THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Apr 26, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #2,026 of 5,018
I dig her, she's got great voice and presence.  To me it isn't quite 80's flavor.  It's more funk-hipster.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2,028 of 5,018

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #2,030 of 5,018
I'm gonna go with Stevie Nicks and Loreena McKennitt, love them both.

Do you know how an average person like me can get in with the Illuminati?

Sure.

First, make a half-billion dollars.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #2,031 of 5,018

Norah Jones - She's 22 (Live on Letterman)

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #2,033 of 5,018
I'm gonna go with Stevie Nicks and Loreena McKennitt, love them both.
Sure.

First, make a half-billion dollars.

Nicks right. Now I know your stuff is high end. Only way you can make out what she's singing:wink: (sorry Stevie)

As for the Illuminatti well like all secret world controlling organizations they have a web site

http://joinilluminati.com/

Also going to have to put a 3rd vote in for Miss Li. Remarkable singer.

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2,034 of 5,018
  last video -- this is a song that randomly popped up on my Pandora, they lyrics of which I thought were hilariously odd. what is she talking about? (edit: I think she's making fun of a special education student. what the hell? it was a number 1 hit too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQKyGt_I5L4

lol

Actually, the special ed student commits a murder towards the end of the song.  I think women singing about women murdering people automatically guaranteed a number one hit in the 70s.

For instance...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpd5xb1iKS4

May 3, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #2,039 of 5,018
Member Mython suggested that I post this here, so here you go...  :wink:

The Steph Johnson Trio - "Nature Girl"

color]

Here is the first track from the "Nature Girl" CD...

This YouTube video and Music Downloads/CD purchases (via a $20 donation) are available on her web site at:

http://www.stephjohnsonband.com  (Note: Use a "desktop" browser in order to see all Links!)

Unfortunately, a physical CD of "Nature Girl" is not available through regular channels such as Amazon, etc.  If you'd like a "pressed" hard copy of her CD, you must go to her web site to "donate" or email her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IMPORTANT  (5/3/2014):  A few members here have notified me that they have emailed Steph Johnson and/or Donated $20 to her PayPal recently in order to receive a Physical Copy of her CD, but they have NOT received any Email response or CD in the mail.

FYI, I received an almost instant email reply from Steph Johnson on May 3rd when I inquired about it...

Unfortunately, she is facing some not yet diagnosed health issues, and that has impacted her response time due to the many doctor visits and exams, in addition to keeping up with gigging, volunteering, writing music, giving guitar/music lessons, life, etc.

THE GOOD NEWS!  Steph said that she just mailed out a BUNCH of recent CD orders this past FRIDAY (May 2nd), so those who recently ordered/donated to receive a CD should be receiving them within a week. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 (even though you may not have received an email response from her about your order/donation or the CD being mailed out to you).  She typically mails out CDs just Once a Week, usually every Friday, so that may account for the increased time to delivery.

She said to sincerely apologize to anyone who she did not get back to immediately, and said that she will double-check to see if any emails were overlooked.  She asked to PLEASE contact her directly via EMAIL at... stephjohnsonband AT gmail D O T com if you still have not received a response to your previous emails.  I asked that she keep checking her junk mail/spam folders, and you may want to as well (for her replies). Thanks for your patience ladies and gents!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To receive the "Nature Girl" CD, look in the "NEWS" section on her home page, then Click and read the section titled, "HELP STEPH RELEASE HER 3RD ALBUM!".  A "Donate" link is provided there.

DOWNLOADs:  Via Links on her home page, you can download files from CDbaby ($10.89 for 16/44 FLAC or 320k MP3) or from the iTunes store (AAC 256k).

If you Donate $20 (USD) using her PayPal link, Steph will mail you the physical CD (this pays for the CD & shipping).  That might seem like a lot of $, but Steph self-produced this CD out-of-pocket at an overall cost of $7,000!  I'd assume that $20 is what it takes just for her to cover her costs and to be able to afford a coffee.  :wink:

The CD comes cello-wrapped in a very nice/professionally-printed and glossy, hard-cover CD jacket/case with liner notes, etc.  It's not just a "burned CD-R" disc in a generic plastic jewel case!  Steph sends it to you directly, as well!  :)

Like most of us here, I own hundreds of reference LP's and CDs, (and of course many more downloads) and I can sincerely say that this is one of my absolute Top Ten Favorites irregardless of genre, so be assured, this CD is WELL WORTH the $20. 

And for the record, this isn't one of those CDs with just one or two outstanding tracks (where the rest are just mediocre "filler").  IMHO, every track is a gem, both her unique covers, and her originals.  I like it so much that I am actually considering sending a copy to John Franks to demo with the Hugo.  :wink:  The detail on the drum kit, cymbals, and acoustic double bass are exceptional.

If you enjoy female jazz vocals similar to Etta James, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Cassandra Wilson, Ella Fitzgerald, and the guitar work of Wes Montgomery, George Benson, etc, I urge you to give this CD a listen...and even if you don't love this genre, it is an awesome reference/demo disc that would be great to play at any HEAD-FI meet!

If you end up enjoying her music and the SQ of this disc, PLEASE, PLEASE share it with anyone & everyone who you think might be interested!  I have absolutely no vested interest here, but I am a former jazz drummer and saxophonist and honesty feel that Steph & the Trio are amazingly talented, and I would like to help another unknown artist "get the word out".  The music business is a tough one, especially for artists outside of the "popular music" genre.

Oh, if you are local to San Diego, CA (or even Los Angeles) Steph has several live performances each month that are listed on her web site.

---------------------------------------------

Morley - Undivided / Seen / Days Like These / Sun Machine 

Listen to the entire "Undivided" album and purchase FLAC tracks at:

http://morley.bandcamp.com/album/undivided

All of Morley's albums are very well-produced, offering excellent sound quality, beautiful vocals and instrumentation.

Lissie - Live at Sheppard's Bush Empire

attachment.php

The Pretenders - The Isle of View (live/unplugged/acoustic)

color]

I just love Chrissie Hynde's voice, and this is a great recording all around.  :)  Of course, the CD is MUCH better SQ than this YT video!

Rachael Yamagata - Happenstance  

-------------------------------------------

Susie Suh (Self-Titled)

-------------------------------------------------------------

"House of the Rising Sun" (track) by Cyndee Peters (with Eric Bibb) - Opus 3 Records "Test CD 4 (Depth of Image - Timbre - Dynamics)" - Various Artists

The Opus 3 CD is an amazing sampler of true reference recordings, along with the Opus 3 "Showcase 2005" CD!  Highly Recommended.

Available at: http://www.opus3records.com/

---------------------------

One more artist that you may enjoy is Anaïs Mitchell on her 2010 "Hadestown" album.  It's a conceptual/folk opera album so YMMV, but all of the tracks are recorded extremely well with beautiful vocals and instrumentation. This album also features Ani DiFranco, Greg Brown, Justin Vernon (Bon Iver), The Haden Triplets, and many other excellent artists. It's best to listen to this album as a whole, in one sitting.  I guarantee that a lot of these tracks will get stuck in your head.  Check it out at http://hadestown.anaismitchell.com/hadestown/history.html and listen to samples/read reviews at Amazon. :wink:

----------------------------------------------

Other favorites of mine that have probably already been mentioned are:

Melody Gardot
Tracy Chapman
Carmen Gomes
"Sia" Fuller (of Zero 7 fame)
Sky Edwards (Morcheeba)
Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star)
Natalie Merchant
Margo Timmins (Cowboy Junkies)
Lhasa De Sela
Regina Spektor