the best dac for 2k
Jul 10, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #46 of 118
maybe one day:wink:
as for the bda1,i've read in a french magazine that the cyrus was better in the way of musicality and emotion
but the bda1 has very good features and has a more energic sound

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #47 of 118

Quote:

What I think would be interesting is audio reproduction that is colored in such a way to give an extremely "objective" and soulless but still NEUTRAL interpretation of all albums played through it.

IMO you have just perfectly described the house sound of Levinson equipment.

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #48 of 118
saw the digital link 23 at 699$ on audio advisor. 
nut now i'm more in audio gd. 
what's your favorites?

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #49 of 118
I prefer the Peachtree Nova over the Lavry DA11 and Benchmark DAC1 HDR (strongly prefer it over the latter). It's more resolving than the former and much less dry and clinical than the latter (while maintaining equal or better resolution). I also prefer it to the PSA Digital Link III as, surprise, I felt the DL3 sounded much too digital.

I can recommend the Wyred4Sound DAC as well as the Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC. The Nova is a good choice if you're also a speaker-lover.

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #50 of 118
hi thanks for those advices
the minimax looks good and use tube
about wyred4sound do you prefer the dac 1 or 2?
and are they good enough to compete with audio gd (re7)

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #51 of 118

Quote:
...... good enough to compete with audio gd (re7)

Ive listened to the W4S DAC2 versus the Audio-gd REF5 in a highly resolving high-end speaker system. Which one you will prefer will likely depend on your system and your preferences. I dont think anyone but you can decide that.

If you like a system that sounds very defined and encourages an analytical and detached listening style the W4S with its Sabre DAC with the sigma-delta processing is the go for you. This DAC and chip is in my experience ia a step up from older sigma-delta DA chipsets in the Lavry DA10/11 or Benchmark but its still resembles that style.

As for the Audio-gd REF5 - it produced a smoother, more natural to my ears, less dazzling but richer sound. Its imaging on speakers was much better. There was no hint of listening fatigue for me.

I own the REF5 so I have owner bias which you need to be aware of with the above comments.

Best to listen for yourself over weeks. Just take care not to be seduced by initial impressions.

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #52 of 118
i'll try to audition them. 
but the re7 are now my favorites. 
have you compared it with the isabellina?

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #53 of 118

Quote:
yococo96 said:
   ........compared it with the isabellina?

I have heard the Red Wine Isabellina versus the Audio-GD RE5 in a moderately resolving speaker system (Dynaudio Focus 220). I enjoyed the RE5 much more. It was clearer from memory with better detail retrieval in an engaging way. The difference was substantial for me on that day so the RWA had little air time Again best to listen for yourself in your system but I know that can be hard so I hope my recollections are of some help. The RE5 has been only beaten by a superb PCM 1704 chipset DAC that was modified and highly upgraded by a professional audio designer to give everything the RE5 did well plus a more articulate portrayl, but that was in the designers system so would it translate to others? I would like to hear a RE7 myself.

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #54 of 118
hi

thanks

your posts helped me a lot

now i think i'll go for re7.....or the brick:wink:....

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #55 of 118
Hello Everyone,

I am here with a devil on your shoulder.

What about a dB audio Tranquility or Audio Mirror Tubadour ? Both promise performance beyond anything mentioned before. They are what I am considering as a DAC upgrade.

Thanks,
Sam-fi

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #56 of 118

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I am here with a devil on your shoulder.

What about a dB audio Tranquility or Audio Mirror Tubadour ? Both promise performance beyond anything mentioned before. They are what I am considering as a DAC upgrade.

Thanks,
Sam-fi

devil on my shoulder? you're the devil :wink: 
looking at it now. 
thanks

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #58 of 118
Clearly you need to buy all these DAC's to really find out what they are really like - we await your mega review with interest
L3000.gif

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #59 of 118
i will write one. 
but only three or four months after the first listen. I want to be sure of what I'm writing. 
the tubadour and the tranquility look so great. 
I'll maybe buy the pair. 
searching for review.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #60 of 118

Quote:
Clearly you need to buy all these DAC's to really find out what they are really like - we await your mega review with interest
L3000.gif

Ditto.  I heard the Tranquility for example along with some other very good dacs and found that a bigger difference was heard by all with a cable swap in the reference system than between the dacs on trial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back