THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Jan 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #1,396 of 5,010
Quote:

Re' Melody Gardot, you might like Stacey Kent. Not exactly the same, but... well, just check her out and make up your own mind:

Also check out Rumer:

Re' Beth Gibbons, I don't have a specific suggestion for anyone similar, but, on the Portishead side of things, I highly recommend you take a listen to John Martyn's cover of 'Glorybox' - it's absolutely superb:

I used listen to Portishead, Morcheeba, and Massive Attack a lot, during my university days... memories... If you haven't heard Morcheeba or Massive Attack, you might find enough of their sound in common with Portishead's 'trip-hoppy' sound:

Hoover:

Axiom Funk (feat. Bootsy Collins):

Nightmares on Wax:

Re' Sarah Jaffe, you might try Julia Stone:

Laura Marling:

Amy Mann:

Patti Rothberg:

and, although they are male artists, you might like Ray LaMontagne:

Damien Rice:

Paulo Nutini:

Ryan Adams:

David Gray:

And, of course, there's Lana Del Ray, though she seems to attract strongly polarised love/hate opinions from the listening public, so she may not be your cup of tea:

Or Paloma Faith:

If I think of any others, I'll let you know. To be honest, I didn't find it particularly easy coming up with suggestions for the 3 artists you mentioned, because all three of them have quite a unique sound.

An incredible eclectic mix of great music...Thank You!

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #1,398 of 5,010
Quote:

BTW, as good as Lana del Rey is...Natalie Lungley's cover is better, IMO.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of her. It's freaky  how much she sounds like Lana del Ray, isn't it..?!

Quote:

An incredible eclectic mix of great music...Thank You!

np; glad you liked some of them! I know they're a motley bunch of tracks, LOL

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #1,405 of 5,010
Quote:
Mython, revisiting "Trigger Hippie" just made my night! Ooh, can she purr...
beerchug.gif

Yeah, Skye Edwards does have a decent voice with a pleasantly unique style. Glad you enjoyed reminiscing with that track as much as me!

Here's another great Morcheeba cut from Jools Holland's 'Later', back in 1996...

beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #1,407 of 5,010
Quote:
Quote:
Mython, revisiting "Trigger Hippie" just made my night! Ooh, can she purr...
beerchug.gif

Yeah, Skye Edwards does have a decent voice with a pleasantly unique style. Glad you enjoyed reminiscing with that track as much as me!

Here's another great Morcheeba cut from Jools Holland's 'Later', back in 1996...

beerchug.gif

A BIG THANKS. Her voice and delivery is so soft and smooth, she could work the Suicide Prevention Hotline! (Note: to anyone who may have lost someone they loved in this manner, my comment is meant in a truly positive way.)

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #1,408 of 5,010
Quote:

A BIG THANKS. Her voice and delivery is so soft and smooth, she could work the Suicide Prevention Hotline! (Note: to anyone who may have lost someone they loved in this manner, my comment is meant in a truly positive way.)

Glad you like her!

For my part, I've enjoyed many of the recommendations in this thread, from other Head-fiers. In fact, truth be told, although it's not about equipment, I think this might just be the best thread on the whole of Head-fi! :)

Please note that Morcheeba have had several guest singers over the years, so do be aware of this if you're looking to buy any of their albums in order to hear Skye sing.

I'm not a geek-fan of Morcheeba so I don't know which of their albums do not feature Skye. I just have a couple of their albums, from back in the day, which do feature her ('Who Can You Trust' and 'Big Calm').

More info on the band here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morcheeba

All the best!

Oh, and if you like her in particularly 'soft & smooth' mode:

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #1,409 of 5,010

Users who are viewing this thread

Back