The best AMP for my DT990s below $500
Jul 10, 2008 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Wilashort

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, how the title says. I want the best amp for my DT990 2005 Ed.
One that drive my DT990 to his maximun capabilities.
I am searching one that impoves the bass [give more extension and strenght in the low bass (deepest region) a little bit more midbass and slightly or a little bit more bass slam (upper bass)]; more mids (a little bit more air and detail), specially upper mids or rather and simply, an amp with forward mids; and one amp that tame slightly the highs in the 6-8 khz range and at the same time reduce the sibilance a little, or more (if it is possible) in the lower treble.
Technically i want a amp that give to my headphones more extension in both ways (bass and treble (but without added harshness/brightness)), more bass slam , Speed in general, forward mids (or slightly as minimun), transparency (sound more open), resolution (if it is possible, but not required), better image, Soundstage and headstage (specially Depth) and more volume (more voltage). Ah, and better separation in the effects, voices and instruments.
Is the Little Dot MKV the best alternative? (i have readed a little about them, so i don't known much about them) or is there better options?
All that compared with my Arietta.
I known that i am very picky (yes i am...), but is that i want.
P.S: I am not interested at all in tubes, but good references can work.

Thank you very much to all of you for your suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 13
Ok, you aren't a prick for that "suggestion". Yes, i have that consideration (i have some interests in another headphones too (with more aggresive presentations, but doesn't have all the characteristics that this headphone shares)).
But in this case, i want to improve my DT990s....
Cheers
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postal_Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to be a prick but it sound to me like you want different headphones.

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 13
If DIY is an option and ignoring your tubes are not an option remark
tongue.gif
The Millett max would be a good choice, The CKKIII does 85% of what you ask except the forward mids part. I think the Meier amps are generally considered warm/dark/musical so any number of amps from other manufacturers could accomplish a significantly different signature.

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 13
If the xmod in the photograph (linked in your sig) is your source - I would say that your money would actually be best spent on a DAC. Both the lack of speed and the harsh highs you mention are native faults in creative soundcards - as I realized when I upgraded from my X-fi to a component dac.

My amp yielded the greatest improvements in sound stage, separation, and bass response in my Beyers (880's) - but a lot of my music was still somewhat unpleasant/often fatiguing (particularly anything fast or with substantial trebles). The musicality of my setup came into place with the elimination of sibilance and the increased speed and capability that resulted from adding in a component DAC. I haven't heard the arietta, but I would presume you would greatly improve its current output by improving its input.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 13
Sorry, but i am not into DIY of amps (i prefer to buy them builded). In other hand, i don't like tubes, because they are cumbersome and hard to maintain/replace. Only i have *curiosity in some tube amps as Darkvoice 332, Little Dot MKIII, but is only that *.
Yes i have thinked about the different sound signatures of those amps vs meier's amps.
In other hand, i want a very musical amp (only slightly dark but with air in the high frecuencies).
Anyway, i will study your subggestions, thanks.
Quote:

If DIY is an option and ignoring your tubes are not an option remark
tongue.gif
The Millett max would be a good choice, The CKKIII does 85% of what you ask except the forward mids part. I think the Meier amps are generally considered warm/dark/musical so any number of amps from other manufacturers could accomplish a significantly different signature.

Yes, The XMOD is my only source.
The problem is that if i buy a USB dac, i couldn't use the XMOD Useful and fantastic characteristics that i love so much and i lost the x.1 native support which is indispensable for me, for watch movies and series/Anime in multichannel formats. At least that there is a headphone/line out -> Optical adapter that work, and bypass the internal Dac. Of that way, i could use the funtions of my Xmod but with a fuller sound overall (of the DAC). *Another solution would be buy the New X-FI xtrememusic USB soundcard, and use the optical out that it include, but i will forget this solution* for now.
Umm, you have the keces DA-131 DAC, yes i was interested in that DAC (a while ago), the problem is his size and weight (the shipping cost inflated the overall price a lot) and his price (i have to use a middleman). If it was the case, i will want a transportable (Much smaller (about the same size as my amp) DAC) Dac with about the same (or near (and only with little sacrificies (but not the most important))) performance as this, but for now, it is not the subject of this thread. However parallel suggestions are accepted, but isn't the priority of the topic.
i will take into account all what you said, specially in your last paragraph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the xmod in the photograph (linked in your sig) is your source - I would say that your money would actually be best spent on a DAC. Both the lack of speed and the harsh highs you mention are native faults in creative soundcards - as I realized when I upgraded from my X-fi to a component dac...

My amp yielded the greatest improvements in sound stage, separation, and bass response in my Beyers (880's) - but a lot of my music was still somewhat unpleasant/often fatiguing (particularly anything fast or with substantial trebles). The musicality of my setup came into place with the elimination of sibilance and the increased speed and capability that resulted from adding in a component DAC. I haven't heard the arietta, but I would presume you would greatly improve its current output by improving its input.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 13
You can try PICO or LISA III, it sounds great and better than many desktop amplifiers.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 13
+1

When you are to the point of trying to correct headphones by using amplification, there is something wrong somewhere.

And BTW, your Beyers are designed for 120-ohms output jacks.
Keep that in mind. You haven't heard the real Beyers till you use a 120-ohms jack with plenty of drive (much more than a couple of watts).

Quote:

Not to be a prick but it sounds to me like you want different headphones.

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 13
Yeah, i was considered the pico as portable (specially for his mids quality and for his volume capacity), but it cost a lot of money and i believe that the bass isn't as strong as with my Arietta, and i don't believe that it is better than my Arietta, except for the mids and volume (well, at least i can't found a review comparing both side to side). Anyway, i have to read more about it. the same for the Lisa III. It deliver a lot of bass, thanks to his bass bost; but it is also very expensive, and i think that it isn't better than my Arietta, according to Skylab review of home amps (although he didn't a serious comparison), i will to glance at her, hehehe.
Ah, when you say that the pico is better than many Desktop headphones (that can be true), you can name any (for reference)?
Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try PICO or LISA III, it sounds great and better than many desktop amplifiers.

Isn't for correct, is to enaced some of his "weaknesses". Well, maybe i could haved exaggerate in some things that in reality doesn't as severe (as more bass slam instead of slighty more and other things).
in other hand, the 120-ohm adapter, and output in some amps, isn't mean for extremely very bright headphones as the Beyers DT831, and 931 or for another kind of headphones?. According to that i read in the corda opera owners (somethink like that), some experiment "strange" behavior (as a sound without body (thin)) when it is conected to the Opera 120 ohm ouput.
Ah, at purpose, where it says that the beyers (all) sound better with a 120 ohm output (or adapter)?
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1

When you are to the point of trying to correct headphones by using amplification, there is something wrong somewhere.

And BTW, your Beyers are designed for 120-ohms output jacks.
Keep that in mind. You haven't heard the real Beyers till you use a 120-ohms jack with plenty of drive (much more than a couple of watts).

Is there more suggestions?

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 13
I agree with the poster saying try new headphones.

I say try all the headphones that you can then choose or tweak an amp for the headphone that you can live with

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 13
Yes i known, but for now is complicated. I am interested in get the AD2000 as alternative [is the perfect alternative (and parallel) to my DT990s] and D5000 as closed alternative. But the prices and availability is a impediment for me (and find a cheaper and cooperative middleman to buy in those* "not very well known sites" for one of them, *is very difficult and expensive). Well my most cheap alternative but very powerfull, is to get the drivers for my HFI-780 (but not the same...)...
Dammit [size=xx-small](i reffer to the natural fenomena...)[/size], There are various variables and alternatives*, and limitations because of the distance and payment forms..., *but little money for test each alternative. For that this site exist, fortunately.
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I say try all the headphones that you can then choose or tweak an amp for the headphone that you can live with

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

can't say you're right but can't say you're wrong neither. wilashort is trying audiophile headphones, not entry headphones. all audiophile headphone need an amp, good amp to sound decent. trying out new/different headphones is just a waste of time/money. of course unless he enjoys the "journey". then he should try as many headphones/amps as he can but to me, he seems like he just want to "get there". plus he knows he likes dt990.

wilashort, have you consider darkvoice 336 or shanling p300? i tried them both and i thought both sound pretty good. p300 a little better though. not sure how much are they outside China

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 13
Thank you for your recommendation (About the shanlings ), i have readed a litlle now and i have learned one thing: MOST (if not all) OF ALL THAT HIGH COST Amps are HYPED and OVERPRICED for his performace and for that you can get...
You get the point.... I want a VERY HIGH bang for the buck amp and not one OVERPRICED (because the owner so the like) or overhyped.
And yes, trying different headphones only for trying is an absolute sillyness; and yes, a waste of money (for when i need to sell them and i can't....).
Thanks for the words anyway and your recomendations....
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can't say you're right but can't say you're wrong neither. wilashort is trying audiophile headphones, not entry headphones. all audiophile headphone need an amp, good amp to sound decent. trying out new/different headphones is just a waste of time/money. of course unless he enjoys the "journey". then he should try as many headphones/amps as he can but to me, he seems like he just want to "get there". plus he knows he likes dt990.

wilashort, have you consider darkvoice 336 or shanling p300? i tried them both and i thought both sound pretty good. p300 a little better though. not sure how much are they outside China

Users who are viewing this thread

Back