the best audiophile card until 300$
Feb 3, 2008 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

maora

New Head-Fier
hi,
I am new in the stereo and i want to buy and audiophile card,
can you tell me in your opinion what is the best audiophile sound card for two channels until 300 $, i dont need to record,
I heard on EMU1212, ESI Juli, M-audiophile192, onkyo SE200
how is the best ?

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 13
I'd avoid the E-MU boards, due to their very finicky drivers (you can't use middleware software solutions, and have to passthrough to ASIO or similar, which can incur huge CPU loads)

personally I don't love ESI, because they're kind of like the cheaper, german rip off of M-Audio

as far as M-Audio goes, the Audiophile 192 is quite pricey, but is a good board, the Audiophile 2496 is also great (do you need 24/192? just wondering, if you do, the 192 is a better option)

and honestly, I'd have to give Creative a nod here too, in the form of the X-Fi Faltal1ty Champion and Elite Pro boards, I know a lot of head-fi'ers hate creative, but honestly their combination of driver stability, software/application support, processing power, and price is hard to ignore (consider that the Elite Pro uses the same DAC/ADC setup found on the E-MU 1616M, but also supports Creative ALChemy and DirectSound3D, in addition to EAX 5.0, in addition to being able to run applications like iTunes (or Creative's MediaSource) with no problem, and yeah, it has better SNR/THD figures than basically any M-Audio product)

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 13
I've used the M-Audio Delta 66 for awhile and think highly of it. Here's a link:

Buy M-Audio Delta 66 Digital Recording System online at Musician's Friend

I'm not familiar with the RME cards, but understand they're quite good, as well.

If you're looking for quality, limit yourself to the professional/studio cards. They're designed just for sound applications, not for mass-market consumer stuff.

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 13
Get an Emu0404 USB or Headroom Microdac. Both are dependable and great sounding.

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 13
Delta 66 isn't quite worth the cash, if the goal is stereo, mostly because the extra $$$ is just for more channels and digital I/O, the Delta 44 is the same thing w/o the digital, and the Audiophile 2496 is the same thing without a breakout box, and digital

they're all rather dated designs, but still solid performers

I've got to say I have an issue agreeing with a USB soundcard, or purchasing an E-MU for music listening/movies, based on the E-MU not having very good middleware support, and a general feel that USB isn't quite up to the task of audio (yeah I realize that being external you get less interference, but honestly, theres just too much latency/other issues that I have with using USB)

now, if you REALLY want an external audio card, checkout the M-Audio Firewire solutions

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 13
Feb 4, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not look for a nice external dac since you dont need to record? Wouldnt that be better use of your money? It seems like the other solutions provide you with alot of features you dont need. I would start here.

Pacific Valve & Electric Company - DAC

KECES DA-151, USB DAC never sounded so good on computer - eBay (item 160203350476 end time Feb-06-08 23:30:11 PST)

I hope you find what your looking for.

Dorito123
thank for your advice
can u give some example of DACs that dont need to connect to the computer ?
I heard the Zhaolu D2.5c DAC and I didn't love what I heard...
on the soundcrad did someone heard the onkyo SE-200 ? and able to compare
to the EMU1212,audiophile 192 and ASUS XONAR ?
thanks
maor

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 13
i have SE200, but i can't compare to the other SC you mentioned, i've only had Creative Audigy before Onkyo. SE200 give wider soundstage, more instrument separation, warmer sound, less boomy bass, and more deeper bass

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 13
I read a review recently that did many tests comparing the X-fi elite, Prelude, and Xonar. And while the Prelude had respectable SQ, the Xonar had noticeably better SQ than the prelude.

I'll try to find the article...

Btw, the test did not have any of M-audio's cards.

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 13
And how would any of them compare to a Pico, 2Move, or Predator, Ibasso etc?

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 13
My X-FI & Audigy 2 ZS against iBasso D1 & OMZ.
Not a chance to stand....
External DAC way better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back