The Beatles Remasters Review and Discussion Thread
Sep 11, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #91 of 195
I bought both of these last night, but never got around to listening to them. Sorry! But I've heard Let It Be is bass shy. I'm gonna be bummed. But it's my fav Beatles albums, so I had to get it. I think you can't lose with Past Masters. You WANT disc 2 in stereo.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #93 of 195
Speaking for myself, I didn't (and don't) think my post was off-topic. However, if my remarks upset the OP, FWIW I don't mind if the mods want to delete it from the thread in the interest of peace.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #94 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of mono a stereo mixes. EMI could have easily put both a stereo and mono mix on each disc because all of these albums are very short. Perhaps they will do just that down the road and charge a little extra. This is all really about money.

Yes I agree with that. I've got the Capitol Albums Vol 1 and 2, with both stereo and mono on the same cd.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #95 of 195
Update: Let it Be and Past Masters arrived today. Listening now. I am happy with the SQ but what remains unprecedented is the quality of this music. Pure brilliance. I am very happy!!

I am still waiting on the Mono Box set, can someone who has theirs already give a brief description of what comes on the Mono Masters Comp. disc (included w/ Mono Box Set)? Is it just Past Masters in Mono?

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #96 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update: Let it Be and Past Masters arrived today. Listening now. I am happy with the SQ but what remains unprecedented is the quality of this music. Pure brilliance. I am very happy!!

I am still waiting on the Mono Box set, can someone who has theirs already give a brief description of what comes on the Mono Masters Comp. disc (included w/ Mono Box Set)? Is it just Past Masters in Mono?

The mono masters actually come in two discs. They have the same tracks as Past Masters vol 1& 2 but in mono.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #97 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mono masters actually come in two discs. They have the same tracks as Past Masters vol 1& 2 but in mono.

Not quite true ... the first disc has the same tracks in both mono and stereo, but the second disc is slightly different: the mono version gets "Only A Northern Song", "All Together Now", "Hey Bulldog", "It's All Too Much" as exclusives, the stereo version gets "Old Brown Shoe", "The Ballad of John and Yoko" and "Let It Be". According to the booklet that comes with the mono set, the mono version exclusives are all previously unavailable and none is a fold-down of a stereo version. The stereo version exclusives are excluded from the mono boxed set because there was never a mono version of those three songs.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #98 of 195
since this now seems to be the remasters thread. I was in best buy this afternoon and noticed the mono box set just sitting on the shelf.

Since I know the manager i asked about it and he said that many of the stores got a second shipment and they got a couple more in themselves.

So i picked up the mono box set myself.

Listening to please please me right now and gotta say the mono mix sounds superior in everyway compared to the "hard stereo" version which I also have.

This sounds dumb, but the sound is much more organic and is like the beatles are playing in front of me instead of a studio concoction

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #99 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite true ... the first disc has the same tracks in both mono and stereo, but the second disc is slightly different: the mono version gets "Only A Northern Song", "All Together Now", "Hey Bulldog", "It's All Too Much" as exclusives, the stereo version gets "Old Brown Shoe", "The Ballad of John and Yoko" and "Let It Be". According to the booklet that comes with the mono set, the mono version exclusives are all previously unavailable and none is a fold-down of a stereo version. The stereo version exclusives are excluded from the mono boxed set because there was never a mono version of those three songs.

Thanks for the correction. I was going by the track list without reading the booklet-my bad!
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #101 of 195
I stayed up until the wee hours listening to the mono and some stereo. The mono really grabbed me. The stereo was distracting as the sound jumped from one ear to the other.

Off topic. In 1974 (I believe) an Indianapolis radio station aired a Beatles show 10 years after they played in the city. A woman called up and said that her brother was their waiter, who served them dinner before the concert. Guess how much the tip was - a quarter!

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #102 of 195
They didn't believe in tipping.

Hehehehe, great story! I'll be telling that one.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #103 of 195
I grabbed the Past Masters discs over lunch today. I'm still at the office
frown.gif
but it'll go right into the car stereo once I clear out, and then straight to the HD-800 when I get home. I'm really looking forward to this!

As for the other stuff... I don't agree. First, I know several members of the younger generation. They do appreciate good music, but are young (of course) and I've been seriously interested in music for 25 years. The young ones need some time to listen and explore, no different from any other generation. Second, most bricks'n'mortar shops just sold top 40 dross. Their loss is not significant. You've always had to go to the more select and quirkier shops to get interesting music and they're still around. I don't see any difference. Finally, rock isn't dead. The top 40 has been mostly lousy since the 1960s and FM has gone downhill. But great music is still there if you know where to look.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #104 of 195
OK so......I'm pissed with amazon because they didn't deliver in a timely fashion and I'm not due to get my stereo box until Monday and the Mono box not until Thursday despite the fact that I preordered it on the first day of availablity and paid for overnight shipping......I've already handled the issue with Amazon and got them to refund me all the shipping costs and as well as a 30 dollar refund on the whole order. But I'm still annoyed because like so many of you all, I was dreaming about these CDs.....

I made a deal with a friend that I would go out and buy 1 CD and when my box came he would buy it from me......I chose Abbey Road, though The White Album is my favorite, didn't feel like fronting the cash on a double CD......

This will be my review on Abbey Road, but I intend on contributing further to this thread when my boxed sets arrive this upcoming week......

Impressions
Abbey Road has probably aged the best of the Beatles albums because it was recorded with techniques which are more intune with today's recording and mixing techniques.......Yes the drums still aim to one side but the overall sound of the record is strikingly modern compared to any other Beatles album. The drums on "The End" have the designation of being the only time a beatle song included a true Stereo drum track instead of 2 mono kits mixed together....

I had high expectations for this remaster. I don't think the remaster exceeded my expectations, but I think it pretty much met them. One thing I will say is that the bass seems to be more forward than even the vinyl pressing and I find this to give it a modern if inauthentic sound, but its very good and easily more enjoyable than the bass-anemic 1987 CD release.

As already said the dynamic range has hardly been touched (if at all) and the instrument separation is greatly improved. One section which was a real eye-opener for me was the guitar solo on You Never Give Me Your Money......the section which is just guitar fills (beginning with "nowhere to go" and ending just before "one sweet dream") There is a layer here of at least 3 guitars and in the past even when using a good vinyl set up I've found it hard to ascertain all the notes in the guitar fills especially beneath the harmonies......but this remaster has brought this out a bit and now the listening experience is more complete for me......of course by caring about details like this you could say the listener is greatly micromanaging their experience. You would be right. Though I never had a problem with the 1987 CDs, I knew it could be better, but I still prefered them to the horrible brickwall remasters of so many other bands.

One thing you will notice, particularly on Come Together is tape hiss. Such a beautiful thing to hear, and you don't hear as much of it on the 1987 master, but you do on the vinyl. Why is it a good thing? Because this is where the details are and getting rid of it is like taking filling in the cracks in the monalisa instead of letting it be just Davinci's handywork.............it is impossible to remove blemishess without removing art too.

In Golden Slumbers i hear Ringo counting time on the ride a bit, something I've never noticed and of course not very important, but it's always fun to experience things for the first time. It's like being married to your wife for 20 years and one day seeing a little freckle she has for the first time. hahaha

For a while now I've grown accustomed to the "Black Triangle" Remaster of Abbey Road which actually was released before the 1987 master, and really just a very very good needle drop. This remaster is still an improvement on that as well. I'm a big fan of Dr Ebbetts work, though I've never heard his Abbey Road MFSL needle drop.

Is there anything about this remaster which is inferior to the 1987?
I can say that on some bass heavy speakers and headphones the new remaster may actually feel over emphasized in the lower region. Also some may prefer certain songs with less tape hiss......but the overall presentation of the music here is superior in virtually every way. It's probably not perfect, and by perfect I literally mean recreating a vinyl experience, a very good vinyl experience. But I am pretty certain that if these were MFSL CDs of Beatles music or DCC Gold remasters, we'd all be very happy with them.....they are audiophile quality and they are about as good as we will probably ever hear the Beatles original mixes in digital format!

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #105 of 195
Nice review, David! Sums it up perfectly. But as good as we'll here in digital? I have a suspicion, after 4 years of work, they're going to sneak out a hi-rez edition. Come on, I'm sure they sampled the tapes at 24bit/96kHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back