The Basshead Club
Sep 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #7,576 of 11,286
  Don't throw that term around so lightly. As serious as it is,. Before you scare the heck out of some one you should I don't know maybe ask some questions

but seriously though if you ears ring...turn your volume down, Although my ears don't ring I do hear stuff alot q.q and not random noise rather I hear bit's an pieces of music. I guess like having part of a song stuck in my head 

I don't think I've ever had my ears ring. But I have been to concerts so loud that I could feel earwax vibrating inside my ears, and afterwards everything sounds super soft. But no ringing.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #7,577 of 11,286
I just received  Denon AH-C300s.  For anyone looking for a basshead IEM, I give these my highest recommendation.  I broke these in with Flo Rida.  Not only is bass off the charts with the right tips (huge selection in the box) but overall sound is very good which is rare in an IEM with this much bass.  Vocals are decent and highs have reasonable extension, but the bass- WOW!  I prefer these to my B&W C5.  These have much more bass than my C5s which are not bass light.  I am happy with the fit and feel so far.  One other note- monster bass means nothing to me if I can't enjoy vocals and instruments across the range and I am enjoying these.  Definitely genre specific, but lots of fun for those genres, just don't expect a big soundstage or high resolution.

Their design also makes them ideal for workouts.  If I could do a backflip, they wouldn't fall out.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #7,578 of 11,286
  I just received  Denon AH-C300s.  For anyone looking for a basshead IEM, I give these my highest recommendation.  I broke these in with Flo Rida.  Not only is bass off the charts with the right tips (huge selection in the box) but overall sound is very good which is rare in an IEM with this much bass.  Vocals are decent and highs have reasonable extension, but the bass- WOW!  I prefer these to my B&W C5.  These have much more bass than my C5s which are not bass light.  I am happy with the fit and feel so far.  One other note- monster bass means nothing to me if I can't enjoy vocals and instruments across the range and I am enjoying these.  Definitely genre specific, but lots of fun for those genres, just don't expect a big soundstage or high resolution.

Their design also makes them ideal for workouts.  If I could do a backflip, they wouldn't fall out.

Sounds great! Not a disaster like the D400 eh?

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #7,581 of 11,286
  By the way, how do the smartphone controls work? Everything is embedded in the earpieces, so you can't see what you're doing.

I just realized how sensitive these are and don't even need my amp, so I can travel light and run through my Iphone which also allows me to use the controls.  There is a dial on the right cup that is easy to adjust back and forth for volume and press the center to pause or answer calls- very cool and easy to use- definitely more convenient than the standard 3-button cable.  Listening to Pitbull now. 

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #7,582 of 11,286
It's all done by feel, I believe. 

Anyway, off-topic. Just wanted to go on a drunken rant, as I just finished a gig.

Does it bug anyone else that a lot of reviews/impressions on Head-fi put audio product sound signatures into one of two categories:

1. NEUTRAL, or
  2. V SHAPED

Sound signature can be, and often are, so much more complicated. Everytime I see the term "V SHAPED" in a review I always cringe - to me it says nothing about sibilance, sub-bass, low-mids..

I don't know. Maybe I'm just being a little fussy?

Drunken side note: I love this thread. I love that you guys appreciate bass in all forms. It feels like a lot of the head-fi community at large is so petrified of bass. So many product reviews will slam a product for being bass-heavy, or having "too much bass", and I find it a little disappointing to read, because some of us actually love those sorts of sounds in a product. 

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #7,583 of 11,286
  I just realized how sensitive these are and don't even need my amp, so I can travel light and run through my Iphone which also allows me to use the controls.  There is a dial on the right cup that is easy to adjust back and forth for volume and press the center to pause or answer calls- very cool and easy to use- definitely more convenient than the standard 3-button cable.  Listening to Pitbull now. 

That actually sounds pretty good, I might audition a pair when I get the chance. I really miss having smartphone controls.

It's all done by feel, I believe. 

Anyway, off-topic. Just wanted to go on a drunken rant, as I just finished a gig.

Does it bug anyone else that a lot of reviews/impressions on Head-fi put audio product sound signatures into one of two categories:

1. NEUTRAL, or
  2. V SHAPED

Sound signature can be, and often are, so much more complicated. Everytime I see the term "V SHAPED" in a review I always cringe - to me it says nothing about sibilance, sub-bass, low-mids..

I don't know. Maybe I'm just being a little fussy?

Drunken side note: I love this thread. I love that you guys appreciate bass in all forms. It feels like a lot of the head-fi community at large is so petrified of bass. So many product reviews will slam a product for being bass-heavy, or having "too much bass", and I find it a little disappointing to read, because some of us actually love those sorts of sounds in a product. 

There are many other sound signature categories - midcentric, bassy, U-shaped, etc. But the reviewer must have heard all those different sound signatures to be able to use those terms. Usually I take v-shaped to mean recessed mids, and u-shaped to have better sub-bass and treble extension without bloat and sibilance. In any case, terms like neutral and v-shaped are just very rough generalizations, and two headphones that fall into the same category can sound very different, so a graph or a detailed description of the headphone's unique sound signature is infinitely more helpful than a single vague term.

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #7,585 of 11,286
One description that'd be nice to hear more is impact. Extension, clarity, et cetera, are all great pieces of information to have, but sometimes I just wanna know how hard they hit. The term "satisfying" gets used a lot, and that can mean any number of things depending on what your tastes are.

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #7,586 of 11,286
Like all audio descriptors, "impact" can mean different things to different people. For example, the Shure 440 has very neutral bass quantity. In fact, some people would call it bass light. But to me it also has huge bass impact for the modest quantity it brings, because the attack speed of the bass is so fast. It hits so fast that it's very distinct and you can really feel it. However, I could also imagine someone describing slower bass with longer decay as having more impact.

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #7,587 of 11,286

Told you you would like them!!! LOL.
They are awesome.
I have both sides, a Shure 215SE and the C300s... both are excellent sounding (for the price... I paid like $65 for the Shures and like $100 for the Denons) and the C300s just have such big bass, it really surprised me. Definitely recommend them to all bass lovers.

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #7,589 of 11,286
  I love IEM bass when it's done correctly. It really is something to behold.

I've decided I'm going to make it my life mission to convert Mshenay into an IEM basshead. 

I believe the C300 could make him a believer.  They remind me of an IEM version of the M-Audio Q40 with just as much, if not more, bass impact and minus the sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back