The Bealtes - new Box set out for per-order now !!!
Sep 8, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #167 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ yeah that seems like the way to go with Amazon and I certainly understand the principle of getting what you pay for so I do not expect the world with free shipping. But I also understand competition and I ordered a pr of HD228s from Buy.com last night with free shipping and I woke up to a shipping notice.

...and the actual price of the HPs was 10 bucks cheaper than on Amazon
wink.gif

I've shopped at Buy too. But Amazon won me over when my Zune screen cracked with little or no real pressure (an early Zune issue) and it was past 30 days from Amazon and MS said I was SOL (not warranty on cracked screen glass). Amazon refunded me in full, no questions. I liked the Zune, so I ordered another one on the spot, but I never forgot that. Of course, they knew I was a good customer and a Prime member, but still. I doubt Buy.com wold ever do that, and my wife had some issues trying to return something to them. But yes, they do offer great prices on a lot of items. Though I saw a post recently where Buy.com was selling "For display only" gear, can't remember what it was, but not kosher.

Anyway, all my Beatles CDs have been shipped (bought 9) and two should arrive tomorrow.

Update, they are all marked for delivery 9/9. We'll see.

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #169 of 189
This just in from Reuters:

"According to sources, EMI is shipping worldwide about 150,000 copies of the stereo boxed set and 40,000-50,000 copies of the mono set. Each U.S. sale of either multidisc set will count as only one SoundScan sale, however, which could deflate total unit sales."

BTW, I just listened to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" in mono. I don' know how the hell anyone could think it sounds better. Sounds awful to me.

Price watch: Stereo box now $179 from Amazon.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #170 of 189
Picked up the mono set after reading up a bit. I never really listened to the Beatles to be honest until my last gf started getting me interested. This will be a "first time" thing for me in most cases and I'm excited for the experience
smily_headphones1.gif

I've spent months piecing together a rig I like for my desk and I've been collecting reference classical discs along with a few others, but this is going to be a completely new journey!

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #172 of 189
Barnes and Noble shipped my mono box. Still waiting on Abbey Road.

Past Masters is $12.99 on Best Buy's web site, which is what it was in their weekly ad, so it looks like that wasn't a misprint.

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #173 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don' know how the hell anyone could think it sounds better. Sounds awful to me.

Well there you have it folks. I suppose everyone should just send their CDs back.

--Jerome

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #174 of 189
I'm guilty. The charm of mono eludes me. I will say, however, I've heard steve Hoffman's Pet Sounds in mono, and you'd swear its in stereo it's so alive. Not the case with the 2009 White Album.

And may I add...

[size=xx-large]999 = HAIL SATAN![/size]

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #176 of 189
Just returned from local Best Buy.......

Purchased Rubber Soul -> Abbey Road Cds
Beautiful 3 panel digipaks with large color/BW photos and great booklets, but unfortunately.......

They did not use plastic CD trays and Cds slide in/out side of cardboard digipak, so scratching/scuffing of CD begins day 1
frown.gif

I will store them in special scratch free CD envelopes, when will these people ever learn.........no respect for audiophiles.
The CD package is not only there to display information and look cool, but also to protect the CD while being stored!

Also will mention the mono/stereo complete boxsets were flying out the door while I was there

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #178 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They did not use plastic CD trays and Cds slide in/out side of cardboard digipak, so scratching/scuffing of CD begins day 1
frown.gif

I will store them in special scratch free CD envelopes, when will these people ever learn.........no respect for audiophiles.
The CD package is not only there to display information and look cool, but also to protect the CD while being stored!

The mono box set have two inner sleeves for each cd but the stereo ones have none. You can always buy your own:

SoundsourceCDs

Hope this helps.

Paul

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #179 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mono box set have two inner sleeves for each cd but the stereo ones have none. You can always buy your own:

SoundsourceCDs

Hope this helps. Paul

Thanks I am using a similar design protective sleeve from another source
regular_smile .gif

Interesting that for the mono box they do the right thing to protect the CD, but for stereo Cds they accelerate the scratch/scuff process......

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #180 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks I am using a similar design protective sleeve from another source
regular_smile .gif

Interesting that for the mono box they do the right thing to protect the CD, but for stereo Cds they accelerate the scratch/scuff process......

I am wondering about that too...
tongue.gif

I think they just wanted to cut down production cost. The cd singles and EP box sets in the past also came with no sleeves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back