The Basshead Club
Oct 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #7,816 of 11,286

The bass on the Skullcrushers isn't very good. It's very muddy, bloated and has no separation. It's just one big wall of bass. The Crushers are a little bit better, but aren't really recommended as basshead cans. The HFI 580 will sound bass shy compared to a Skullcrusher/Crusher, but the low end actually sounds good. When I turn my Crusher's bass level to full, it literally sounds like I'm hearing mud, especially on lower quality MP3 tracks (160 kbps and below).

Sounds like the Ear Pollution Mogul HP [I saw a kid wearing one the other day] :/ very wall of bass sound style 

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #7,817 of 11,286

Thank you!

Is that right?:  "However, I would also not say their clarity and resolution is NOT up to audiophile levels."

That means that they are up to audiophile levels.

Apologies for the double-negative. 
bigsmile_face.gif
   Just to confirm, the AH-D300's clarity and resolution is NOT up to audiophile levels.  However, their bass is so good, they are still a fun listen and sound good enough throughout the range to be enjoyable, even though I have become a more critical listener.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #7,818 of 11,286
How do those compare the the skullcandy skullcrushers?

In terms of amount of bass. Im recommending the d300's to a friend who has those. I had him listen to my hfi 580's with the fiio e11 eq set to 2.

He said he thought there was no bass whatsoever -.-

I would say the bass of the AH-D300 is more powerful than even an over-ear like the M-Audio Q40.  They have a similar sound signature from what I remember of the Q40, but the Q40 has better resolution and bigger soundstage.  Also, the Q40 really needs an amp to shine.  The AH-D300 can easily achieve its potential without an amp.

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #7,819 of 11,286
I would say the bass of the AH-D300 is more powerful than even an over-ear like the M-Audio Q40.  They have a similar sound signature from what I remember of the Q40, but the Q40 has better resolution and bigger soundstage.  Also, the Q40 really needs an amp to shine.  The AH-D300 can easily achieve its potential without an amp.

Agree!

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #7,820 of 11,286

Thank you!

Is that right?:  "However, I would also not say their clarity and resolution is NOT up to audiophile levels."

That means that they are up to audiophile levels.

Apologies for the double-negative. 
bigsmile_face.gif
   Just to confirm, the AH-D300's clarity and resolution is NOT up to audiophile levels.  However, their bass is so good, they are still a fun listen and sound good enough throughout the range to be enjoyable, even though I have become a more critical listener.

How do those compare the the skullcandy skullcrushers?

In terms of amount of bass. Im recommending the d300's to a friend who has those. I had him listen to my hfi 580's with the fiio e11 eq set to 2.

He said he thought there was no bass whatsoever -.-

Agree!

Thank you!

It is AH-C300 and not AH-D300 in these posts.

How do the mids and highs compare to the mids and highs of the Yamaha EPH-100?

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #7,823 of 11,286

Originally Posted by Alberto01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you!

It is AH-C300 and not AH-D300 in these posts.

How do the mids and highs compare to the mids and highs of the Yamaha EPH-100?

Sorry, no comparison there.  It is more difficult to compare IEMs vs. circumaural and supra-aural based on the ear wax factor.

AFAIK the EPH-100 are IEMs:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EPH-100SL-Inner-Ear-Headphone/dp/B00591GIMY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382214002&sr=1-1&keywords=eph+100

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #7,824 of 11,286
  Sounds like the Ear Pollution Mogul HP [I saw a kid wearing one the other day] :/ very wall of bass sound style 

Yup. These look like headphones that Steve Aoki would use. Pretty tacky design.

At least Skullcandy's taking the  road to achieving better sound - the Aviators and Mix Master Mike are pretty good headphones.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #7,829 of 11,286
I just read it but still hoping someone to chime in. 

Anyway, I was also thinking about the headphones vs IEM issue. Aside from comfort (and fittings), how do they compare in bass performance? I mean, for me IEM has excellent noise cancellation because of total blockage in the ear. I haven't used a headphone before but I am thinking of buying one. For more or less $100, what good headphones has excellent bass performance and clarity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back