The Best Passive Isolating Universal IEMs thread
Aug 17, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #31 of 68
I'm interested in the ER2XR and I have a few questions I was wondering if anyone could answer:
  1. How does the level of isolation compare to the Mee Pinnacle PX, with or without triple flange tips?
  2. Do they protrude too far from the ear to be comfortable to wear underneath noise cancelling headphones?
  3. How low is the bass extension? If you use an app like Frequency Sound Generator on Android, what is the lowest you can hear below 30hz?
  4. How is the sense of impact from the sub bass?
  5. Anyone tried putting a foam tip or a hole punched foam earplug on the body of the unit behind the eartip? If it works this could be a good way to further increase isolation, but I'm not sure if it would be comfortable with the angle of insertion.

Aug 17, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #32 of 68
Haven't tried that model, but if u get it, I would definitely be interested in your opinions, especially on the sound quality and isolation.
Today the FiiO FA1 have reached me, it took a long time to reach Argentina due to the pandemic. These headphones are not only comfortable, the following are the most comfortable in-ear that I tested, the mouthpiece and the pad do not go as far into the ear canal, so they do not generate fatigue. They are much more comfortable than the FiiO F9 PRO. The Isolation is out of place, I feel that it isolates much better than the Sony Wh-1000xm3 that I had, because it isolates you from all the frequencies from the outside, I was literally listening to music at low volume and my mother calling me to eat next door and I was not listening. . I like the sound much more than the FiiO F9 PRO, the mids and highs WOW! An incredible detail, it doesn't have that much bass and I like that, they are so precise that you can hear the white noise from my notebook. They are very sensitive, easy to move. For the $ 85 it costs on amazon, it's a steal.
My only criticism is that they do not come with a cable with a microphone, but it is not bad, in fact it is better that it does not come with more than one cable so they cost cheaper.

Sep 3, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #33 of 68
Thoughts on IEMs with great isolation, but not treble-crazy?

I have the Moondrop SSRs to dip my toes into IEMs and they are great (for me) on detail, but the treble really gets harsh. The sound profile descriptions of the Tanchjim Oxygen sound like what I "think" I want, but of course I don't think you get good isolation, which is really important to me.

Looking for $300 and under if possible, used or new.

Sep 3, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #34 of 68
Thoughts on IEMs with great isolation, but not treble-crazy?

I have the Moondrop SSRs to dip my toes into IEMs and they are great (for me) on detail, but the treble really gets harsh. The sound profile descriptions of the Tanchjim Oxygen sound like what I "think" I want, but of course I don't think you get good isolation, which is really important to me.

Looking for $300 and under if possible, used or new.
WITH FOAM TIPS AND DEEP INSERTION: the Mangird Tea isolation is SUPERB, better than my CIEM, the Legacy 3 isolation is excellent, probably similar to my CIEM, and the FiiO FH3 isolation is very good. Best isolation I have gotten is from multi flange tips on Etymotic or Shure IEMs. The multi flange tips seem to isolate best throughout the frequency spectrum. The UIEMs with foam tips and my CIEM isolates the high frequencies notably better than low frequencies.

None of the IEMs I just mentioned have harsh upper midrange or treble frequencies IMO.

Sep 3, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #35 of 68
I've definitely been thinking of the Mangird. Good to hear you're getting good isolation with it. Do you prefer it to the Legacy 3?

WITH FOAM TIPS AND DEEP INSERTION: the Mangird Tea isolation is SUPERB, better than my CIEM, the Legacy 3 isolation is excellent, probably similar to my CIEM, and the FiiO FH3 isolation is very good. Best isolation I have gotten is from multi flange tips on Etymotic or Shure IEMs. The multi flange tips seem to isolate best throughout the frequency spectrum. The UIEMs with foam tips and my CIEM isolates the high frequencies notably better than low frequencies.

None of the IEMs I just mentioned have harsh upper midrange or treble frequencies IMO.

Sep 3, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #36 of 68
Do you prefer it to the Legacy 3?
Definitely yes, but they are also different. The L3 has a more “exciting” and fun sound, with more potent overall bass, but the sound is more colored. The timbral accuracy and coherence is not nearly as good as the Mangird’s, which is very natural sounding. The sub bass focus of the Mangird is also cleaner, and instrument separation and imaging is remarkably good on the Mangird....best of all my current IEMs.

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #37 of 68
With foam tips and a deeper insertion, the UM MEST UIEM also has great isolation. Somewhere between the L3 and the Mangird Tea I think.

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #38 of 68
The ISN D02 with foam ear tips is the best isolating single DD IEM that I have, other than the Etymotic ER2. The sound is phenomenal as well. It is my current favorite single DD IEM.

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #39 of 68
The ISN D02 with foam ear tips is the best isolating single DD IEM that I have, other than the Etymotic ER2. The sound is phenomenal as well. It is my current favorite single DD IEM.
Is the intro price still available? I think it's the only potential sub-$100 all-rounder king of the current crop that I haven't tried yet...

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #40 of 68
Is the intro price still available? I think it's the only potential sub-$100 all-rounder king of the current crop that I haven't tried yet...
Unfortunately no. That intro discount ended on Aug. 31st. I happen to think it’s still completely worth it, but there is sooo much great competition now, like from NF Audio.

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #41 of 68
Unfortunately no. That intro discount ended on Aug. 31st. I happen to think it’s still completely worth it, but there is sooo much great competition now, like from NF Audio.
What would you rate as its advantages over my current choice the T2+ (other than isolation)? If they're pretty close in most things then I'll probably just sit tight and wait for the NM2+ to arrive since it seems like the logical next step up from these $50ish IEMs I've been trying...

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #43 of 68
What would you rate as its advantages over my current choice the T2+ (other than isolation)? If they're pretty close in most things then I'll probably just sit tight and wait for the NM2+ to arrive since it seems like the logical next step up from these $50ish IEMs I've been trying...
Primary advantages are soundstage depth and imaging, including instrument separation. Sound texture is better on the D02. Detail retrieval is similar as is overall clarity. Treble sparkle and air/extension is better on the T2+.

I have never heard the NM2+, but I think I would just enjoy the T2+ and wait for the NM2+.

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #44 of 68
Primary advantages are soundstage depth and imaging, including instrument separation. Sound texture is better on the D02. Detail retrieval is similar as is overall clarity. Treble sparkle and air/extension is better on the T2+.

I have never heard the NM2+, but I think I would just enjoy the T2+ and wait for the NM2+.
Thanks very much for all your help.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #45 of 68
ISN D02:

Haven't heard the NM2+ but I can second the ISN D02.

The fit of the T2+ was great, but they were a little too small to give me optimum isolation, and somehow they lost the midrange of guitars and horns. The ISN D02 just sound so much better. I have no idea why, given their shape and their venting, but I also get incredible isolation on the ISN D02 with foam tips (Comply T400 or AnjiRui knockoffs). The shells are relatively thick/bulky compared to the T2 Plus, but somehow they sit just right to block out all kinds of things--including sometimes my family calling me. They're just under $80 on 11/11.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back