound and musicianship
Gov't Mule - Live with a little help - Brilliant 4 cd sprawling set, just wow!
Gov't Mule - The Deepest End, another superb set.
Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's - Superb playing all round and a highlight being Imogen Heap guesting.
Crosby Stills & Nash - CSN 2012 - Lovely stuff! Great to hear the guys still rocking out!
Dave Matthews - Central Park - Just amazing sound and THE best ever version of Cortez The Killer with Warren Haynes on guitar (imho)
John Coltrane - Live at Birdland and Village Vanguard, Coltrane at his prime, IMO and great sound, capturing the events well (esp the VV sets)
Keith Jarrett - Whisper Not , just amazing, with a good set of cans and dac, you are completely immersed in the trio's interplay.

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #96 of 111
Can't believe no-one mentioned 

Deep Purple - Made in Japan and

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #97 of 111

I'm in Huntington Beach at a punk rock record store and find this for $1.

Get home slap it on the VPI and low and behold it is the best live recording I have ever heard. Jaw dropping good in the SQ department.

Also Jimmy Page's 180 gram redo-remaster-remix? of The Song Remains The Same ends up being a close second.

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #101 of 111
Another vote for electric Eric - "Just One Night".  A good listen, but I saw him around the time it was recorded and the live act was a little unexciting.

And somebody I sadly didn't 'get' until the very end... Roy Orbison, "Black and White Night"

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #103 of 111
  Apologies if somebody have already mentioned them but the DSD versions of Alison Krauss Live(2003) and Emilie-Claire Barlow Live in Tokyo(2014) are terrific sounding.

listening to that ECB now. Very good! Didn't know it before , thanks!! Those sticks on the first track really set the sound quality scene immediately! So much Jazz is superbly recorded. Some of the rock engineers should take note!

AK is the Union Station gig? Wonderful! Was listening to it in it's entirety on Saturday in fact :), as a person of taste, give that Lucinda Williams album a twirl if you don't know it. Some superb pieces on there. Slightly raw sound, but then it's supposed to have; and it's not in a bad way, I mean, it's still a superb sound. 

Another great live album for Blues lovers is the Live 70th Concert from John Mayall, loads of great guesting including Clapton

And in the female singer vein, try the Sarah McClachlin Mirror Ball. Wonderful album! Sound's amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back