The Best Passive Isolating Universal IEMs thread
Nov 9, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #46 of 68
ISN D02:

Haven't heard the NM2+ but I can second the ISN D02.

The fit of the T2+ was great, but they were a little too small to give me optimum isolation, and somehow they lost the midrange of guitars and horns. The ISN D02 just sound so much better. I have no idea why, given their shape and their venting, but I also get incredible isolation on the ISN D02 with foam tips (Comply T400 or AnjiRui knockoffs). The shells are relatively thick/bulky compared to the T2 Plus, but somehow they sit just right to block out all kinds of things--including sometimes my family calling me. They're just under $80 on 11/11.
The key is that the D02 has a tubed system, which is unique for a single DD design. Even though there are large vents, in order the air/sound to transfer from outside through the vent, it has to go through the whole DD apparatus before it can go through the tube, to your ear canal. That separate air chamber provides for a lot of isolation, but yes, you really need to use foam tips to maximize the isolation. As a bonus, the foam tips help prevent driver flex for me.

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #48 of 68
The best I’ve found for me are IEMs with narrow nozzles, that can fit Shure tips, such as Etymotic and Westone. I use the triple flange Shure tips, but cut off the third flange. It makes them quite a bit more comfortable, helps them not suppress the highs as much, and isolates just about as well, subjectively, as Etymotics with their triple flange tips. This is the combo I use currently for drumming live (in a fully enclosed cage/room...so VERY loud).

The absolute best isolation is by using the Shure multi flange tips, then directly placing Dekoni Bulletz Mercury 4.9mm tips over the stem/base of the Shure tips. It creates a multi-flange hybrid silicone and foam tip, and no modding is needed. I don’t use these tips for drumming, b/c as loud as it is, these actually block out too much of the direct sound from the drums.
F3FD3DDE-42BC-407D-856A-0813F89C84C0.jpeg

...and on Etymotic IEMs
9D74E2B3-255D-43E7-9D79-CB3358897C93.jpeg

Just compress/roll the foam, insert, then ....no sound, until you press play.
Does the dekoni foam + double flange silicon trick work with ER2XR double flange?

Nov 4, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #50 of 68
Shure AONIC3 with its stock foam tips isolate pretty well in my opinion. Even better than with Comply
I can agree, all of the Shure's I've tried have been the best isolating IEM's that I've tried. Also, the Aonic 3 was my favourite from the range.

Nov 4, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #51 of 68
I don't think anything really compares to Etys. I have ER4XRs that I use with Comply P-Series tips and I can literally hear the blood pumping in my ears sometimes when I wear them. I recommend those tips for people with comfort issues. I was able to keep them in for an entire international flight across an ocean with minimal (but not zero) discomfort.

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #52 of 68
I don't think anything really compares to Etys. I have ER4XRs that I use with Comply P-Series tips and I can literally hear the blood pumping in my ears sometimes when I wear them. I recommend those tips for people with comfort issues. I was able to keep them in for an entire international flight across an ocean with minimal (but not zero) discomfort.
I'm not sure if the EVO isolate any better than the normal ER4 series, I've never been in a situation to actually test this, but they are surprisingly much more comfortable than the ER4. I can actually lay down with them if I wanted to.

Nov 5, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #53 of 68
I'm not sure if the EVO isolate any better than the normal ER4 series, I've never been in a situation to actually test this, but they are surprisingly much more comfortable than the ER4. I can actually lay down with them if I wanted to.
Perhaps, unfortunately I don't think I'm able to wear the EVO because of the concha locked fit. I have a really sharp bend in my right ear canal that makes me need to fiddle around with the position of my etys in order to get a centered stereo image and I can't do that with the EVOs.

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #54 of 68
I just stumbled across this thread. Does anyone have any recommendations for an IEM with very good isolation which has a bright sound signature but decent bass? I have already tried the Etymotic series. Thank you.

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #55 of 68
I just stumbled across this thread. Does anyone have any recommendations for an IEM with very good isolation which has a bright sound signature but decent bass? I have already tried the Etymotic series. Thank you.

Maybe read about the Audiosense T800. It is a V shaped bright set, with around 30 dB passive isolation. it is an 8 knowles BA set, but has massive bass that sounds like a DD bass due to a vented subwoofer BA design (ie it moves air almost like a DD bass). Technicalities are quite good. Might be too bright if you are treble sensitive though.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #57 of 68
I'm looking for IEMs with good to excellent isolation as well. What options I have in 100-500$/€ price range?

Bought Moondrop Aria, but they let too much noise in through the vents (I believe).

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #59 of 68
I'm looking for IEMs with good to excellent isolation as well. What options I have in 100-500$/€ price range?

Bought Moondrop Aria, but they let too much noise in through the vents (I believe).

If you can tolerate the deep insertion of the bullet-style etymotic series, those downright have the best passive isolation in a non-custom IEM I have tried. Though not everyone can tolerate the fit.

Otherwise, shures and westones generally have good isolation, they are bean-shaped and very small in profile.

Most pure BA type IEMs are also generally not vented, and theoretically should have better isolation than DD containing IEMs (which are generally vented).

Aug 26, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #60 of 68
Yeah, for people who can't adjust to Etymotics, the negative profile concha-filling BA IEMs (similar in style to shure) seem to be the next best in my experience.

For a shallow nozzle design the IER-M9 isolates pretty well, though a step or two lower isolation than those other ones- IDK if the IER-M7 isolates as well, but AFAIK it's same design as M9 just with a plastic housing rather than magnesium (not sure if that makes a difference), might be worth a look in the $500 range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back