the best sounding live albums you know
Feb 21, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #76 of 111
Laurie Anderson - Live at Town Hall NYC Sept 19-20 2001 - We were living in Queens when 9-11 happened, this recording is haunting just by knowing the head space the audience was in. Not to mention those few lines of O Superman... wow.

Neko Case - The Tigers Have Spoken - What an amazing set of pipes.

Slayer - Decade of Aggression - For me it punctuates some of there best work, or maybe just my teenage years.
tongue_smile.gif

Pink Floyd - Pulse - With original blinky light! (long past it's blinking prime)

Bob Dylan - Royal Albert Hall 1966 - Another powerful era-changing concert, and Bob at the top of his game. (has some audio problems if I recall)

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #77 of 111
Woodstock 99, there's a red CD with the heavier stuff (ie Metallica, Korn, Kid Rock...) and a blue CD (ie Jewel, Dave Matthews). I wouldn't say the SQ is exceptional but really a fun CD with lots of variety

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #78 of 111
Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps
Wilco - Kicking Television
Allman Brothers Band - Live At Filmore East
Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach (live tracks)
Kraftwerk - Minimum Maximum
Grateful Dead - Live Dead, Europe '72, Steal Your Face
Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
The Who - Live At Leeds
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same, How The West Was Won
Queen - Live Killers
Cheap Trick - Cheap Trick at Budokan
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus
Suicide - 23 Minutes Over Brussels (this is pretty poor SQ, but a legendary recording)

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #79 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere, absolutely the best recorded Live album IMO. The mix on the drums are just spot on. DVD only though, but you can find the concert online on mp3.

Absolutely the best sound. Even better than Pink Floyd - Pulse DVD

Did you notice there's no center channel in the DTS mix? not all the time at least.

You can buy the Arriving Somewhere DVD soundtrack in FLAC format at the PT shop Porcupine Tree

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #80 of 111
Live rock albums sound pretty bad as a rule. I have noticed lots of bad sounding suggestions so far with a few exceptions.
John Mayall-The Turning Point
Duke Ellington-Ellington At Newport 1956
Bill Evans Trio-Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Bill Evans Trio-Waltz for Debby
Thelonious Monk-Big Band & Quartet in Concert

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #83 of 111
I just got a pretty kick ass live album today for $8.00 courtesy of Circuit City's liquidation sale! David Gilmour Live in Gdansk. He Performs a number of PF tracks including, Speak to me/Breathe, Time, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Echoes, Wish you were here, Comfortably Numb.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it on my homes system yet, but it sounded great in my car... always hard to tell that way though. Great music nonetheless.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #84 of 111
Listening to Dire straits Alchemy... Quite amazing with the AKG 701s. Talk about live feeling. It sounds a bit weird but well live recordings are live recordings and AKG 701 is AKG 701
tongue.gif
... May just be the AKG 701s too that does that of course... the soundstage is just huuuuuge.

applauds and whistles from waaaay back
smily_headphones1.gif
... wonder if they used a binaural mic recording this?

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #85 of 111
I've been gradually replacing many of my old Grateful Dead CDs with the Rhino remasters (well, in some cases I'm hanging on to the old discs too), and finally got the 2004 reissue of Dozin' at the Knick. I listened to it in HDCD yesterday with my Grados, and have to say that Gastwirt did a swell job with this recording. I also think that Reckoning sounds better on the Rhino reissue than on the old CD.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #86 of 111
Thelonious Monk--Live at the It Club
Bill Evans--Live at the Village Vanguard
Ella Fitzgerald--Ella in Rome
Patricia Barber--a Fortnight in France
Miles and Coltrane--Carnegie Hall
Miles--Fri and Sat nite at the Blackhawk

Jazz anyone???

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #87 of 111
By far the best sounding live album I've heard:
Dave Matthews Band - Live Trax vol 6 - Live at Fenway Park, Boston MA

51tCidRhtPL._SS500_.jpg

I've never heard a live album that had better mic'ed (and recorded) drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back