The Beatles or Pink Floyd.....Cast your vote
Jan 6, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #141 of 192
Pink Floyd by a large margin by musical preference.  But I think the Beatles (Paul and Lennon) were better song writers. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #143 of 192
Quote:
Pink Floyd never copied anybody else's work, they all did their work themselves.

The Beatles were great, I like their stuff a lot. They are better than a boy band because they can rock: See Paul McCartney on Saturday Night Live. I respect their originality too, down to the instruments they played. The Beatles inspired some of my favorite bands +1. But to me the Beatles can be Cheesy (a lot) at worst. Beatles albums can sound like compilations of 4 different bands. PF can be very similar sound and somewhat repetitive on albums. Pink Floyd can seem like they're just jamming at times to me. All that said, I still like Pink Floyd better just because I've listened to The Wall like 500 times and still like it. More, Meddle, Atom Heart, Animals, Dark Side Of the Moon, Wish You Were Here are awesome too. I even like The Final Cut a lot, which seems to be unloved among my PF loving friends.   

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #144 of 192
Jesus, or Spiderman, cast your vote!

That makes as much sense as the OP's question.

Talk about apples and oranges!

How about this:  Sex Pistols, or Yes, cast your vote!

This is not a very useful discussion IMHO...

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #145 of 192
So because of all the people talking trash about this thread, I've been trying to compare Beatles and Pink Floyd for about an hour now looking for any similarities. My best so far is "Long Long Long" off the White Album by George Harrison which almost seems like it could have been on The Wall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jWSFdIAEUU
They both have a song about diamonds and money, they're both from England, and they both liken "probably capitalists" to "piggies."
Some strange facts to note: Yellow Submarine was Paul McCartney's song written for Ringo and when he was writing it, wanted it to be a kids song. And Donovan, the famous Scottish Folk singer/songwriter supposedly added the lyrics "Skies of blue and seas of green" to the song.
And I just read this today, that Tennille, from Captain and Tennille, did some back-up vocals on Pink Floyd's "The Wall." 
So Captain and Tinnille fans and Pink Floyd fans should join forces, drop acid and make love.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #147 of 192
Quote:
Pink Floyd never copied anybody else's work, they all did their work themselves.

As far as copying work, Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and The Who's "Tommy" are both essentially Rock Operas that begin with WW2 imagery, and is a story about a boy who's dead father torments him. Pink needs a dirty woman to make him "feel like a real man" and Tommy get's the acid Queen make him better. Both Tommy and Pink break Mirrors. They're both double albums. I mean you have to squint your eyes a little to see the similarities: from "Tommy can you hear me" to "Is there anybody out there." A lot of the concepts and ideological criticisms were the same, and The Who's album came 10 years earlier.
Quote:
I can listen to Echoes by Pink Floyd or Mephisto Waltz by Liszt and say 'Wow, what a great composition' without some mind altering drop.

If this is directed at my Acid comment, then I'd say I really think the point is to use the music to stimulate the high, not the high to stimulate the music.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #148 of 192
Quote:

As far as copying work, Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and The Who's "Tommy" are both essentially Rock Operas that begin with WW2 imagery, and is a story about a boy who's dead father torments him. Pink needs a dirty woman to make him "feel like a real man" and Tommy get's the acid Queen make him better. Both Tommy and Pink break Mirrors. They're both double albums. I mean you have to squint your eyes a little to see the similarities: from "Tommy can you hear me" to "Is there anybody out there." A lot of the concepts and ideological criticisms were the same, and The Who's album came 10 years earlier.

If this is directed at my Acid comment, then I'd say I really think the point is to use the music to stimulate the high, not the high to stimulate the music.

I understand that it was just a comment and mine was just as well, no offense intended, and I hope none taken.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #150 of 192
Quote:

I understand that it was just a comment and mine was just as well, no offense intended, and I hope none taken.

None here. I just wanted to clarify because I don't know you or where you are in your musical/life journey. We all experience things at different times in our lives and I was assuming that some people have done drugs here. One thing I can say about the two bands mentioned are they're pretty emotion driven bands. Some people might relate to the Beatles after a break-up with their significant other or some happy event. Some minds are too fragile to handle any Pink Floyd ever without slitting their wrists. But when my uncle died I couldn't get the song "Wish You Were Here" out of my mind forever, and It still reminds me of him. :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back