The Beatles or Pink Floyd.....Cast your vote
Sep 29, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #106 of 192
[size=small]Beatles influence on PF.  Makes interesting reading.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]

[size=small]The Floyd never tried to be the Beatles or, as proper southerners, even sound like the Beatles, but the Fab Four’s palette is unavoidably spattered over much of the Floyd’s greatest work.
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, the bible of summer 1967, gobsmacked musicians all over the English-speaking world, and the Floyd were no exception. Syd Barrett quotes musically from the album’s title song in his subsequent single “Apples and Oranges,” while Waters twice invoked “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”: lyrically in “Let There Be More Light” and musically in “Point Me at the Sky.”
Finally, the universal appeal and acceptance of the brain-melting “A Day in the Life” surely dovetailed with the Floyd’s already strongly developed sense of musique concrète as expressed on the contemporary “Interstellar Overdrive.”
Syd Barrett’s replacement, David Gilmour, took much of his guitar sound in later years from the Alan Parsons/Geoff Emerick/George Harrison sonic palette of The Beatles (the “White Album”) and Abbey Road, using the arpeggios of “Dear Prudence” and “You Never Give Me Your Money” as jumping-off points for his own playing, especially on Dark Side pieces “Any Colour You Like” and “Eclipse.” Gilmour also stated that he enjoyed the picking on Cream’s “Badge,” which was actually played by Harrison.
Roger Waters, as befits an artist with a bent toward “meaningful” lyrics, was a Lennon man, finding the classic “Across the Universe” compelling enough to use the lyrical pattern for 1971’s groundbreaking “Echoes” and later playing “Universe” in his solo career. It would be fair to say that Waters also garnered inspiration and solace from the confessional songwriting style of Lennon’s 1970 Plastic Ono Band. [/size]

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #107 of 192

Quote:
[size=small] [/size]

[size=small]The Floyd never tried to be the Beatles or, as proper southerners, even sound like the Beatles, but the Fab Four’s palette is unavoidably spattered over much of the Floyd’s greatest work.
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, the bible of summer 1967, gobsmacked musicians all over the English-speaking world, and the Floyd were no exception. Syd Barrett quotes musically from the album’s title song in his subsequent single “Apples and Oranges,” while Waters twice invoked “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”: lyrically in “Let There Be More Light” and musically in “Point Me at the Sky.”
Finally, the universal appeal and acceptance of the brain-melting “A Day in the Life” surely dovetailed with the Floyd’s already strongly developed sense of musique concrète as expressed on the contemporary “Interstellar Overdrive.”
Syd Barrett’s replacement, David Gilmour, took much of his guitar sound in later years from the Alan Parsons/Geoff Emerick/George Harrison sonic palette of The Beatles (the “White Album”) and Abbey Road, using the arpeggios of “Dear Prudence” and “You Never Give Me Your Money” as jumping-off points for his own playing, especially on Dark Side pieces “Any Colour You Like” and “Eclipse.” Gilmour also stated that he enjoyed the picking on Cream’s “Badge,” which was actually played by Harrison.
Roger Waters, as befits an artist with a bent toward “meaningful” lyrics, was a Lennon man, finding the classic “Across the Universe” compelling enough to use the lyrical pattern for 1971’s groundbreaking “Echoes” and later playing “Universe” in his solo career. It would be fair to say that Waters also garnered inspiration and solace from the confessional songwriting style of Lennon’s 1970 Plastic Ono Band. [/size]

Thanks for showing a bit of evidence, that pink floyd did not grow up in a test tube. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #109 of 192
[size=small] [/size]

[size=small]The Floyd never tried to be the Beatles or, as proper southerners, even sound like the Beatles, but the Fab Four’s palette is unavoidably spattered over much of the Floyd’s greatest work.Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, the bible of summer 1967, gobsmacked musicians all over the English-speaking world, and the Floyd were no exception. Syd Barrett quotes musically from the album’s title song in his subsequent single “Apples and Oranges,” while Waters twice invoked “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”: lyrically in “Let There Be More Light” and musically in “Point Me at the Sky.”Finally, the universal appeal and acceptance of the brain-melting “A Day in the Life” surely dovetailed with the Floyd’s already strongly developed sense of musique concrète as expressed on the contemporary “Interstellar Overdrive.”Syd Barrett’s replacement, David Gilmour, took much of his guitar sound in later years from the Alan Parsons/Geoff Emerick/George Harrison sonic palette of The Beatles (the “White Album”) and Abbey Road, using the arpeggios of “Dear Prudence” and “You Never Give Me Your Money” as jumping-off points for his own playing, especially on Dark Side pieces “Any Colour You Like” and “Eclipse.” Gilmour also stated that he enjoyed the picking on Cream’s “Badge,” which was actually played by Harrison.Roger Waters, as befits an artist with a bent toward “meaningful” lyrics, was a Lennon man, finding the classic “Across the Universe” compelling enough to use the lyrical pattern for 1971’s groundbreaking “Echoes” and later playing “Universe” in his solo career. It would be fair to say that Waters also garnered inspiration and solace from the confessional songwriting style of Lennon’s 1970 Plastic Ono Band. [/size] 

That part made me LOL

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #112 of 192

Quote:
-When I first listened to the Beatles: Wow what a great band!
-When I first listened to Pink Floyd: I think they are godly!

THEN.........I listened to Frank Zappa, and I haven't given those two a second thought ever since. Most people admire those two bands, but those bands admired Zappa, and he couldn't have cared less
tongue.gif

I'd like to read about the bolded; do you have a source?

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #114 of 192
the beatles are highly over-rated. i like some of their stuff but they get too much praise sometimes. i think i would choose pink floyd over them personally

Oct 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #115 of 192

Quote:
Prog rock's biggest influence in late 60s were jazz, rock and classical... not pop.

The Beatles started out as a pop group, yes.  And that popularity afforded them an opportunity to risk becoming more experimental.  The music of The Beatles, and the recording techniques employed, was very progressive for the time.  I can't see how anyone could consider Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour or the White Album to be "pop".  Sure they were popular, but the music within was progressive.

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #116 of 192

Quote:
supra1988t,  Did you ever see Frank live before he passed, Killer act and guitarist , but totally different type of show/music then the Beatles or PF

Unfortunately no.  I was only 9 when he died.  I did see Zappa plays Zappa last year and they did one of my favorite albums, Apostrophe.  It was amazing.  I do agree though that Zappa is a totally different type of music compared to the Beatles and PF.

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #118 of 192
Pink Floyd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back