The best of the best...
Jul 13, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #16 of 21
Well I took a brief look at the specs for the DAC2 and a big difference is the DAC chip which uses a Burr Brown PCM 1792 instead of the Sabre 9018.  From what it seems, the 9018 chip seems to be technically the most superior chip out, but very hard to unlock its full potential.  I heard it requires very well designed circuitry and a very clean power supply.

Either way, that DAC202 should be overkill, which of course should make it the best especially it's what this thread is all about right?
wink_face.gif

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #18 of 21
I auditioned both, and bought the DAC202, which I thought was more holographic.  Having said that, I really don't think there is a "best" at this level.  It all comes down to personal preferences and requirements.  Since I am running exclusively Macs at home, it was also a no brainer to go with the DAC202, which has (outstanding) Firewire inputs.  To my knowledge, the Berkeley only has AES, SPDIF and TOSLINK inputs.   You'll need the Alpha USB (or an analogous product) if you want to utilize the USB out of your computer.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
weiss dac202 or berkeley alpha which one is superior ?

Quote:
I auditioned both, and bought the DAC202, which I thought was more holographic.  Having said that, I really don't think there is a "best" at this level.  It all comes down to personal preferences and requirements.  Since I am running exclusively Macs at home, it was also a no brainer to go with the DAC202, which has (outstanding) Firewire inputs.  To my knowledge, the Berkeley only has AES, SPDIF and TOSLINK inputs.   You'll need the Alpha USB (or an analogous product) if you want to utilize the USB out of your computer.

Agreed with takey2001, I used to own the Alpha and sold it after auditioned DAC202, doesn't means the Alpha is not good it's one of the best DAC I ever auditioned but in term of convenient for those who using Mac(as I am) DAC202 could do a better job via firewire port.

IMO the Alpha excels 202 on Layering and stage depth, DAC202 superiors the Alpha on clarity, neutral mid and musically presenting, but still they both are on the same league so it's up to your personal taste and system preferences.

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #20 of 21
DAC? Everyone knows turntables are better. :D I'd keep the Orbe/SME IV and get a high-end Koetsu with a Pass Labs Xono for the phonostage.

And I'm 100% with Mr. Cooter on an over-the-top amp. (Love those Eimacs!)

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
Well I took a brief look at the specs for the DAC2 and a big difference is the DAC chip which uses a Burr Brown PCM 1792 instead of the Sabre 9018.  From what it seems, the 9018 chip seems to be technically the most superior chip out, but very hard to unlock its full potential.  I heard it requires very well designed circuitry and a very clean power supply.

Mmm.. that's very arguable. You can indeed do great things with the 9018, but the WM8741 and AD1955 also offer a slightly different flavor (some might say more musical than the ESS). Anyway as far as SOTA, tthe DAC-202 is very good, but I don't see it beating an EMM DAC-2SE, MBL 1611F, etc.

Actually the new Meitner DAC would be an interesting challenger for the Weiss, it costs about the same and uses much of the same tech as the EMM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back