The Best audiophile tracks to test equipment
Dec 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #96 of 482
I think this is more a thread listing people's favorite music than it is music to test your stereo.

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #97 of 482
I think this works both ways. I am more into Jazz-fusion type of music. The Krall album, i use only to test timbre and vocal performance on an IEM. The title suggests thread listing of music to test your equipment. But I bet most of the songs here are also favorite tracks.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #98 of 482
You have to be careful with the auditioing choices. I used some favourite tracks to test equipment a while back, and now would prefer not to listen to those pieces. I still like them but got over-exposed. There is something to be said for a bunch of test tracks where is there no emotional contamination. On the other side picking tracks you respect but don't like (?) makes the auditioning more like work. I can see how professionals would have their "stuff I like" and "stuff that shows the mechanics" lists.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #100 of 482
I usually try several genres and songs I know really well
Never Alone - Barlow Girl
(Not that great as far as audiophile recording, but the amazing vocals with melody and harmony help me determine a "natural" sound)

Throne Room/End Credits - Star Wars New Hope Sound Track

Lucky - Jason Mraz

Frim Fram Sauce - Diana Krall

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #102 of 482
Others have mentioned many, but I have to nominate My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, in its whole. Shoegaze as a genre is made out of distorted guitars and vocals, and without good equipment it will mostly sound like a bunch of random noise. It's a good thing the album is recorded so well, and as a result it has risen to be the definitive Shoegaze album, standing unsurpassed to this day. All of the tracks in the album are good for testing, but if you are only looking for one try Only Shallow.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #103 of 482
- Tatrini- Devil's Trill Sonata

- J.S. Bach - Partita No.2 in D minor BWV 1004 - IV Giga

- Joe Satriani - Wind in the trees (live Sathurated) 

-Al Di Meola/Paco de Lucia/JOhn Maclauglin- Mediterranean sundance

-Don Ross- Wall of Glass

-Hans Zimmer/Lisa Gerrard- Now we are free.

-Hans Zimmer - God Particle

*All in Flac. I think these songs when played, give you a massive info on the depth,warmth and feel the equipment can produce.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #104 of 482
Been a while since I played that one.....nice pick.  :)

How about SPIES: Music of Espionage - Track 3 (Interlude)
It will blow your ears off...
basshead.gif

Quote:
Alan Parsons Project- I Robot- MFSL silver cd

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #105 of 482
I find this thread really helpful. My music collection has never been this diversified.

Just wanted to add:
Lee Ritenour's Smoke n' Mirrors album "Lovely Day" have great vocals.
Another album Stolen Moments have great drum sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back