The Basshead Club
Apr 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #5,866 of 11,286
Alright, so I'm a basshead who's looking for a set of headphones that'll satisfy that bass craving when it shows up without breaking the bank.

I'm waffling between a set of like new Pro700MK2s on Amazon for $120, or just settling for a JVC HAM5X or HAS4X off of ebay for less than $40. Obviously, I'm looking for ridiculous amounts of bass here, otherwise I'd just go with my M50 and be done with it.

Of the three, should I spend the extra cash to go for the Pro700 or go for one of the lower end JVC cans?
Look at the JVC HA-S500, they really are AMAZING basshead headphones for the price, I think Soundfreaq really liked them for the price as well (He heard them at a meet), also, Soundfreaq (Forgot your name, sorry), how did you like the ZO2.3?

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #5,867 of 11,286
Quote:
Alright, so I'm a basshead who's looking for a set of headphones that'll satisfy that bass craving when it shows up without breaking the bank.

I'm waffling between a set of like new Pro700MK2s on Amazon for $120, or just settling for a JVC HAM5X or HAS4X off of ebay for less than $40. Obviously, I'm looking for ridiculous amounts of bass here, otherwise I'd just go with my M50 and be done with it.

Of the three, should I spend the extra cash to go for the Pro700 or go for one of the lower end JVC cans?

You won't get ridiculous amount of bass with the PRO700MK2. However, when amped, bass quantity will be increased without sacrificing much quality from its overall sound. The HA-M5X and S4X are bassier out of the box, just as dark sounding, but the mid-range is a bit more recessed. Besides, I very much prefer the sound of the PRO700MK2. Just be sure to amp/EQ them to bring out its bass quantity.

Still, if you think the M50 is somewhat bassy, I'm sure you'll find the PRO700MK2's bass quite huge in comparison.

Anyway, slightly OT here, but I don't know why JVC didn't make the Xtreme Xplosives cans a little more v-shaped. The FX1X IEM balances a strong bass presentation with equally prominent treble. However, the 2 cans are quite dark and do sound muffled at times.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #5,868 of 11,286
Anyway, this is probably old news, but AKG has released an updated to their popular K 518 DJ/LE, the K618DJ. From reviews, it seems like it's a decent basshead can that retains the good properties of the K 518 DJ/LE, but without those gaudy colors. Looks like something worth watching out for. 
smile.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #5,869 of 11,286
Quote:

I think that Q40 just right between the prices would be an awesome buy. I love mine.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #5,870 of 11,286
Quote:

You won't get ridiculous amount of bass with the PRO700MK2. However, when amped, bass quantity will be increased without sacrificing much quality from its overall sound. The HA-M5X and S4X are bassier out of the box, just as dark sounding, but the mid-range is a bit more recessed. Besides, I very much prefer the sound of the PRO700MK2. Just be sure to amp/EQ them to bring out its bass quantity.

Still, if you think the M50 is somewhat bassy, I'm sure you'll find the PRO700MK2's bass quite huge in comparison.

Anyway, slightly OT here, but I don't know why JVC didn't make the Xtreme Xplosives cans a little more v-shaped. The FX1X IEM balances a strong bass presentation with equally prominent treble. However, the 2 cans are quite dark and do sound muffled at times.

Well no, actually, the M50 isn't "bassy" to me. It's bass emphasized, but not really bassy on my scale. The WS55 would be bassy to me. I would be amping the Pro700MK2 with my O2+ODAC combo so I guess that would be my best bet.

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #5,871 of 11,286
Just bought XB500, practically no burn-in so far, so it can get only better 
cool.gif

In comparison to S600s (both used with EQ [the magical friend of your wallet 
biggrin.gif
], to make them sound as good as it gets)

- XB500 feels way more solid and pleasant to touch, no crackling noises, it could maybe even compete with DT770 (which I sold not so long ago) it's not AS sturdy, but it's definitely smoother with no harsh clicks when twisting it.
- A tiny bit (only) more bass on XB (tried cranking it to the limits), this confirms my statements about ridiculous sub-bass potential of S600s. 
- Soundstage definitely better on Sonys 
- Properly  EQed XB500 has more natural mids than JVCs, better mid-bass response also helps to avoid this funny highs bleeding to mids, when,  let me call it, a "tap-kick", calls for mids.

Overall, with tweaked EQ, this is a really nice HP with decent SQ and amazing bass response, although it's not very portable, especially compared to JVCs, but will definitely keep them for using indoors or some car/bus trips. 

BTW, I have a Black Noire version made in 06/2012, I guess it's in the group of the last made XB500s, what's more, it was the last one in the store! I bought them for ~65$ (converted from LT) and I thought I'am overpaying slightly, but now I see the prices on amazon raised to a minimum of $70, so I'am glad I bought em, furthermore, they are definitely worth every penny I paid.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #5,873 of 11,286
Quote:
Just bought XB500, practically no burn-in so far, so it can get only better 
cool.gif

In comparison to S600s (both used with EQ [the magical friend of your wallet 
biggrin.gif
], to make them sound as good as it gets)

- XB500 feels way more solid and pleasant to touch, no crackling noises, it could maybe even compete with DT770 (which I sold not so long ago) it's not AS sturdy, but it's definitely smoother with no harsh clicks when twisting it.
- A tiny bit (only) more bass on XB (tried cranking it to the limits), this confirms my statements about ridiculous sub-bass potential of S600s. 
- Soundstage definitely better on Sonys 
- Properly  EQed XB500 has more natural mids than JVCs, better mid-bass response also helps to avoid this funny highs bleeding to mids, when,  let me call it, a "tap-kick", calls for mids.

Overall, with tweaked EQ, this is a really nice HP with decent SQ and amazing bass response, although it's not very portable, especially compared to JVCs, but will definitely keep them for using indoors or some car/bus trips. 

BTW, I have a Black Noire version made in 06/2012, I guess it's in the group of the last made XB500s, what's more, it was the last one in the store! I bought them for ~65$ (converted from LT) and I thought I'am overpaying slightly, but now I see the prices on amazon raised to a minimum of $70, so I'am glad I bought em, furthermore, they are definitely worth every penny I paid.

And the price in the used market will always hold its' ground.  I'll likely never sell my XB500 or XB700 but if I wanted to in the next year or so they will fetch good 'collector' pricing.................lol. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #5,874 of 11,286
How does the bass on the JVC HA-S500 compare to your HE-400?
I find it punchier and much more enjoyable for electronic, in fact, I barely use my HE400s for electronic unless I'm too lazy or am listening to it in between downloading anime. :wink:

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #5,875 of 11,286
Quote:
I find it punchier and much more enjoyable for electronic, in fact, I barely use my HE400s for electronic unless I'm too lazy or am listening to it in between downloading anime.
wink.gif

I know it's not fair to compare them since they are at a different price point, but are you saying the JVC HA-S500 have better bass quality or quantity compared to the HE-400? I'm assuming the HE-400 is a much better all arounder headphone since it costs a lot more?

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #5,876 of 11,286
Quote:

I know it's not fair to compare them since they are at a different price point, but are you saying the JVC HA-S500 have better bass quality or quantity compared to the HE-400? I'm assuming the HE-400 is a much better all arounder headphone since it costs a lot more?

The HE-400 and S500 is my most used headphones right now and when I'm in the mood for bassy music, I usually skip the HE-400 and go for the S500. 
I don't consider the HE-400 a basshead headphone, it's bassy but not basshead level in my opinion.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #5,877 of 11,286
Quote:
The HE-400 and S500 is my most used headphones right now and when I'm in the mood for bassy music, I usually skip the HE-400 and go for the S500. 
I don't consider the HE-400 a basshead headphone, it's bassy but not basshead level in my opinion.

Do you find the mids on the S500 recessed? Since the HE-400 is an open back, I'm assuming it will sound a lot more natural, open, spacious, with better soundstage and instrument separation? Also do you think the quality of bass is better on the S500? Or is there just more of it since it's closed back?

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #5,878 of 11,286
Hey guys, I need help!

So basically I think my ATH-PRO700MK2s are breaking ( already!!). Sound from the left drivers consistently goes down for a while until it goes dead silent. It comes back sometimes after I unlpug and re-plug after like a dozen times but even then eventually it happens again.

You guys think I should return these?

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #5,879 of 11,286
Do you find the mids on the S500 recessed? Since the HE-400 is an open back, I'm assuming it will sound a lot more natural, open, spacious, with better soundstage and instrument separation? Also do you think the quality of bass is better on the S500? Or is there just more of it since it's closed back?
It's hard to really compare the 2, but I like the bass on the S500s a lot more, as they aren't as muddy on some recordings (KeyCLASSIC). :wink:

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #5,880 of 11,286
Quote:
Hey guys, I need help!

So basically I think my ATH-PRO700MK2s are breaking ( already!!). Sound from the left drivers consistently goes down for a while until it goes dead silent. It comes back sometimes after I unlpug and re-plug after like a dozen times but even then eventually it happens again.

You guys think I should return these?

It depends on your preference if you like more one sided or stereo sound.
biggrin.gif

Of course return them, why are you even asking this?
wink.gif

Quote:
It's hard to really compare the 2, but I like the bass on the S500s a lot more, as they aren't as muddy on some recordings (KeyCLASSIC).
wink.gif

Highly doubt that... I think you got obsessed
L3000.gif

Maybe the recording itself is crappy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back