The Best Passive Isolating Universal IEMs thread
Aug 27, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #61 of 68
I just stumbled across this thread. Does anyone have any recommendations for an IEM with very good isolation which has a bright sound signature but decent bass? I have already tried the Etymotic series. Thank you.

Perhaps Westone MACH 10 (not the other ones) might be the one you are looking for.

Sep 6, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #63 of 68
so I got the tipsy ttrmso today and they isolate very well and the bass is really prominent too, I like them.
They go a little deep in the ear though, not as much as etys but more than most other iems so they might not be very comfy for long periods, will need to check that.

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #65 of 68
so I got the tipsy ttrmso today and they isolate very well and the bass is really prominent too, I like them.
They go a little deep in the ear though, not as much as etys but more than most other iems so they might not be very comfy for long periods, will need to check that.
Any issues with driver flex or pressure?
How does its isolation compare to others?

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #67 of 68
Any issues with driver flex or pressure?
How does its isolation compare to others?
so they actually do have a vent, but the isolation is really good, I hear nothing in the office when I'm with them.
No driver flex, never heard it on other non vented IEMs I had either.
Really pleased with the sound of these, it's not the clearest but the bass is great and its not sibilant at all so I can listen to for hours without a problem.
It's really exactly what I was looking for.

"Upgraded" the Ety foam tips with Comply ones. These fit better, they go deeper much easier, but isolation is same or slightly worse.

Pretty happy with the setup. I use these at work where radio is playing and other noise.
They have only 1 BA, don't they sound weird?

Jul 8, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #68 of 68
Started my journey to IEMs with Etymotics c. 20 years ago. Have gone through dozens and dozens of IEMs since and have a huge collection of (mostly sucky) tips of all sorts of shape/dimensions/materials in my cupboard.

My take:

The absolute two best tips for isolation (most amount of dB damping AND widest frequency dampening) are:

Comply audio Professional P-series Foam Ear -tips
https://www.complyfoam.com/products/professional-p-series

Westone Audio Performance Foam Eeartips 14mm (longest)
https://www.westoneaudio.eu/collect...ance-foam-eartips-14mm?variant=41198102478980
Both are deep and wide enough and out of a dense enough material.

However, both of those limit you to IEMs nozzle/tip size of (tip inner bore hole) size of 2-3mm, so basically Westone/Shure IEM sized models (out of the Chinese makers these used to be models like AudioSense T260Pro, NiceHCK DT300 Pro <- not sure they are available anymore).

Of course, if you get a custom mold WITH additional foam tips, you might get same/similar isolation, but all current wide-nozzle IEMs are much worse in passive isolation compared to the above models. None of the silicone/rubber flange tips come even close (well maybe the original ETY if I used the thickest ones and inserted them so deep that they caused serious pain in my ear canal, which is not very practical).

None of the other tips come even close. Both above foam tips are deep inserting, very long and come in at least a few diameter sizes. The thicker models your ears can tolerate, the better isolation you will get.

The problem is finding modern good quality IEMs (sans the few Westone/Shure models, which have been mostly surpassed in performance/price ratio), that still have that magical 2-3 mm nozzle diameter.

Any suggestions for IEMs with 2-3mm nozzle size that are still available for sale (just checked, the basic and upper range AudioSense and NiceHCK models are not being sold anymore).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back