The Basshead Club
Aug 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #7,051 of 11,286
Good input.

I tried over ten pad combos on the Q40 with mixed, yet clear and definitely differing results. Learned a lot and so glad I tried the Alpha pads. I'm done modding it.

The Alpha pads also sound great on my D2000 and Pro900. Good pads Mr Speaker is making.

Any other pad upgrades to the q40 that aren't so expensive? I was originally looking to buy 60 dollar headphones but I've been convinced to go for the q40... But I want better-sealing and more comfortable/deeper pads.. Any cheap alternatives?

Also, why is the q40 108 dollars on their site but 128 on amazon?

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #7,053 of 11,286
Quote:
Any other pad upgrades to the q40 that aren't so expensive? I was originally looking to buy 60 dollar headphones but I've been convinced to go for the q40... But I want better-sealing and more comfortable/deeper pads.. Any cheap alternatives?

Also, why is the q40 108 dollars on their site but 128 on amazon?

Have you looked at the Q40 threads?  There's a couple of them that have a multitude of good ideas like Prakhar's rope mod idea.  Part of the problem I felt was the pads stock just aren't very good period.  I've tried that one as well and use the rope mod on a couple of other headphones.  Had it under my M-100 pads to give some depth and it helped.  Unfortunately not enough and didn't solve the real problem which was hole opening.

To answer your question - yes, for example the Shure 840 pad for $12 is a good alternative, as is the HiFiMan pleathers which are a very large opening for $20.  Those are my favorite two after the Alpha pad swap. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #7,054 of 11,286
Have you looked at the Q40 threads?  There's a couple of them that have a multitude of good ideas like Prakhar's rope mod idea.  Part of the problem I felt was the pads stock just aren't very good period.  I've tried that one as well and use the rope mod on a couple of other headphones.  Had it under my M-100 pads to give some depth and it helped.  Unfortunately not enough and didn't solve the real problem which was hole opening.

To answer your question - yes, for example the Shure 840 pad for $12 is a good alternative, as is the HiFiMan pleathers which are a very large opening for $20.  Those are my favorite two after the Alpha pad swap. 

I'd rather get new pads than stuff rope or paper towel into 100 dollar headphones haha

Any advantage to the shure vs hifiman pads?

Also, any problem ordering directly from m audio instead of amazon?

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #7,055 of 11,286
Quote:
I'd rather get new pads than stuff rope or paper towel into 100 dollar headphones haha

Any advantage to the shure vs hifiman pads?

Also, any problem ordering directly from m audio instead of amazon?

If you have very large ears HiFiMan has more clearance.  Shure is probably a better choice overall though.

Should be no issue ordering direct from the manufacturer. 

Let us know if/when you do order.  

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #7,056 of 11,286
Fellow bass lovers, you need to try these headphones.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Red-White-Black-Bluedio-R-NFC-Bluetooth-4-0-Headset-Wireless-Headphone-Earphone/1150772046.html

These have monstrous bass, I'd say a bass signature like the M-100 has, in part due to the built in Maxim headphone amp built into it. It also has apt-x, bluetooth LE 4.0, hands free calling, nfc, microsd, and it is under $100 here, compared to $179 at Amazon. That's a steal for apt-x headphones.

The internal amp doesn't get used during line in, which is a smart decision. It won't get double amped during dac/amp use.

I don't like being the only one to hear these so far. Someone else needs to try them. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #7,057 of 11,286
Fellow bass lovers, you need to try these headphones.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Red-White-Black-Bluedio-R-NFC-Bluetooth-4-0-Headset-Wireless-Headphone-Earphone/1150772046.html

These have monstrous bass, I'd say a bass signature like the M-100 has, in part due to the built in Maxim headphone amp built into it. It also has apt-x, bluetooth LE 4.0, hands free calling, nfc, microsd, and it is under $100 here, compared to $179 at Amazon. That's a steal for apt-x headphones.

The internal amp doesn't get used during line in, which is a smart decision. It won't get double amped during dac/amp use.

I don't like being the only one to hear these so far. Someone else needs to try them. 

They look like Beats knockoffs. Do they come with an Apt-X dongle for players that don't have Apt-X built-in? Maybe if you hype them enough in the discovery thread someone else will buy them :) http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #7,058 of 11,286
Quote:

They look like Beats knockoffs. Do they come with an Apt-X dongle for players that don't have Apt-X built-in? Maybe if you hype them enough in the discovery thread someone else will buy them :) http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724

It definitely looks like a beats knock off, but I've been liking them quite a bit. The mids and highs are relaxed a bit unless you hit high volumes, so those who like tons of treble might not be into the sound. It reminds me of my old Crossfade LPs.

I originally bought the Monoprice "premium bluetooth" headphones since I liked the 8323s, but then I found out this is the OEM that makes them, and that the R+ is the new 4.0 NFC apt-x model.

I use this $13 adapter for apt-x and 4.0. The drivers suck, and I haven't been able to get apt-x to work with it on Win8 x64.
http://www.amazon.com/Azio-Bluetooth-Adapter-Version-BTD-V400/dp/B00AQGGKV6

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #7,059 of 11,286
If you have very large ears HiFiMan has more clearance.  Shure is probably a better choice overall though.

Should be no issue ordering direct from the manufacturer. 

Let us know if/when you do order.  

I've been reading reviews on the shure pads. Some mention sound leakage and bass reduction. Does this apply to the q40 at all? My priority is bass, comfort comes second

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #7,060 of 11,286
Quote:
I've been reading reviews on the shure pads. Some mention sound leakage and bass reduction. Does this apply to the q40 at all? My priority is bass, comfort comes second

I don't think so.  Been a while since I had the Shures on but from memory there was NO bass loss.  The only pad with bass loss was with the Beyer velours - they KILLED the bass and went off in about a NY minute. 

Try the stock pads first.  Some guys (RPGWizard) LOVE the stock pads (so much that I sent him mine from Oregon to FINLAND).  Then for $12 try the Shures................but for sure the Alpha to me are the pinnacle.  Made the Q40 almost as good as some of my higher end cans.  And to me, a basshead for sure, it was worth $60 for that tight thumping bass. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #7,061 of 11,286

Make sure they're the Shure 840 pads and not the 440 pads. In fact, bass will increase on the Shure 440 headphones if you put the 840 pads on them.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #7,063 of 11,286
I don't think so.  Been a while since I had the Shures on but from memory there was NO bass loss.  The only pad with bass loss was with the Beyer velours - they KILLED the bass and went off in about a NY minute. 

Try the stock pads first.  Some guys (RPGWizard) LOVE the stock pads (so much that I sent him mine from Oregon to FINLAND).  Then for $12 try the Shures................but for sure the Alpha to me are the pinnacle.  Made the Q40 almost as good as some of my higher end cans.  And to me, a basshead for sure, it was worth $60 for that tight thumping bass. 

Yeah I'll try stock first. 60 dollars is way too steep for pads, I already upped my budget for the headphones. I was actually set on just getting xb600 but I'm trying new things

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #7,065 of 11,286
Quote:
The hifiman leathers decrease the bass as well.

Depends: If you keep the rubber ring that's placed underneath the pads it will actually increase lows and further remove highs vs stock Q40. However the bass quantity you get is of pretty poor quality, makes the beautiful textured but strong bass response of Q40 lose some of its texture and I don't think it's a good idea to further decrease the highs either. If you remove the rubber rings with the Hifimans you get the opposite, a bit less bass and more highs instead. Isolation at least for me is also pretty poor with the Hifimans but pretty nice with the stock pads, a really huge difference for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back