THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Jan 4, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #1,891 of 5,014
Part 5

I did want to take a moment and thank some of the people who have posted before.  I'm going through the whole thread again and making sure to listen to everything and so far I've picked up: Sorten Muld, Marissa Nadler, Eva Cassidy, and The Material.  Thanks to those who shared them, and I'm sure to pick up more before I finish.

I:Scintilla - starting off with something a bit harder today.  I've heard her live and a wonderful voice.  She also does a beautiful acoustic set (though the one I found is of low quality).

Aesma Daeva - This is what started my journey into symphonic metal before I even knew the genre existed.  Amazing range on her voice.

Lush - Shoegaze.  And still to me the best example of it.

Shana Falana - more shoegaze/dreampop

Thomas Bergersen - Not a female vocalist in and of himself, but the composer for Two Steps From Hell.  No idea who the female vocalists are in his work, but a powerful lovely sound.

Yoko Kanno featuring Origa - Composer that has done quite a bit of anime music.  The vocal performances by Origa are some of my favorite female performances, but I've never found anything else she has done.

And that's it for part 5.  Enjoy all

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #1,893 of 5,014
  Part 5

I did want to take a moment and thank some of the people who have posted before.  I'm going through the whole thread again and making sure to listen to everything and so far I've picked up: Sorten Muld, Marissa Nadler, Eva Cassidy, and The Material.  Thanks to those who shared them, and I'm sure to pick up more before I finish.

I:Scintilla - starting off with something a bit harder today.  I've heard her live and a wonderful voice.  She also does a beautiful acoustic set (though the one I found is of low quality).

Aesma Daeva - This is what started my journey into symphonic metal before I even knew the genre existed.  Amazing range on her voice.

Lush - Shoegaze.  And still to me the best example of it.

Shana Falana - more shoegaze/dreampop

Thomas Bergersen - Not a female vocalist in and of himself, but the composer for Two Steps From Hell.  No idea who the female vocalists are in his work, but a powerful lovely sound.

Yoko Kanno featuring Origa - Composer that has done quite a bit of anime music.  The vocal performances by Origa are some of my favorite female performances, but I've never found anything else she has done.

And that's it for part 5.  Enjoy all

Enjoying every single part! Your taste is very similar to mine ^_^

so awesome

DAT AUTOTUNE background is ruining her voice and this song imo...

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #1,894 of 5,014
And on to part 6

Again, thanks to those who posted before me, since last time I've picked up Mimi Parker, Paatos, Justine Suissa, Lhasa, Lia Ices, Emily Haines, Mira, and Kosheen.  Just about out of Christmas gift cards now so this thread is going to be more painful to my wallet than head-fi normally is sooner rather than later.

Unwoman - Nice voice accompanied by cello.  Also at least one of her CDs is pretty much available for whatever you want to pay at her bandcamp page.
http://unwoman.bandcamp.com/

Qntal - Medieval chamber music at a rave?  Can't say I've heard anything else like it.

Denali - rock?

Katriona Gilmore and Jamie Roberts - guitar backed rock/folk?  Mostly low quality live performances on Youtube, but they have a couple of CDs on Itunes at least.

Nitza - This is labeled world music in my collection.  Sure.  Jaw dropping live.

The Silk Demise - Smooth sound.  Again, not sure what to categorize this as.

And that is it for part 6.  Enjoy all

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,895 of 5,014
  Since it's New Year, and since she's recently released a new solo album, I feel justified in tipping my hat to the lovely Agnetha Fältskog, even though ABBA were mentioned 2 years ago.

I know it's a cliché, but seriously - I never grow tired of ABBA. I grew up during the 1970s and their melodies have never been matched in the world of popular music, and probably never will be. People who laugh at them do not realise the sheer quality of their pop music. Yes it's 'only pop', but it's pop at it's very best, so I make no apologies for knowing pretty much every word of every song they ever did
ksc75smile.gif

Here's Agnetha singing a song appropriate for the start of 2014 (but I can't believe this song is almost 34 yrs old, and I can remember when it was new!! LOL):

More Agnetha here:

Anni-Fred Lyngstad was also a talented singer, and here's a very old, pre-ABBA clip (FFW to 01:50):

and, singing with ABBA:

...and Agnetha & Frida taking turns with the vocals
smile.gif
:

There's loads more ABBA I could post, of course, but I deliberately chose the above songs because they have an emphasis on the individual vocals of each of the girls.

Anne Frida was largely the reason ABBA happened. She was the polished professional driving force put in place to take a haphazard folk band into the world pop venue. Once in a while the record execs get something right in the marketing arena.
Arguably. Her solo work post ABBA is of more significance musically then her actual tenure with the band.

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #1,896 of 5,014
  If I may recommend 3 outstanding albums with excellent singers:

1. Carmen Gomes Inc.''Thousand Shades of Blue''(only available as a 24/96 Studio Master download at the Sound Liaison website,http://www.soundliaison.com/

2.Sinne Eeg ''Waiting for Dawn'' (http://www.sinnemusic.com/)

3.Triosence f.t Sara Gazarek ''Where Time Stands Still''(http://www.triosence.com/en/shop/)

These 3 albums are also very well recorded,especially the Carmen Gomes album is getting very good reviews in the audiophile community,and I find that the well defined sound stage of that album makes for excellent HeadPhone music. 

Yes, the Carmen Gomes Album has been playing non stop on my HD800,this year,and both the other albums are great sounding albums.
So good to see this kind of quality appearing on the jazz/singer-songwriter scene.And none of these 3 top singers has the backing of a major label but belongs to small independent labels,which,amazingly, are able to better the majors on Sound Quality.

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,897 of 5,014
Part 7

Continuing my thanks for those who posted before.  I tried to resist the Wailin Jenny's for a while, but whoever posted one voice by them did me in.  I also grabbed the song Eliza Gilkyson in Andreas Vollenweider - Desert of rain though that was the only thing I got from the album.  I finished off with getting a CD from Toby Lightman, and one from Lenka (darn you whoever, I think those were in the same post :).

Lisa de Benedictis - Wonderful singer who was part of the Magnatune remix contest and is heavily remixed everywhere.  The passive aggressive mix of her Cuckoo song by Hisboyelroy is one of my favorites.

Laura Thomas - fun singer, and apparently not a single thing on Youtube from her that I can find so linking her CDbaby page.  The first two from this CD: Yellow Room, and Curtsy are two of my favorites from her.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/laurat

La Luz - rock/surf

Christina Novelli - Trance vocalist

Smoke Fairies - Captivating harmony of two singers.

Liv Moon - Japanese symphonic metal

And that's it for part 7.  Enjoy all.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,902 of 5,014
In a league of her own:  Karen Carpenter

Also good:
Ella Fitzgerald
Sade
Bjork
Siouxsie Sioux
Beth Gibbons
Alison Moyet
Shirley Manson
Tracey Thorn
Dido
Tracy Chapman
Kate Bush

Guilty pleasure:  Lilly Allen

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #1,904 of 5,014
Probably not the best female vocalist I've heard though she's certainly very good.

I think she does some of her own stuff and some covers. Honestly the utube video doesn't to her voice justice. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back