The Beatles Remasters Review and Discussion Thread
Sep 12, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #106 of 195
I just picked up Revolver this afternoon. This is the only Beatles album that I don't currently own. I once owned a US mono LP copy and a US stereophonic LP copy. The 1987 CD copy I once had seemed to have disappeared along with a former girlfriend but who really knows? This new release sounds as good as advertised. Much better than the 1987 CD and probably better than any of the botched US LP releases but the equipment I had access to growing up was not near as good as I have now except for my former young ears. The new release sounds as good as it probably gets and any LP competitors are probably really no better. For anyone needing any Beatles music, these are the ones to own.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #107 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review, David! Sums it up perfectly. But as good as we'll here in digital? I have a suspicion, after 4 years of work, they're going to sneak out a hi-rez edition. Come on, I'm sure they sampled the tapes at 24bit/96kHz.

Thanks! I really meant 16 bit 44.1

I'm listening to the album again.......it really is an excellent remaster..........listening with my HD800 and the bass is super full.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #108 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review, David! Sums it up perfectly. But as good as we'll here in digital? I have a suspicion, after 4 years of work, they're going to sneak out a hi-rez edition. Come on, I'm sure they sampled the tapes at 24bit/96kHz.

That is pretty much as good as you can get... if you are expecting Dark Side of the Moon's level of SQ you are expecting too much. Don't forget that these albums are released in the 60's and there's a limit as to how much SQ you can squeeze from them, especially the earlier ones. I'll add that IMHO the 1987 master was never as bad as what some people make them out to be and the 2009 masters aren't that big of an improvement because there isn't that much room for improvement. Still a very nice upgrade

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #109 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is pretty much as good as you can get... if you are expecting Dark Side of the Moon's level of SQ you are expecting too much. Don't forget that these albums are released in the 60's and there's a limit as to how much SQ you can squeeze from them, especially the earlier ones. I'll add that IMHO the 1987 master was never as bad as what some people make them out to be and the 2009 masters aren't that big of an improvement because there isn't that much room for improvement. Still a very nice upgrade

Ah, yes. Probably sad but true. Oh well, they sound great already.

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #110 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking for myself, I didn't (and don't) think my post was off-topic. However, if my remarks upset the OP, FWIW I don't mind if the mods want to delete it from the thread in the interest of peace.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can always delete it yourself...

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #111 of 195
Agreed, Chad, this is not the last we'll hear from EMI in terms of sonic improvements to The Beatles. After the sales of the mono CD set we can pretty much guarantee a vinyl set, and then there are the other digital media to think about. It's a never-ending gravy train but I'm very happy that I hopped aboard for the mono set.

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #112 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can always delete it yourself...

I didn't see any meanness or 4 letter words in markl's comments. For anyone not wanting to read markl's comments, my comments, or anybody else's comments, they can always skip over them. Its not as if we would have been saving paper or a tree. The internet is a bottomless pit and I am not exactly a big fan of censorship anyhow. It is true that the internet can at times be like the wild wild west. For anyone not liking the place, get out of Dodge.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #113 of 195
It doesn't matter whether I like or not markl's essay or if it should be posted here or in another thread.

Instead of restarting a discussion about this, read again my post. It only says that the author himself has the possibility to delete his own post, without dragging moderators into this mess.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #115 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't matter whether I like or not markl's essay or if it should be posted here or in another thread.

Instead of restarting a discussion about this, read again my post. It only says that the author himself has the possibility to delete his own post, without dragging moderators into this mess.

Hi greenhorn: I wasn't really directing my comments toward you particularly. I just saw an opportunity to put my 2 cents in after reading the entire thread. I think the OP could have used better skill in focusing the discussion without pointing some member's comments out as unwelcome. Markl can of course add or delete any comments as he likes. His or anyone else's comments are certainly most welcome.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #118 of 195
Just came back from local Best Buy and they are cleaned out of new Beatles albums........Wednesday they had large center isle kiosk stuffed with inventory.

As I listen to the stereo versions again I become more and more unhappy with the exaggerated stereo effects and long to hear the mono versions.

I refuse however to pay 10% premium over full price stereo albums that are 40+ years old for the complete mono set that only duplicates original album tracks with no bonus material......enough is enough

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #119 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I agree with that. I've got the Capitol Albums Vol 1 and 2, with both stereo and mono on the same cd.

This is a great idea and this is how new remasters should have been released, both stereo and mono tracks for each album on 1Cd............

51JN6M0E24L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #120 of 195
Just listened to Abbey Road. I thought I was FOREVER burnt out on that album, but this new remaster made it an exciting listen again. You can hear genuine intimacy in the way the voices sound, I mean they ARE THERE. It's amazing. Listening to that album had become like saluting the American flag - an emblematic listen without thought or real emotion. Suddenly it was like watching that flag wave and ripple in a breeze against a shifting sky. Wait a minute, this should be a union jack simile, shouldnt it? Sorry about that Brits... But I mean, the recording suddenly became an organic instead of an iconic listen. It's amazing. True audiophile stuff!!!!! Get these discs guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back