The best closed headphones to use on a commute, for under $200?
Jan 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Melanter

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of closed back headphones to use on my way to work.  Some important things to mention:

-I take the subway/bus so it's VERY important that the headphones isolate outside noise and also aren't too loud for those around me.
-I will be using them with my iPod WITHOUT an amp.  I would also prefer if they didn't take batteries.
-I generally listen to classic rock (both the Led Zeppelin and Beatle variety), modern alternative rock (Black Keys, Chili Peppers etc.) and rap and hip-hop (mostly new stuff where it's important to hear the well produced track, a la Kanye).
-I'd like them to not look stupid.
-Preferably under $200.
-In terms of sound some adjectives that come to mind: immersive, rich, deep, clear, detailed.

Thanks!

Edit: after thinking it over I think that I prefer a fun sound to an analytical one. A sound where guitar riffs get you excited and rap beats make you bob your head.

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 25

Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of closed back headphones to use on my way to work.  Some important things to mention:
I take the subway/bus so it's VERY important that the headphones isolate outside noise and also aren't too loud for those around me.
I will be using them with my iPod WITHOUT an amp.  I would also prefer if they didn't take batteries.
I generally listen to classic rock (both the Led Zeppelin and Beatle variety), modern alternative rock (Black Keys, Chili Peppers etc.) and rap and hip-hop (mostly new stuff where it's important to hear the well produced track, a la Kanye).
I'd like them to not look stupid.
Preferably under $200.
In terms of sound some adjectives that come to mind: immersive, rich, deep, clear, detailed.
Thanks!

KRK KNS 6400
KRK KNS 8400

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 25
Do you want a neutral sounding headphone, or one that has extra bass? For neutral headphones, consider the Sony V6, and the Sennheiser HD280 pro, and especially the HD380 pro. If you want more bass, the Audio Techica ATH-M50 is very popular, as is the V moda Crossfade headphones. The Sony Zx700 isn't quite neutral like the V6, but isn't that far from it. Many love the Sennheiser HD25-1 mk2. The Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm is very popular. If you choose the 250 ohm one, then you need an amp. I guess the Ultrasone HFI-580 and 780 are worth considering. Do you have a Guitar Center or other store near you with high many quality headphones? You should try to listen to these, and see how comfortable they are on you.

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 25
I have some kns6400 in the FS forum if you want to try that model on the cheap :wink:. Otherwise the H25 does sound pretty darn nice if you can find a pair in your price range BTW I don't think they look stupid either :). But if you wear glasses they might hurt your ears as they do clamp quite a bit.

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 25
Thanks for the replies everyone!  After thinking it over I think that I prefer a fun sound to an analytical one. A sound where guitar riffs get you excited and rap beats make you bob your head.  Does that make you chance any of your recommendations? 

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
Do you want a neutral sounding headphone, or one that has extra bass? For neutral headphones, consider the Sony V6, and the Sennheiser HD280 pro, and especially the HD380 pro. If you want more bass, the Audio Techica ATH-M50 is very popular, as is the V moda Crossfade headphones. The Sony Zx700 isn't quite neutral like the V6, but isn't that far from it. Many love the Sennheiser HD25-1 mk2. The Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm is very popular. If you choose the 250 ohm one, then you need an amp. I guess the Ultrasone HFI-580 and 780 are worth considering. Do you have a Guitar Center or other store near you with high many quality headphones? You should try to listen to these, and see how comfortable they are on you.

I'd actually prefer a more coloured, fun headphone that makes the music more engaging and exciting.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #13 of 25
HD25 is still the one I would recommend then.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #14 of 25
HD25     +1

Quote:
The closed-back HD 25-1 IIs are purpose-designed, professional monitoring headphones offering high attenuation of background noise. Capable of handling very high sound pressure levels and of extremely robust construction, these headphones perform exceptionally well in high-noise environments, e.g. ENG, sound reinforcement, studio monitoring and audio equipment testing. The capsule is rotatable for one-ear listening. Ideal monitoring headphones for cameramen and DJs.

Features
  1. Very lightweight and comfortable, even if used for long periods
  2. High maximum sound pressure level
  3. 65 .nominal impedance for universal compatibility
  4. Tough, detachable steel cable
  5. Neodymium ferrous magnet systems and lightweight aluminium/copper voice
Delivery Includes
  1. 1 HD 25-1 II
  2. 1 Bag
  3. Soft ear pads (1 pair)
  4. 1 adaptor to ¼” (6.3 mm) stereo jack plug

Could always get Adidas Edition for the sporty trendy look if not the all black.

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #15 of 25
I'm reading that the 25 might sound a bit flat coming straight out of an iPod?  Is that true?  Are there headphones designed specifically to just come out of an iPod?

Also it seems like it's between the HD25's and the ATH-M50.  Could anyone compare and contrast those two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back