The Basshead Club
Oct 17, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #7,771 of 11,286
I've been a basshead for a long time now but I just recently discovered and joined head-fi. I currently have a SoundmagicPL11 but it doesn't give that much bass. I am now looking forward to upgrading. I saw the list on the first page and I don't know what to choose. For a budget of $100, what IEM can you recommend? I'm really into the the extreme bass punch but of course with clarity (not muddy). 

Also, I want to use my PC as source, is that ok? Is there a need for an amp? 

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #7,772 of 11,286
  I've been a basshead for a long time now but I just recently discovered and joined head-fi. I currently have a SoundmagicPL11 but it doesn't give that much bass. I am now looking forward to upgrading. I saw the list on the first page and I don't know what to choose. For a budget of $100, what IEM can you recommend? I'm really into the the extreme bass punch but of course with clarity (not muddy). 

Also, I want to use my PC as source, is that ok? Is there a need for an amp? 

Without a doubt, the Denon AH-C300 which can be found as low as $110 and originally sold for $250.  The bass will knock your socks off and the overall sound is very good.  Another one to try based on what I have read is the Velodyne V-Pulse.  The Denon comes with an impressive array of accessories to customize the fit and a nice roomy case.  Also, the Iphone controls are actually on the earpiece!

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #7,773 of 11,286
I will check that out. By the way, is an amp necessary? I'll be using my pc as the source so do I have to also get a DAC? 

edit: I just checked out the denon ah-c300 and damn, the frequency response goes as low as 5Hz. I've never seen any IEM go down this much. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #7,774 of 11,286
  I will check that out. By the way, is an amp necessary? I'll be using my pc as the source so do I have to also get a DAC? 

edit: I just checked out the denon ah-c300 and damn, the frequency response goes as low as 5Hz. I've never seen any IEM go down this much. 

They are easy to drive from my Iphone.  I'm not sure about PC, but a DAC would benefit just about any headphone.

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #7,776 of 11,286
The purist will tell you that lossless (flac) is definitely better than lossy (MP3), but i would say that the best way to make that judgment call would be for you to try both formats yourself. Try your favorite song in both formats and see if you can hear the difference. 

Go for the one that sounds better to you. If you can't tell the difference between them, go for the mp3 version since they take up less space.

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #7,777 of 11,286
I've actually tried both. Bass (lows) on both formats don't show significant differences. It's in the clarity part that they differ. Lossy files sound more muddy but not that noticeable (unless you really pay attention to it). And you're right, mp3 does take up less space than lossless files. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #7,778 of 11,286
It's impossible to find the old Extra Bass series (xb500, xb700) with a reasonable price (on Amazon, a new pair of xb700 is around $240, LOL).

The only XB available here is XB920 (which is equivalent to MDR X10 in the USA, if i understand correctly.)

the price of xb920 is around $110 in Thailand. Is it a good deal?

does the xb920 require an AMP if i listen directly from my iphone5?
I know that an AMP will improve SQ on every headphone,
but is the sound significantly worse without an amp? that's what i mean.

thanks again. :)

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #7,779 of 11,286
  Oh ok. Another question, does playing lossless format (flac) vs the usual release format (mp3/m4a) of let's say modern hiphop and Rnb songs, affect the quality of the bass?

IMO not so much for bass.  However, I find a big difference in overall SQ between 128K and 256K files.  I use 256K files as a compromise between sound and file size.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #7,781 of 11,286
First time i have heard a basshead wary of overpowering bass.. 
biggrin.gif

But if you're really unsure of the power of the amp, why not just get the c300 first? then you can feel for yourself if the bass is to your liking. When you think that you want more bass, then get the amp. This way, you can lower the risk of burning a hole in your pocket.

I'm always for first hand experience. Nothing beats that feeling. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #7,783 of 11,286
  Hi guys, which headphone/iem can I get for under $70 that gives me that rumbling~~~ bass effect when I plug it into my smartphone XD
Most headphones just don't satisfy my bass hungry ears.. :/

Check out the first page of the thread if you haven't. There's a list that users have complied, showing some of the Basshead-worthy IEM/headphone.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #7,784 of 11,286
With very loudly / brickwalled mixes the WAV can sometimes offer a pretty decent advantage, seems WAVs handle the brickwalled waveforms better. For not that loudly mixes it doesn't have any big difference.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #7,785 of 11,286
  First time i have heard a basshead wary of overpowering bass.. 
biggrin.gif

But if you're really unsure of the power of the amp, why not just get the c300 first? then you can feel for yourself if the bass is to your liking. When you think that you want more bass, then get the amp. This way, you can lower the risk of burning a hole in your pocket.

I'm always for first hand experience. Nothing beats that feeling. 
smily_headphones1.gif

It's more of a concern on getting a muddy bass. But will do follow your advice. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back