The Basshead Club
Mar 30, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #5,732 of 11,286
Kids and friends are on Spring Break this whole week. Had to take my rig out to the Garage to get some peace and quiet around here! :D
Anyway, here' s a little comparison I did today for the Sig DJ thread. Thought the Basshead Club might be interested in this:

Comparing them isn't as easy as I thought it might be. For one, the Fostex make every one of my other headphones sound muffled in comparison. They are much more similar in character to the HiFi Man HE500s than to the Signature DJ in my opinion. An HE500 on Steroids is a good characterization for these. Comparing them directly to the Signature DJs is not really a fair comparison considering they do cost twice as much... Having said that, if you don't directly compare, the Signature DJ's would be a fitting end game for many a Basshead. I love them and I plan to keep them as my portable rig. The Fostex are far too fragile feeling for me to haul them around with much confidence. 

I'm guessing you probably want to know mostly about how the BASS compares so I won't keep you in suspense. Looking at the frequency charts it would seem like the Th-900 should blow the DJ's away, but it's really not the case in terms of perceived quantity. On some tracks the Th-900s have more and on others the DJs have more. It's very close. Overall, the Th-900 has more, but not enough to spend the $1000.00 for.

The reason the Fostex cost two grand is because of whatever magical material they made the drivers out of. The Bass is extremely musical. I am hearing things from the Fostex that I've never heard before and I promise you, I have never used that phrase before. My Father was an Audiophile and I grew up around high end speakers and amps my whole life. He had Fischer and Marantz when those names meant something. The Th-900s are as close as I've come to that level of audiophilia since I began this hobby.

Anyway enough about the Th-900s......

Nice impression and comparison!

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #5,734 of 11,286
Is that a Buick Enclave??? :D Also, are you going to keep BOTH? If so, sorry I said something! :p

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #5,736 of 11,286

I am eyeing on Denon D7000s which is supposed to be a more fun TH900 with more bass but less refinement for 1/2 the price, the th900 is out of my budget! But still at te d7ks MSRP, there's a lot of competition!

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #5,737 of 11,286
Quote:
Is that a Buick Enclave???
biggrin.gif
Also, are you going to keep BOTH? If so, sorry I said something!
tongue.gif

Yeah! Come to think of it, it was YOU who put the bug in my ear about the Th-900s. Well I'm glad you did because they are exactly what I've been looking for. Oh, and  It is NOT a Buick Enclave. How dare you!  It's a Lexus GX470 Kid Hauler. A sexier vehicle doesn't exist. 
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #5,739 of 11,286
great comparison bareyb. Very useful and informative.

I see a sig dj in my near future thanks to craigster and bareyb...

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #5,740 of 11,286
TBH, the often overlooked JVC "Victor" DX1000 should also be a candidate. :wink: This packs a huge amount bass for a ~$1000+ can, probably slightly more so than these even, I think some1 mentioned +12dB, whether how accurate that is, is another thing but it's known to be bassy for the price.

Comment on Audiocubes:
They are expensive, but are very comfy, well built and above all, very fun to listen. They're not neutral cans, their bass response from the lowest lows (they play 15Hz and you feel it, I've measured it) up to about 200Hz is increased by 12dB from the response at 1KHz. Above that they roll-off steadily. This makes for a very relaxed sound, warm, yet detailed and clean. In spite of their coloration they tell the differences among recordings and ancillaries, but never become fatiguing, harsh or amusical, nor boring, muddy or dark.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #5,741 of 11,286
Quote:
(Sorry guys, seriously off-topic)

@Malovent,

Who do you find when you go down to Stereo and Jaben. I always talk to Yen from Stereo and Kren Shaw from Jaben. I am spending quite a bit on a set of cans and was wondering if you got any chance of getting a discount if you like buy from them really often!

Thx, and sorry for not being to go down to Stereo with you. I'm going down on Monday to Stereo before Lunch Time but I kinda doubt you can make it, but thanks for your help anyway! 

I hardly go down to Jaben, but I talk to Crenshaw from time to time. At Stereo, I love chatting with Kendric, Jun Yan, Joe, Ryan and Desmond.

Yeah, I'm sorry I can't accompany you to Stereo on weekdays before 7, as I'm working. Hope we can meet one of these days, though. :)

Quote:

The original Skullcrushers sound really pathetic and the bass has like a veeeeery narrow 100Hz midbass spike and very sharp subbass rolloff. Luckily though any new product Skullcandy now introduces is part of their "premium sound" concept (basicly they got an audio engineer these days and doing in-house development instead of just importing chinese OEM stuff ^^) so at least this new Skullcrushers should sound a lot better than the old ones because those were really bad.

The Skullcandy headphones that are part of "premium sound" campaign are Hesh 2.0, Aviators, Mix Masters Mike which all measures significantly better than the other Skullcandy products. Not like these new Skullcandy products are any really impressive either but it's a noticable step forward

Yup, that narrow spike doesn't look very promising. Still, I am intrigued to try them out, at least for testing purposes. Have you owned them before?

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #5,742 of 11,286
TBH, the often overlooked JVC "Victor" DX1000 should also be a candidate. :wink: This packs a huge amount bass for a ~$1000+ can, probably slightly more so than these even, I think some1 mentioned +12dB, whether how accurate that is, is another thing but it's known to be bassy for the price.

Comment on Audiocubes:

I think the reason why they are overlooked is because they are quite hard to find! Haven't seen one in my country yet, maybe I can ask around. :)

@Malovent

Yup, we should def. meet up and hopefully in the future even organize the first Singapore headfi meet or was there one before?
________________________________________________________________________________________

Thinking back 2 Months ago where my mindset was to find the headphones with THE BIGGEST BASS. However, Headfi has changed me during the duration of 2 months and I am no longer like the same sucka for bass as I was 2 months ago. HOWEVER! I can still glad to report that I am still a basshead as I can't stand NEUTRAL bass and bass shy headphones are garbage to me. Oh well, I quote from a post a few pages back, I think I can confirm that I'm a basshead as I'm going to strike off any headphone if they didn't have enough bass, but I'm beginning to think of amps with a extra bass switch. I can say though, Headfi has thought me to appreciate the sense of openness or soundstage, clarity but it also made me a serious critic of headphones. Now, I can't even wear closed cans or rapper cans anymore because just based on the memory of how good the Sennheiser HD650 sounded, it blows EVERY RAPPER CAN out of the water and also put up a good fight against anything >1000USD with the exception of some really good cans like the Denon D7000s. Hopefully, even after decades, I would be a proud BASSHEAD.

As the saying goes, THERE CAN NEVER BE ENOUGH BASS, but of course not at the expense of overall SQ.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #5,745 of 11,286
Yeah! Come to think of it, it was YOU who put the bug in my ear about the Th-900s. Well I'm glad you did because they are exactly what I've been looking for. Oh, and  It is NOT a Buick Enclave. How dare you!  It's a Lexus GX470 Kid Hauler. A sexier vehicle doesn't exist. :p
Well, you're welcome, and sooooorrrrryyyy about the car! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back